What's New Now?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by surprised_by_witches, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Chris

Chris New Member

Help :( I agreed to work at WHSmith at Gatwick Airport every Saturday from 1pm - 9pm. Now I'm really regretting it :( I'm already missing something this Saturday with my friends because I'm working. The next few months are gonna be crap...

*sigh* Need to look for another job...

2. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Aw, Chris. I know how you feel. I remember once, when I was working anti-social hours, that some member of the public made a sarcy comment to the effect: "they must be paying you a lot to be working this late" ... hours later, and still in a bad mood I thought of a smart-arse reply. It was scant consolation, but it helped a bit to put a smile back on me boat. I should've come back smartly with: "well you must be paid a lot because you aren't working this late!"

Anyway. My puter is busy dying at the moment. Actually it's just the graphics card wot's dyin' and I am holding off on BV until I sort things out. Trouble is ... I only have a socket A mobo with AGP. So just buying a decent gpu is an expensive dead end ... plus I'd need a new psu for any sort of graphics card with any oomph. I costed out a 200 upgrade (1GB DDR 400, ATI X1950 Pro 512MB, & 450watt psu) and thought what's the point of that! Now I am looking at the following:All for 333.05 inc vat and delivery.

Any geeks with comments? Value? If I swap out the hardware and leave Windows untouched on the HD will it (Windows) have a cow when I reboot after such a transplant? (I ask cos I am proposing to upgrade to Vista next year and I can't face the hassle of wasting a day installing stuff. It's not so much the OS as all the ancilliary guff that takes the time ... and that's before one even gets around to bunging useful stuff like games in.

Just as a PS ... the above package does what I have done with every previous upgrade. Every single item is double the speed/capacity of its predecessor (I love the idea of the X1950 cos it has double the RAM with double the memory bus and close to double the clock speed of my existing fx 5600 ... and thats before we start looking at the faster memory. Of course the system RAM is twice as much and twice as fast as is the processor. Trouble is the PSU is also 3 times the power ... I'll have to plant a few trees to offset me carbon footprint. (And maybe fit a cooling fan on the 'lecky meter :p )

3. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

Hey, congrats, Sacha and Allie. I've had my avatar a while now. Maybe it's time to update it. I just love that picture, though.

Love yours, too, Sacha! I'm a big Rosetti fan.

4. Sacharissa

Sacharissa New Member

Thanks, SBW! Yeah, ya just gotta love those Pre-Raphaelites! I once spent two hours just absorbing the vibes in the Pre-Raphaelite Room at the Tate Gallery in London...Gotta get back there some day!

PS - I've always liked your picture too!

5. muffin-tacos

muffin-tacos Queen of Xeex

I like both of your avatars. Their very nice and unique. Suit you guys just fine. :D

Sorry to hear that your computer is dying, Mirelly. And, Chris, I know how you feel. I'm just going to say, never work at a nursery. Sure, the kids are all adorable and follow you around all the time but I came home exhausted everyday. Plus, the pay isn't that good.

6. surprised_by_witches

The computer sounds nice, Mirelly. I don't know what the video card compares to, but the rest sounds spiffy.

I've done some research and what I've learned is the sims needs CPU power most of all. That and a decent amount of RAM. Video comes in third.

Yeah, I like the picture. It's of minor sims of mine but the lighting worked out nicely. :)

7. Sacharissa

Sacharissa New Member

That was taken at the Crypt o'Night Club in Porta de Luca, wasn't it?

8. Jazz

Jazz Vintage User

aah! I LOVE having a custom avatar!! and just because i won the contest before Seasons came out. Muffin, you're getting pretty close too i must say. Maybe post in the forum games a little? I need a different avatar, i don't really like the one i have right now. but i just can't find one.

9. hugzncuddles

hugzncuddles New Member

Posts in the Forum Games threads don't count towards your post count. ;) If they did, we would all have very high post counts lol.

10. alliekat

alliekat Insert quirky comment

Ha, I really need to catch up on posts. Only about 750 to go lol. :p

Anyways, been slowly getting everything ready for the "engagement party". Do you know that ebay is a fantastic place? Just love it. Bought my dress on there and I must say it fits fantastical. It's a bit long, but that's an easy fix. Now I just need shoes. It's so much cheaper to do it this way too, everything is so expensive! :eek:

Honeymoon is pretty much planned to. Sydney for a couple of days, then a cruise to the South Pacific. I'm so looking forward to March 2008! :D

11. Odinmoon

Odinmoon Creator of organised mess

If my game counts were counted I would have 1000 posts I think lol:rolleyes:

12. Jazz

Jazz Vintage User

Whats new today is that i uninstalled Pets fr one. My CPU is soooo mcuh faster without it. Ahhh its great. But my sims still can't swim in the ocean :( Also, my first parish school of religion class was today. I thought it was gonna be really boring, but its not! Great teacher, still great classmates, its all good. Well, homework is calling ive gots to go. Bye all!

13. Helén

Helén Posting Queen

So true... And maybe that's good though... :)

14. muffin-tacos

Hehe, I can already have a custom avatar. :D *dances around in circles*
    But I'm still kind of excited about reaching 900 posts soon because it's a big number. A biiiiig number. I can't believe I've got over 800 posts already. And I haven't even been around for that long. It's funny. And Moon, I totally agree with you. I'd have a few hundred more posts if my game ones counted too. :rolleyes:

15. muffin-tacos

Oh and I forgot to write what's new (which was the reason why I was visiting this thread in the first place :rolleyes: -- silly ole me).

Me and a couple of friends bunked off maths today. Yes, shame on us. So we spent an hour at my friend's house drinking tea and being entertained by her cats (seriously, they're crazy :D). When we were going back, of course our maths teacher caught us but luckily we had a fake story planned and my friend Ellen is such a great actor so the teacher let us off. She believes everything you say really... Plus, nobody messes with Ellen. :rolleyes: And I think she was secretly glad that we hadn't turned up because, well, Ellen and I can be pretty annoying at times during maths--to say the least. :eek: *ahem*

16. surprised_by_witches

Ah yes, playing hooky. A valuable part of the educational experience. :p

17. jupitershana

jupitershana Kitty Fanatic!

I LOVE ebay! So far I've got my necklace, earings, flower girl baskets/ring bearer pillow (haven't arrived yet), fake fur shrugs for the girls and myself, and my tiara on ebay for the wedding. I contemplated getting my dress on ebay as well; quite a few dress makers there who will custom make it to your size but then I fell in love with one I tried on instead!

And I'm soooo jealous of your honeymoon. So far we don't have anything planned. *sigh* Brandon has never flown and I've yet to convince him that he wants to. So in the freakin end of January in Minnesota; one of the coldest months of the year, we will more then likely be heading up North to go to one of the ski lodges up there...but neither of us ski. So we'll bundle up inside around a fireplace and make sure we have a jacuzzi suite and get a few massages at the lodge spa. It will be nice I'm sure, but I'd still rather be on a beach.

We should start a wedding plans thread for yourself, myself and hugz; and any other new brides (or grooms!) who happen to come our way!

18. muffin-tacos

Oh, that would be lovely. You guys could post all your pwetty wedding pics there as well. :bouncy: Yay, wedding pics!

19. Sacharissa

Sacharissa New Member

I only played hooky once in high school - and I had the teacher's permission to do it! How sad is that??? :eek:

20. Odinmoon

Odinmoon Creator of organised mess

Hooky Bunk ? Whats this? We wag school or Jig school.:D