Troubleshooting Buying a New Computer?

Discussion in 'The Sims 3' started by ManagerJosh, Jan 20, 2009.

1. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Buying a New Computer?

Are you buying a new computer for The Sims 3? Well, before you jump out and buy it, think about the fact there will be expansion packs coming. So don't simply buy a computer that's just barely hitting the bare minimum specs. Buy a PC that's mid-ranged and more powerful. This way you can run the expansion packs.

Granted of course that budgets are tight, and the economy sucks, but keep an eye out for specials, deals, etc.

Laptop users you'll need to in general shell out more for a brand new unit because in general it's difficult to upgrade and more or less components aren't upgradeable.

Desktop users, well if you can't shell out enough cash for items right now, buy a low to midrange system or a barebone unit and then perform a series of small upgrades here and there to support your Sims 3 cravings. Get a unit which allows you the flexibility to upgrade your system so you can expand your systems as the system requirements for The Sims 3 increase.

2. JohnEZ

JohnEZ The Mac Guy

Umm, excuse me. Macs run Windows, too. :rolleyes:

3. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

Yeah but don't most Macs cost an arm and a leg and one of your gonads? :rotfl:
    Especially the Intel Macs?

4. JohnEZ

JohnEZ The Mac Guy

No. An entry level iMac--which is capable of running TS3, once Windows is added--can be had for $1199+tax, and features a 250GB hard disc and 1GB of RAM. The RAM can be upgraded to 4GB at any time. And the computer has a 20" display! :) In addition to that, it's nearly silent and is better supported than most PC counterparts :p

Oh! And when bought by a qualifying student, they get $50 off the machine. :D

5. ManagerJosh

I meant PC as in Personal Computers, not Windows :p

6. abstractambience

abstractambience New Member

What would be the ideal computer you would recommend to play the Sims 3 AND future expansion packs? I don't know much about the inner workings of computers and, don't trust sales people (they always want to sell you stuff that you don't need.). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

7. JohnEZ

JohnEZ The Mac Guy

I prefer the iMac--the $1499 model would work well for you in this situation--but considering I'm biased to Mac vs. PC, I'll let someone else comment on the PC portion :p

8. swmeek

I would suggest something with a cpu of 3.0 MHZ (like a Core2Duo), 2-4 GB's of good fast ram, the motherboard will need to support PCI-express x16 or 2.0 video cards, a 500 - 750 GB hard drive with at least a 7200 rpm speed and a 16 mb cache in it, either something like the Nvidia 8800, 9600 or 9800 gt video card or an ATI 3850 or above video card, as far as sound goes so long as the motherboard supports Dolby 5.1 which will be all you'll need (integrated sound chip) and a power supply somewhere around a 500 -600 watt power supply which will help you if you ever decide to upgrade any more , all throwed in a case with plenty of fans to keep it cool during the summer months should last you as long the Sims3 keeps going.
    In other words steer clear of the HP, Dell, Compac,Acer and anything else you'd buy pre-built.
    Basically figure this : how much do you want to or can spend on a pc?
    Will you just need the tower part or everything to go with it? (mouse ,keyboard,monitor, etc)
    I would highly suggest you go to one the websites where you pick out the parts and they build it for you like Cyberpower or if you're in the U.K. a site similar to that.
    If you need help feel free to ask!

9. ManagerJosh

I'd personally suggest getting

Intel Core i7 Processor
    Asus/MSI Motherboard
    3GB of RAM MINIMUM... 4GB Suggested. 6GB. AWESOME :D
    750GB SATA2 Hard Drive
    GeForce 9800GT PCI-E with 512MB DDR3
    22x DVD-RW

If you have extra cash, I strongly suggest getting a sound card. Maybe a Creative Labs Audigy 2ZD, Creative Labs X-Fi Xtreme Gamer, Asus Xonar D2 or Asus Xonar HD. This allows you to get better sound for your computer but at the same time offsets a lot of your audio processing onto the sound card rather than have your CPU do the calculations for Audio.

As for a power supply, I'd think something like an Antec 80PLUS EA 650 or an OCZ Technology GameXStream Power Supply 700W would be good. It gives you breathing room as you expand.

10. abstractambience

TY all

Thank you everyone! I will be looking around for computers with the specs you all listed, perhaps I will find someone that would build it for me, lol.

11. swmeek

Core I7 system is a bit wayyyyyyy to much overkill for the casual gamer!
    But if that person played a lot of games like Far Cry2, Crysis, Fallout 3,etc then it would be a great system.
    But it wouldn't stop me from building a system based off of it!

12. abstractambience

Ok, I have been looking around and came across this, would you please take a look and let me know if this is what it would take to play the Sims 3?
    http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Mega_Special_IV/

I really appreciate your time and help.

13. swmeek

Heck yeah it will !
    It may be a tad overkill but what the heck right?
    I would check around about a few things first.
    You should check and make sure that the memory and the motherboard are compatible with each other.
    Some motherboards are kinda quirky about what memory they will take.
    You might go over to this forum and ask if they are.
    www.bjorn3d.com and yes you might see my name there.
    Just tell them you are buying a gaming computer and not what game you gonna buy it for as they're kinda diehard gamers over there and not simmers.
    I would assume you have the operating system already or are you buying it from somewhere else?
    Monitor , speakers, keyboard and mouse you have those too?
    I would also make one tiny suggestion that you get a floppy drive if ever you need to make a raid boot disk if you ever have more than one hard drive.
    They would probably also recommend a different case and power supply too .

14. JohnEZ

JohnEZ The Mac Guy

In a world where technology is "dated" in six months, overkill doesn't exist :p It's why I with with the highest spec iMac I possibly could. :rolleyes:

(Sorry, I had to keep the Apple influence in here somehow :eek:)

15. ManagerJosh

I'm sure we'd all get Mac's if we had great hookups like you do John :D

16. abstractambience

Thank you all for being so helpful, I really appreciate every post.

17. ManagerJosh

Do come back and show us pictures of your rig and specs too :). I'd love to see them :D

18. Nyx

Nyx The Ever-Knowing

I want to get a new mac or pc but...i guess i'll wait until my father lets me get one for my 21st birthday present or something =)

19. ManagerJosh

Bob could always buy you a new computer :rotfl: :stirthepot:

20. wouldnteeth

wouldnteeth New Member

Hey there. I've played The Sims franchise on PC since it first came out until the day my laptop crashed about 2 years ago. I saw that The Sims 3 was coming out and I felt that all familiar twinge of excitement. I've since decided to get a Mac with much prodding from my wife and was so happy to know that The Sims 3 would be available for it. So my Mac's on its way but I've got one question for you Mac players out there. I frequented Sims sites for my downloadable custom content for PC, but would those same sites and same files work on the Mac version of The Sims also? Or are there Mac only sites out there that I would have to get all of my custom content?