Troubleshooting SecuROM on Mac OS X?

Discussion in 'The Sims 3' started by JohnEZ, Feb 17, 2009.

1. JohnEZ

JohnEZ The Mac Guy

SecuROM on Mac OS X?

Hey, just a question, because this may be the determining factor in whether or not I install TS3 on my Mac or on my Windows partition...

Anyone know if SecuROM is Mac compatible? I guess this is the one time I'm almost praying for a compatibility issue. :rolleyes:

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

It's compatible :p I'm pretty sure of it. Some Canadian firm includes it in their Cipher program.

3. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

They want to make sure SecuRom gets on as many computers as possible so they can say what a great program it is and how many computers have it installed to prevent piracy! j/k :ducks:

4. ManagerJosh

Nonsense Steve. SecuROM in reality is an application designed to mobilize the world's computers to rebel against the human race! :D :ducks: :stirthepot:

5. JohnEZ

JohnEZ The Mac Guy

Well... I think I'll be installing it on my Mac nonetheless. No registry to screw up there. :rolleyes:

6. Nyx

Nyx The Ever-Knowing

I'm installing it on my mac too, so that there will be less chance of something bad happening to my comp.

7. swmeek

Ah so this is the first step in the Machines taking over the planet ala Terminator style! :ducks:

8. wouldnteeth

wouldnteeth New Member

Securom?

Can anyone tell me what SecuROM and DRM is? I'm new to mac. In fact, I'm still waiting for my Mac to be delivered to me. I'm planning on buying TS3 for it but I don't want something that's going to potentially screw up my brand new computer. Thank you in advance for your answer.

9. swmeek

SecuRom is an anti-piracy software program (that doesn't work) that Ea and a few other software companies use on their software like Sims 2 Bon Voyage and up EP"s ,Spore and a few other games.
    Basically it's supposed to stop people from pirating the games but it doesn't do squat to prevent them from pirating games.
    In the long run it's more of a pain in the butt for all the legitimate owners who buy their games and have to put up with the Bullcrap of registering their games and only being able to install it so many times on their pc's before it quits working,etc.
    You can go here and read up on it more if you like! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SecuROM

10. wouldnteeth

wouldnteeth New Member

That does sound like a pain in the butt! Thanks for your response. But what's this I hear about EA putting some kind of program in The Sims 3 that sees what sort of internet sites you get on while browsing so that it can put up advertising pop-ups?

11. swmeek

I'm pretty sure it's a load of Bullpoop.
    There was a big debacle about it over at TSR in the Sims3 thread before the mods got tired of people griping and closed the thread.
    If the game requires(d) a live internet connection it would hurt a lot of people especially the ones who have no internet but play games on their pcs.
    Plus it would be hard for them to get any ads on some people's like me pc's who play games with their internet connections turned off.

12. ManagerJosh

It was rumored that The Sims 3 could feature In Game Advertisements. Basically like in Battlefield 2142, there are predefined ad spots within the game that EA could sell ads.

In anycase, the whole load of rumors and junk started flying like EA being able to spy on what websites you were viewing or spawn popups and such. Needless to say, that would violate a whole mess of security protocols build in by a lot of browsers.

If IGAs were true, at most, EA would be tracking to see the reaction to the ads, ie. how long you'd be viewing an ad, or whether you go back to see it. I don't see how EA could stalk your browsing history in a browser or sniff out your cookies. Security experts would cause an uproar.

13. wouldnteeth

wouldnteeth New Member

14. ManagerJosh

I think they mean that when you register for online services, like thesims3.com, the serial number can only be registered once.

Nothing really new.