Disappearing Inventory

Discussion in 'The Sims 3' started by Ace, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Ace

Ace New Member

Disappearing Inventory

Why do my Sims keep losing their inventory? When one of them moves or I change active households all their inventory disappears. It's really annoying as they have bought quite a few skill books and then all of a sudden they're gone as well as any food and other things they had saved. I also had a couple get married and when she moved into the household everyone in the house lost their inventory.

Also I'm having a problem with the bookcase. How come when I open the bookcase there are a lot of books shown but I can't access them? Is it supposed to be this way? If I have a Sim put a book away I can never have them read it again either.

2. Nyx

Nyx The Ever-Knowing

First of all, have you updated yet? :biggrin:

To answer your first question, If a sim household moves, their personal inventories should still be intact. But, if you want to make sure that they don't lose them. Put all of their inventories to the family inventory in Buy Mode.
    Like their fridge and the bookcases to keep their books and food when you move or switch to another active household.(Note: I'm not quite sure about the latter, since I have not played for a number of weeks due to real life) :smile:
    You could probably do the same before a sim gets married to your household and moves in.
    It could also be a bug, since in my game they only lose their inventory and food if you change your active households and didn't put them in the family inventory.

It depends on the type of books really. If your sim bought and read any of the guitar song books, then once your sim reads them, they disappear. If it's a skill book, your selected sim cannot read a skill book that they are not skilled to read.
    Ex: If a sim have 2 cooking skills, then they could only read cooking book #1 until their skill level is 3. Then that is of no use to them. Now they could read cooking book #2.
    It would not show up in your bookcase unless you chose to open bookcase command. So when you pick the read...command, it shows the books your selected sim is able to read.

If I'm confusing you or you need more questions, Just post a reply back.
    HIH :biggrin:

3. nuffe

nuffe New Member

thats a mistery :p

4. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

If you move a Sim, their personal inventory shouldn't change. However, there are two choices for household stuff: sell off everything in the house or put it in the family inventory so that you have it for the new house.

However, if you do something to change the active household, then they will lose a lot of things. The game doesn't keep track of inventory and wishes for anything but the active household. So, if you change your active household, those will be lost.