Troubleshooting Sims 3 crashes!

Discussion in 'The Sims 3' started by Goose995, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Goose995

Goose995 New Member

I've had Sims 3 pretty much since it came out, and it's worked fine. Even after I installed Late Night I never experiences any issues with it, and the last time I played (which would've been a couple of months ago) it was working fine.

The game loads up completely, I even spent an hour or two making a family and started on creating a house, but as soon as I go into people-mode it crashes. I thought it could be the graphics are too high, but my computer is fairly advanced and that was never an issue before, so why would it be now?

Please help!

2. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

Is this a laptop? Is it possible that the unit got too warm while you were using it and so the graphics card malfunctioned? Also, is it possible that the components are starting to wear out? Those are all reasons why the game could be stressing your computer more now than it did in the past.

Also, have you done any updating. The new update with Generations is causing some problems according to some of the reports on the TS3 forum.

3. Goose995

Goose995 New Member

No, it's a desktop and it's only a couple of months old.... And I just updated the game before I started playing. I don't have Generations, but might the update possibly be causing problems anyway?

4. KatAnubis

Unfortunately, the update could be causing problems.

One thing you can try which sometimes helps is to exit the game, go to MyDocuments/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 (assuming you don't have a Mac, which takes different instructions.) Remove the .package files which have the word "cache" in them. Those are files that help the game start up faster. Unfortunately, they can get corrupted and cause problems. The good thing is that if you remove them, they will regenerate in a healthy form (until the next time they corrupt themselves.)

Also, just to be on the safe side, if you could post your dxdiag so that we can take a look at potential problems with your computer (even though it is advanced.)

5. Goose995

Goose995 New Member

I removed all the .package files, but it still does the same thing :(

How do I find out the dxdiag?

6. Goose995

Goose995 New Member

Wait, I think I figured it out...
    Does that help?

Attached Files:

7. Goose995

Goose995 New Member

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium (6.1, Build 7600) 64-bit
    Memory: 6144MB RAM
    Page File: 4281MB used, 78592MB available
    Windows Dir:
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GT 320
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Display Memory: 3766 MB
    Game Detail: Sims 3, Adventures and Late Night

I think those are the basics? ^

8. Goose995

Goose995 New Member

Oh, and I've discovered that I can play households that come with the game, but when I try to create my own, as soon as I try to play them the game crashes.

9. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

Did you try removing any custom content or mods from the game and then try playing the game?
    You might have something that won't work with the game and is giving you fits with it.

10. KatAnubis

Those are the basics except you didn't list the CPU, which is pretty important. But the parts that concern me are things like the drivers. Those sometimes need to be updated.

I hope you didn't remove *all* the .package files. The only ones to remove are the ones with "cache" in the name.

11. swmeek

The cpu was listed in the dxdiag which was more than sufficient to run the game. :D

12. KatAnubis

Missed the dxdiag. Sorry about that.

13. swmeek

We forgive you Kat!

14. kerry901

kerry901 New Member

ive been havng the same problem and its since i updated the gme, iv evn tried uninstalling the full thing then reinstalling. that didnt work and still crashes as soon as go into live mode, i lost my sims for nothing

15. kerry901

kerry901 New Member

16. aprilrain

aprilrain New Member

I've been having a very similar problem. I have Nite life & custom content. Any suggestions. Here is my dxdiag. Should I delete the caches or just remove them?

Attached Files:

17. KatAnubis

You can always start by deleting cache files. They tend to get corrupted easily and since they also regenerate easily if you delete them, it's something that can always be helpful.

Make sure that your system is not overheating. That's a very common problem.

Do you have the Generations update?

18. BellaTheEpic

BellaTheEpic New Member

Where can I find the cache files in My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3? I'm having similar problems, only I have Ambitions and World Adventures. I have the latest update I can have, but I have a lot of CC, and my laptop that I'm playing it on is really old. It lets me enter Sims, create a new world, enter create a Sim, then when I go to create a second Sim in the family, it crashes. I REALLY need it to work as I'm using Sims for a school assignment. And where do you find the dxdiag??? PLEASE HELP ME!

19. KatAnubis

If you open the My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3, they are the files after the folders and will all have the word "cache" in them.

You find the dxdiag by going to Start, clicking on Run, then entering dxdiag. It will ask you if you want to open it or save it. It's a good idea to save it to the desktop then open it from there.