Troubleshooting Sims 3 Pets causes my game to freeze?

Discussion in 'The Sims 3' started by Jui, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Jui

Jui New Member

So I have Sims 3 Pets now, I got it for Christmas, and I was quite enjoying it, but I seem to have developed a problem with my game since installing.

The first time I had a problem was a few days ago, when after a long time without saving the game crashed. It was annoying but I simply restarted the game and continued. The next day as I was playing, the same thing happened again, after about a Sim day's worth of play. Today, I've tried to play three times, and each time it crashes - the time between starting the game and crashing the game gets shorter each time.

I'm playing the game on a Macbook Pro, which I've had for almost exactly two years. I'm using version 10.5.8 - I'm aware that there is an update but I haven't got round to downloading it yet. Has anyone had this problem or does anyone know how to solve it? It's becoming increasingly annoying.

2. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

It's not unusual for the game to crash if you go too long without saving, but it's odd that it's crashing more often each time.

Is it getting too hot? Sometimes laptops get too hot if they're not played on a cooling pad or a well ventilated hard surface. Also, check to make sure that the fans are not obstructed or dust choked. Getting too hot can cause crashes and those might get more frequent the more you try to play.

You might want to post your actual system specs so that people who might be able to tell you more about macbooks don't have to look it up to help you. (I don't do macs.)

3. Jui

Jui New Member

According to my brother, who seems to be all-knowing (but can funnily enough never help me with anything I need), if I can use the laptop after force-quitting the game - which I can - then there can't be anything wrong with the fan. I'm not entirely sure how I'd get at it either. Also, I would post my specs but I'm not entirely sure what they are!! Thanks so much for your help though.

4. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

If you can use it for the game, I'd say your brother was correct, but it's not unusual for the computers to be able to do low intensity things like surfing the internet when it can't do things like play a graphic and processor intensive game like TS3. If it's not expected to work hard, it doesn't seem to heat up as much. (Sims Medieval is even worse for being processor and graphic card intensive!)

I just wish I knew mac systems so that you could post your system specs. I know that it's been posted here before, but it wasn't in a stickie unfortunately.

5. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

I think that Macbook Pro has the same cooling design as the newer ones. Air should be taken in through the keyboard around the keys and exhausted out the hinge to the screen.

To post your system specs, click on spotlight at the top right, type in: system profiler and save the information to a text file and upload it here.

6. Jui

Jui New Member

Hardware Overview:

Model Name:MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier:MacBookPro5,5
    Processor Name:Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed:2.26 GHz
    Number Of Processors:1
    Total Number Of Cores:2
    L2 Cache:3 MB
    Memory:2 GB
    Bus Speed:1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version:MBP55.00AC.B03
    SMC Version (system:( 1.47f2
    Serial Number (system:( W89493AT66H
    Hardware UUID:8AA0A01C-8199-5305-8CA1-F838277C301D
    Sudden Motion Sensor:
    State:Enabled

7. Flameback777

From what I can find, it seems to be a problem whenever the game tries to create or load a horse. It only affects Macs and it doesn't look like EA has patched it yet, even though they have known about the problem for a few months.
    Can you try to create a horse in game and see if the game freezes/crashes?

8. Jui

Jui New Member

This sounds really likely actually. I've seen a horse just before the crashes twice. So I'll just be waiting for an update?

9. Flameback777

If that is the problem then yes. Until EA fixes it there is not much you can do.