Troubleshooting Problem With Installing Sims 2 Holiday Edition

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Fallon_13_Catherine, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Fallon_13_Catherine

Fallon_13_Catherine New Member

Hey I'm new here and I borrowed the Sims 2 Holiday Edition game from a friend today. I went to go install it, placed the disk 1 in my drive and clicked on 'Auto Run'. Then there's this message which always pops up and asks if I would allow changes to be made on my computer, I clicked yes like normal but then this message popped up and said "Please insert disk one". So I would take it and replace it back in but it doesn't do anything except pop that message up, anyone know what I'm doing wrong or what I can do? This is a new computer (we got it like last year) so I know it isn't the requirements.

2. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

You need to put in the disc you usually play from when you get that message. (It isn't the requirements in this case, but having a new computer doesn't mean you have the correct requirements for a game. You'd be surprised at how many new computers don't do what you think they can do.)

Holiday isn't like other games where you play from that disc. You play from the disc you'd usually play from.

3. Fallon_13_Catherine

Fallon_13_Catherine New Member

Okay so if I put my Sims 2 Pets Pack disk that I normally play from into the drive, it will let me install it? It's not an issue of playing it when that message pops up, but installing it.

4. KatAnubis

It's been a long time since I installed Holiday but it seems to me that it wanted to make sure that you have a legal installation before it would install the disc.

Of course, since you got it from a friend, you should only install it on your computer if they've removed it from theirs. Having it installed on both computers breaks the rules for the disc (although the disc has no way of knowing that.)

Also, check to make sure there isn't another disc to the set. Holiday came in several forms. One form included the base game and that would have been a 2 disc set.

5. Sarah_p

Sarah_p New Member

Yes I have the same problem. But I have the regular Sims 2 game with no other expansions. It keeps saying I should put disk 1 in and when I put in the original disk I use for playing the Sims 2 in, it keeps telling me to put in disk 1....

6. KatAnubis

Do you have Holiday as the other poster does?

Did you get the Sims 2 version which has multiple discs? One of them (the CD version) had 4 discs and you'd put the first one in for that. The other had a single DVD and a bonus disc. You have to put in the DVD, not the bonus disc in that case.

7. Sarah_p

Sarah_p New Member

The Sims 2 Holiday Edition has four disks while the original Sims 2 is only one. Yes where is says Disk 1 I put in when the computer popped the question out but after taking the disk out and changing it with the original Sims 2 a million times I just gave up. Would reinstalling it maybe help?

8. KatAnubis

If you installed the Holiday version which came with the basegame, you'll need to put in the first disc of the Holiday set. The original TS2 you had is now "obsolete" as far as the installation is concerned. (There is an original TS2 without Holiday which also came with 4 discs. It was only the DVD version which had a single game disc.)

Or are you saying that now neither disc works for you? If so, uninstalling (after removing all your saved information to the desktop so that you don't lose it) and reinstalling might help.

9. Sarah_p

Sarah_p New Member

Okay thanks I'll try it and see if it helps :)

10. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

You might give the Sims 2 wiki a looksee and see if there is any relevant information you can use over there to help you also.

11. Sarah_p

Sarah_p New Member

Yup. I uninstalled the game then installed it using the Holiday disk and it worked. Thank you guys. But now, another question: What do you do? In the game do they don't announce the holidays? Or is it just clothing and stuff you can play around with?

12. KatAnubis

It's holiday stuff that you can make your own holidays with. There's a wide variety of holidays, including ones like Kwanzaa that are not so well known, but you choose when to have the holiday.

13. Sarah_p

Sarah_p New Member

Thanks for your help :)

14. TommyJ

TommyJ New Member

I'm having the same problem, only i have all but 2 expansion packs and 1 stuff pack and I only use the sims 2 double deluxe and it want let install the sims 2 holiday edition, cuz when the message pops up I put in the sims 2 dd game disc and another message pops up saying that it's the wrong version of the sims 2 I'm going insane can someone pleaes tell me what I AM DOING WRONG!!!!!! sorry for caps that's just how the situation is...