Troubleshooting No supported video graphics card?

Discussion in 'The Sims 3' started by duxhockey21, May 16, 2011.

1. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

A new DVI cable can be got for pretty cheap off of Ebay or anywhere.

2. Carly

Carly New Member

I've borrowed a dvi cable which works with another computer fine and it is still coming up with the same error.. any suggestions on what I should try now please ?

3. Carly

Carly New Member

Hi, found out what the problem was, something on the computer for the past year has not allowed window to search for updates (so nothing has been updated) and i search for a few hours fixed that, installed all 150 updates that needed to be done, restarted the computer and now is all working (including the dvi cords which weren't yesterday)

4. swmeek

Wow that's a lot of updates but at least you got it working!

5. Karina F

Karina F New Member

Hi, I have the same problem. Please help!

Attached Files:

6. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

You have an onboard rather than a dedicated video card. It probably doesn't meet the requirements (although it's one I'm not familiar with.)

7. Karina F

Karina F New Member

So there's no way in getting an actual video graphics card or downloading anything so that I can actually play the game?

8. swmeek

If the specs I looked up for your computer match what you have then no there's not.
    The power supply you have isn't powerful enough to handle anything worthwhile.
    I'd suggest start looking for a better computer that does not have any integrated graphics on it.

9. cassie m

cassie m New Member

please someone help me i have just brought a new computer and installed sims 3 it starts up the game and it says cannot recognise graphics card but when it loads the world the town its a grey and the sea is dark blue its set all the graphics settings to low and you cant change them. i have done a dxdiag report please tell me theres a solution and i can play :(

10. cassie m

cassie m New Member

my dxdiag report

Attached Files:

11. swmeek

I hate to say this but the computer you've got is not strong enough to play the game.
    If this is a laptop there are no upgrades you can do to it to help it either.

12. cassie m

cassie m New Member

yeah it is i have fixed this now you just have to run it as administrator and in compatibility mode its a computer not a laptop thanks for your help anyways.

13. cassie m

cassie m New Member

this is a computer are there any updates i can do ?

14. cassie m

cassie m New Member

so is it my actuall computer or my graphics card because the game is very laggy in compatibilty mode :(

15. swmeek

Both actually , the game really requires a more powerful cpu (the brain) when you use a integrated video chip like you have .
    Because you have only the built in video the cpu has to work a lot harder than it should.
    I see you have the capability to add a video card but the power supply your computer has is a low wattage model which may not be enough to power a video card.
    If you got this at a electronics place like Best Buys you might ask them about it but it would be costly to do so (by the time they add labor and whatnot.)