Troubleshooting to update your drivers for your graphics card or to try to make directx work

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by astaregod, Sep 19, 2004.

1. J. M. Pescado

J. M. Pescado Fat Obstreperous Jerk

Yeck, a Celery. And you definitely need more RAM, although you MIGHT be able to squeak by....IF you upgrade your graphics card. A 4 MB "card" ain't gonna cut it. Did you check for an AGP slot yet?

2. raybabie07

raybabie07 New Member

No I didn't...but I tried the game on my mom's computer which she bought in June and it doesn't work on it either...

3. J. M. Pescado

What are the specs and dxdiag dumps for that? Hit "save all information", dump it into a text file, and post the relevant sections pertaining to system specs and video card data for that.

4. raybabie07

raybabie07 New Member

I'd love to but I'm out of state until Sunday...I'll leave myself a note

5. raybabie07

raybabie07 New Member

I did look on another site for information and someone said to buy a PCI video card?

6. J. M. Pescado

PCI video cards are inadequate for the task, unless you're willing to accept the game chugging very, very, badly.

7. katethegreat

katethegreat New Member

I don't know which NVIDA graphics card 2 download with windows XP. There r many options...NE1 know which one works?

8. michelle_spy

michelle_spy New Member

can someone give me the answer to this question please! The sims 2 requires atleast 256MB, but what if you have 32MB, will the game still run? Please email me at michellebuffy501@hotmail.com

Thank you

9. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Could you provide more information on your computer? Just what you provided isn't enough information.

10. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

There are two places where you can find "mbs" that have to do with the game. RAM is measured in MBs and that is the one that needs to be a minimum of 256mb (and from what we found in the first few weeks, 512mb or more is definitely better.)

If you are talking about 32mb, chances are you are talking about the graphics card, not the RAM. For the graphics card you need at least 32mb, but you probably won't be happy since those are usually "shared memory" which means that they take away from the RAM to do it. And most of those are also not T&L enabled cards, which means that your processor has to be at least 2.0ghz (2,000mhz) to be able to do the game.

So, the best idea for you is to follow Manager Josh's advice to let us know what your computer already has in terms of specifications (aka "specs"). Here is how you figure that out:
    You check your specs by going to Start, clicking on Run, and typing in dxdiag in the box. Once you've activated it you will see several tabs.

The General or System Information tab has some of the information (mixed in with a lot of things you don't necessarily need:(

operating system

processor (make/model and "speed" in ghz or mhz)

memory (system RAM, "short term memory")

direct X version

The Display or Display Devices tab has:

card name

chip type (if different from the card name)

display memory or "approx. total memory" (also known as video RAM or video memory)

To get your harddrive (long term) memory, go to My Computer, right click on your harddrive, go to properties and look at the total drive memory/space and the free drive memory/space.

11. pas71188

pas71188 New Member

i have the problem failed to recognize DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adaptersOS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 Build 2600
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name PJ-01JHTDGBUFW2
    System Manufacturer Gateway
    System Model N9CPP041
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~863 Mhz
    BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. WL81020A.15A.0007.P06.0010031249, 10/3/2000
    SMBIOS Version 2.3
    Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
    System Directory C:\WINDOWS\System32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)"
    Total Physical Memory 319.00 MB
    Available Physical Memory 167.54 MB
    Total Virtual Memory 1.07 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 779.17 MB
    Page File Space 773.90 MB
    intel pentium III processor 863 MHz 320 MB of RAM
    57.1GB free space
    Name Intel(R) 82810E Graphics Controller
    PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_7125&SUBSYS_9041107B&REV_03\3&61AAA01&0&08
    Adapter Type Intel(R) 82810, Intel Corporation compatible
    Adapter Description Intel(R) 82810E Graphics Controller
    Adapter RAM 32.00 MB (33,554,432 bytes)
    Installed Drivers i81xdnt5.dll
    Driver Version 6.13.01.3196
    INF File oem2.inf (i81x section)
    Color Planes 1
    Color Table Entries 65536
    Resolution 800 x 600 x 60 hertz
    Bits/Pixel 16
    Memory Address 0xF8000000-0xFBFFFFFF
    Memory Address 0xFFA80000-0xFFAFFFFF
    I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB
    I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF
    Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF
    Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\i81xnt5.sys (6.13.01.3196 , 157.25 KB (161,020 bytes), 10/10/2004 4:38 PM)
    Please help me i have had the game almost two months and havent got to play yet.

12. Foxiescully

Foxiescully New Member

New and confused

I'm new to the world of Sims and am having the same problem everyone else here is having. I tried downloading the newest drivers and reinstalling directx quite a few times. Below is my computer's info. Please help, I need this game to destressify my hectic little life.

Current Date/Time: Friday, January 21, 2005, 16:25:47
    Computer Name: DANGERZONE
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional (5.0, Build 2195)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Sony Coropration
    System Model: PCG-FX250(UC)
    BIOS: Default System BIOS
    Processor: Intel Pentium III processor, ~30MHz
    Memory: 254MB RAM
    Page file: 176MB used, 439MB available
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Alright, I think I found out what my problem is, I have an Intel 82815 card, which I guess won't work. Is there anyway I can get a new one...I'm working from a laptop and I don't know if that comes into play here.
    Any info is greatly appreciated!

13. velouria3

velouria3 addict

S3 video cards supported? PLEASE???

:disappointed: :disappointed: :disappointed: :disappointed:

I don't mean to be a pain, as I can see that you are getting the same questions from everyone regarding the "Failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters...", but I have tried all your solutions so far without success. I know the name of my video card (S3 Twister K HP) but it isn't listed... Please tell me it's supported!!! I ran the DirectX Diagnostic and it says that the Direct3D 9 "Display driver does not support API (DDI version too low)"

Again, sorry if I could have kept looking, but it's been two days, and still no solution!

14. ManagerJosh

S3 video cards are in general lower end graphic cards, and are really poor in graphics. The best way to fix it is upgrade your graphics card to something that is DirectX 9.0 compatible.

15. momof3

momof3 New Member

HELLLLLP PLease

OK i am doing everything that the threads are saying and i am still having problems. I don't know what to do. My chipset is a SiS 650 REV 00 i am a complete computer dunce and i don't know what to do i've tried everything.i really would like to play my game. PLease help i've tried everything so maybe someone can give me better instructions.:confused:

16. Valerie114

Valerie114 New Member

Well everyone...I was getting the same exact message as all of you and what I did was I bought a Ge Force 4 graphics card and now everything works fine!

17. franni111

franni111 New Member

Lost....

Hi everyone, I am another Sims fan, and have spent hundreds of dollars upgrading my computer just to play this one game. I had the Sims 2 which ran fine on my computer, but since I purchased the sims University, I can't get anything to work. At first, when I tried to load a house, it would just get stuck in the loading screen. After troubleshooting and changing my hardware acceleration, I got the houses to load, but the sims don't move. It's almost as if it's stuck in pause mode. Tonight I tried to purchase more RAM hoping this would help, but it didn't. Now my houses load quicker but my sims still don't move. I tried updating my directX driver, but I got this message "The NVIDIA setup program could not locate any drivers that are compatible with your current hardware" ... What does that mean???? I have DirectX 9.0c. This is what I have in my system right now:
    Operating System System ModelWindows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (build 2600) soyocomputer K7VM333 1.0Processor a Main Circuit Board b1.20 gigahertz AMD Athlon XP
    128 kilobyte primary memory cache
    64 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    Board: soyocomputer K7VM333 1.0
    Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
    BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. Version 07.00T 04/02/01
    Drives Memory Modules c,d40.02 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
    24.72 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

COMPAQ DVD-ROM SD-612B [CD-ROM drive]
    LG CD-RW CED-8080B [CD-ROM drive]
    3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

MAXTOR 6L040J2 [Hard drive] (40.03 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 362208225901, rev A93.0500, SMART Status: Healthy
    1024 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot '0' has 512 MB
    Slot '1' has 512 MB
    Local Drive Volumes c: (on drive 0)31.45 GB17.75 GB freed: (on drive 0)8.57 GB6.97 GB free Network Drives None detectedUsers Printers[b]local user accounts[/b]last logon[img]file:///C|/Program Files/Belarc/Advisor/System/local/images/trans.gif[/img] a3/21/2005 9:08:04 PM(admin) 3/21/2005 6:56:37 PM[b]local system accounts[/b][img]file:///C|/Program Files/Belarc/Advisor/System/local/images/trans.gif[/img] Administratornever(admin) Guestnever Helpssistantnever SUPPORT_388945a0never
    Lexmark Z12 Color Jetprinteron LPT1:Lexmark Z12 Color Jetprinteron LPT1:Controllers DisplayStandard floppy disk controller
    Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
    Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]
    VIA Bus Master IDE Controller
    NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700LE [Display adapter]
    COMPAQ CV715 [Monitor] (16.3"vis, s/n 008CE48GJS83, February 2000)
    Bus Adapters MultimediaStandard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
    VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller
    VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller (WDM)Communications Other DevicesVIA PCI 10/100Mb Fast Ethernet Adapter
    Network Card MAC Address: 00:50:2C:A6:91:B7
    Network IP Address: 69.22.255.242 / 25
    Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
    PS/2 Compatible Mouse
    USB Root Hub

I have a 256 MB graphics card.

Will someone please give my some advice because I have run out of patience. Thank you.

18. ManagerJosh

okay, could you help clarify whether you are trying to:

1) Upgrade DirectX?
    or
    2) Upgrade Graphics Drivers

19. a1_ying

a1_ying New Member

My game crashes everytime I click on a family to play.... A window pops up and its says, The application has crashed, it will terminate now. What went wrong?
    Here's information of my com.

Operating system: Microsoft Windows ME
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) Processor, MMX, 3Dnow, ~850MHz
    Memory: 256 MB RAM
    DirectX version: DirectX 9.0c

Display card name: Inno3D GeForce 2 MX
    Display memory: 31.5 MB (no idea why)

Total memory: 13.2 GB
    Free memory: 2.77 GB

So, what should I do to play the game??

20. ManagerJosh

Could you provide details about the error message? :)