What are meshes...?

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Valerie114, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Valerie114

Valerie114 New Member

What are meshes...?

I wanted to download some files and I notice that it says that it is a mesh. I wanted to know what meshes are and whether they r harmful to the EP or to the game...

2. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

Meshes are the form over which the color files drape.

I would not recommend anything which requires a new mesh until they have been tested a lot more. The meshing tools are still really just beginning.

Using any new mesh for clothes or any object other than what comes in the game is truly beta testing. If you are not really computer saavy it can really cause problems, since you may not know how to fix anything that causes a problem in your game.

From the questions you've been asking, I would not recommend that you use those at all at this point. Wait until the methods for making them are more stable. We may not be able to help you get things back together if you have a problem.

Clothing which do not require new meshes, genetics, makeup, walls and floors are going to be safe for you, since those are all make using a Maxis tool (not a test version). Anything else you use at your own risk.

3. ramahgirl

ramahgirl New Member

i know how you can download meshes

heres how:

1.Go to My Documents>EA Games>The Sims 2.

2.Right click on any empty space, below the other folders.

3.Hover your mouse button over "New", and then click "Folder".

4.Rename the folder: "My New Sims Stuff". This is the temporary place where you will be keeping your downloads.

5.Now go back to the custom content that you wanted to download.
    Download the mesh first. Do this by clicking on the picture that says "Mesh".

6.Then when the downloading box pops up, click "Save".

7.Then, save it in the folder that you made, which you called "My New Sims Stuff". Click "Save" and it will run.

8.Then, when it has finished downloading, go to "My New Sims Stuff". There should be this icon in the folder. This is the zipped file that you will have to unzip.

9.Right click on the icon, and then choose the 5th option down. Extract all to My Documents>EA Games>The Sims 2>My New Sims Stuff. Click that.
    This box should pop up. Click "I agree". This unzips the file and creates a new folder.

10.Now the zipped file will still be there. You can delete it now. Simply right click on it, and then click "Delete".

11.Now go back to that same page that you were downloading from. You now download the hair colour- you do this by clicking on the colour you wish to have.

12.Now the download box should pop up again! Click "Save".

13.Save it in "My New Sims Stuff" once again. Click "Save" and it will run.

14.After it runs and finishes downloading, go to the folder you saved it in.

15.There will be another zipped file next to the Mesh folder. Once again, right click on it, and go down to the 5th option. Extract all to My Documents>EA Games>The Sims 2>My New Sims Stuff. Click it.

16.This familiar window will come up onto the screen. As we did last time, click "I agree" to unzip the file.

17.A new folder which contains the hair colour will come up. The zipped file is still there, so you now delete the colour zipped file. Right click, and scroll down to "Delete".

18.If you are unable to unzip the zipped folders, you'll need to download WinRAR, the program that allows you to do this. You can download WinRAR from this site:
    http://www.download.com/3000-2250-10007677.html

19.There are now two folders left. The hair colour file goes into the mesh file. Do this by clicking on the hair colour file, and dragging it onto the hair mesh file.

20.There's only one file left on the main screen now, the mesh file with the hair colour inside. Now you'll need to put your file into your The Sims 2 download file. Right click on it, and scroll down to "Cut". Click on it.

21.When you see the folder go transparent, you'll know that you've made a successful cut.

22Now go to the Downloads folder of The Sims 2. Double click on it.
    Right click on any empty space. Scroll down to where it says "Paste", and click it.

23.there! Now it is in your game. But to make sure, you should go into CAS (create a sim)and check.
    :bouncy: :cheerful: wasnt that easy!!!!!!!!!!!
    just 23 steps

4. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

This is all good information, but this thread is more than a year old. FYI we try to not resurrect old threads unless it's absolutely necessary.

Just a friendly reminder.