How Do I Save the Save game to Another Computer?

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by ExoticJ, Apr 6, 2006.

1. ExoticJ

ExoticJ New Member

Save the Save game to Another Computer?

I was just wondering if its possable to copy a save game from one computer, save it to a floppy or whatever and save it to another computer so I dont have to start all over again? I went through the folders and could not find a save data. Is it possable? thanks.

2. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

The files are are very large so you would need a mountain of floppies.

It could be done with CD burner if you have one on the old computer.

The saved game files are in your My Documents folder

Look for the folder The Sims 2 inside the EA Games folder.

Mine is 3 gigabytes which would fill several CD roms or 1 DVD rom

Your best bet is open the The Sims 2 folder and make copies only of the neighborhood you most value

Inside the main folder you'll see a folder called Neighborhoods. Open that and you see a number of folders with names like N001 etc.

If you haven't deleted any of the Maxis made neighborhoods then
    N001 is Pleasantview
    N002 is Strangetown
    N003 is Veronaville
    N004 and onwards are custom 'hoods you may have made yourself.

(I deleted my Strangetown but I still have an N002 becuase I made a new neighborhood and becuase N002 was not in use the game used it for my new hood. Got it?)

A single N00# folder should fit onto a CD so if, say, you're most keen to hang to your Veronaville and don't mind too much about all the rest then just make a copy of:

My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Neighborhoods\N003

NOTE
    You do NOT need the file called Neighborhood Manager in the
    My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Neighborhoods\ folder

Then make copies of the the other important folders within:

My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\
    • [Downloads] All your downloads AND/OR made by your with Body Shop
    • [Storytelling] Any pics you have taken at community lots etc.
    • [Lot Catalog] (see next note)
    • [Packaged Lots] Need these 2 if you have downloaded or built houses that might want to keep.
    • [Movies] Its where all the movies have been saved if you made any
    • [Saved Sims] These are sims you designed with Body Shop they show up as ready made sims whne you Create A (new) Sim (CAS)
    • [Collections] Is where your custom buy mode catalog collections are stored
    Most of the rest of the folders can be ignored without causing major problems. However if at all possible you should seek to copy them all; ya never know when an event is going to occur that calls for something that is no longer there and BOOM! Bye-bye simmies ... 'twas nice knowin' y'all :(

When you finish installing the game on a new computer play it first to check it work properly and then go back to Windows.

Put your saved file copies into their respective places. Windows will warn you that those filenames already exist and ask you if you want to replace them. Choose "Replace All" every time.

Job done :)

Good luck. Take it slowly and go one step at a time. It takes ages to start over and some mistakes are almost impossible to undo.

3. WereBear

WereBear Dancing Bear

If you know a little bit about computers and aren't afraid of opening it up you can take the hard drive out of the old computer and install it in the new one as a slave drive. Then you drag-n-drop all those files instead of using floppies or CD's/DVD's.

4. ExoticJ

ExoticJ New Member

problem, the town i wanna copy is inside of pleasent view. I copied the one off the old computer, and it didn't work. How do i copy bluewater village? It just copies pleasentview, not the Expansion pack inside of it... Is there a seprate folder for the expansion packs? Please help. thanks.

5. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Each neighborhood is a collection of all its parts. If you have OFB then there will a Bluewater Village in each of the neighborhoods, just as if you have Nightlife there will a Downtown and if you have University there will be one or campuses. Their not separate towns or neighborhoods, just parts of the main thing. If you want Bluewater from Pleansantview then you MUST transfer the WHOLE of the Pleasantview Neighborhood files or the whole thing won't work.

6. ExoticJ

ExoticJ New Member

I did =/ maybe cause i haven't created bluewater village yet on the laptop? I copied the files before creating the town on the other computer. Would that cause it? I'll try coping it again.

7. ExoticJ

ExoticJ New Member

oh one thing i noticed, on my laptop i have a folder called saved sims. there isn't a folder called that on the other computer im saving the files off of, why is that?

8. ExoticJ

ExoticJ New Member

*cries* why is it not working? I copied all of the files in N001 and over write them to the other computer, but still nothing, its all stock. Can you not change blue water village, just pleasent view? Maybe im coping the wrong file? Do I have to delete N001 First before copying it over?

9. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Usually the answer is that you are missing out an important step.

Your Bluewater Village is part of the Pleasantview neighborhood but OFB must be installed for the game to recognize it. You have installed all the other expansions you had before, haven't you? I'm not certain it is important but I would also be inclined to recommend that the EPs be installed in the order they were first installed ... never can tell what a computer will do if it finds date stamps out of order.

10. ExoticJ

ExoticJ New Member

yes thanks. my problem was me being stupid. I was copying the files off the wrong user, that user didn't have any save date.. It works now, thanks so much!

11. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

LOL! As always softly softly is the best way to catchy monkey :D