How Do I Absolutely Frustrated

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Coryann, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Coryann

Coryann New Member

Absolutely Frustrated

Okay. I have been trying and trying to locate a number to call EA games for technical help. After about an hour of searching I found a number, but not the one I need. Of course the one I need is not toll free. But oh! You can email them. The guy on EAgames billing technical help said go to supporea.com and email them. No. Sorry. That site does not exist. So I go back to thesims2.com and register to post on THAT forum. However I can't find an option "post new thread." I searched help, nothing found. Now I'm ready to throw my computer against the wall shattering it into pieces and rip my hair out....See I'm not computer iliterate in the least bit. So here's my problem.

I just got a BRAND NEW dell about 2 weeks ago. Considering The Sims 2 came out what 2 years ago? This new computer should be able to handle the requirements needed to play this game. I go to install it, it gets to 23% and asks for disk 2. I put it in, computer hesitates then goes ER ER ER ER and stops. No error message. It just freezes. I put the cd into another computer which is about 2.5 years old and within 5 minutes The Sims 2 is installed. So it's NOT the cd. Atleast that would be MY guess. So I call dell. They run a diagnostic test and say "there's nothing wrong with your computer" And I go, but there is! If it won't install on this machine but it WILL on another, then it's OBVIOUSLY not the cd. But apparently since I'm not a technician - I have no idea what I'm talking about. Sooooo if anyone knows either how to post or email an EA games tech or how to fix my installation problem I would love you forever if you helped me out. I have no idea if I will ever be able to find this site again, so if you can help me, my email is CoryannB24@hotmail.com. I am desparate. And going bald...

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Hi there Cory:

Could you post up some specs on your computer? Also any more detail messages you can provide on the error would be most helpful as well.

3. Coryann

Coryann New Member

This is what my computer came with. I think I've had it for about 3 weeks if that.

Inspiron B130
    Intel Celeron M Processor 370 (1.50 GHz/1MB Cache/400MHz FSB), Genuine Windows XP Home Edition
    Qty: 1
    Unit Price: $649.00
    Inspiron B130Intel Celeron M Processor 370 (1.50 GHz/1MB Cache/400MHz FSB)
    KC15B3N
    [222-0557]
    LCD Panel15.4in WXGA Display
    15WXGA
    [320-4577]
    Memory256MB DDR2 SDRAM 1 Dimm
    256MB
    [311-5480]
    Video CardIntegrated Intel Media Accelerator 900 Graphics
    INTVID
    [320-4506]
    Hard Drive40GB 5400rpm Hard Drive
    40GB
    [341-2808]
    Operating System (Office software not included)Genuine Windows XP Home Edition
    WHXP
    [420-5769]
    [463-2282]
    [420-4928]
    [420-5460]
    [420-5476]
    [412-0689]
    [420-4766]
    [420-4830]
    Integrated Modem and NICInternal 56K Modem and Integrated Network Card
    56MPC
    [313-3794]
    Adobe SoftwareAdobe Acrobat Reader 6.0
    ADOBER
    [430-1048]
    Combo/DVD+RW Drives24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
    24COMBO
    [313-3792]
    [420-5111]
    Office Software (not included in Windows XP)No productivity suite- Corel WordPerfect word processor only
    ICOREL
    [412-0803]
    Anti-Virus/Security Suite (Pre-installed)No Security Subscription
    NS
    [412-0850]
    Primary Battery4-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery (29 WHr)
    4BAT
    [312-0358]
    Hardware Warranty1Yr Ltd Warranty, 1Yr Mail-In Service, and 1Yr HW Warranty Support
    ST111RR
    [950-9220]
    [960-6910]
    [983-2207]
    [950-3337]
    [950-9057]
    Dial-Up Internet Access6 Months America Online Internet Access Included
    AOLDHS
    [420-5256]
    [412-0687]
    [412-0787]
    [420-3224]
    MiscellaneousAward Winning Service, Support
    IB130S1
    [464-7194]
    Operating System Re-Installation CDPC Restore recovery system by Symantec
    PCR
    [464-5503]
    Dell Digital EntertainmentStarter Entertainment Pack - Basic digital Music, Photo and Game experience
    SEP
    [412-0865]
    [412-0856]

4. ManagerJosh

Do you have the latest drivers from Dell for the Intel Graphics as well as the latest Windows XP Home Patches?

5. Coryann

Coryann New Member

I would think so, the computer is only 3 weeks old at the most. That's why I don't understand why this game doesn't install. The computer I'm using right now is over 2 years old and it had not a single problem installing the sims.

6. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

It appears that your computer is a laptop (since it has the M rating for the Celeron, with M standing for Mobile). That often presents problems because of the laptop's penchant for powering down when not "active" and things are not considered to be "active" when installing (which I always found annoying.) That may be part of why you're having the stall problem.

Also, if you have an integrated Intel card, then you need to have a minimum of a 2.0 *Pentium" based processor, because the integrated Intel cards do not possess the ability to do some of the needed processing, so the game needs to get the ability by using the processor. (Numbers aren't everything. A 2.0ghz Pentium card is better for gaming than a 2.0ghz Celeron, for instance. And if you have the minimums anyway, you'll really be playing at the minimum ability of the computer.)

I know it may seem frustrating, but all "new computers" are not created equal. A new computer meant to do schoolwork or business applications may not have the ability to play one of the recent games. A computer for playing The Sims 2 needs to be a lot more powerful than the usual budget machine or one for schoolwork or business purposes, laptop or desktop.

And the more EPs you add, the more it needs.

7. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

I agree with Kat. Your laptop will very likely not be able to run The Sims 2.

Also the web-link you need for support is:

support.ea.com (and I promise that does exist ... I use it all the time to get the answers I give out :eek: )

8. Coryann

Coryann New Member

Once I realized it wasn't going to install on my new laptop, I tried installing it on my ex fiance's mom's laptop, which is roughly two years old. The lowest model at the time of purchase. Mine, about the middle level of specs. Her computer took it like a champ. No hesitation, no awkward noises. I'm just frustrated because dell keeps telling me there's nothing wrong with the computer. And the second reason I bought this things was to PLAY sims 2. First reason I bought it is having issues so 600 dollars just about went down the drain.

9. ManagerJosh

I disagree somewhat Kat. This Chip, was originally branded as a Banias aka, Pentium M chip before it was replaced by the second generation Dothan chips. These chips are used in the Intel Centrino notebook platform lineup.

The Pentium M is a really good chip and roughly is 2x the power of a regular desktop Pentium 4 chip.

One other possiblity Cory...lack of memory? You only have 256MB and that's pushing it in a lot of game books.

10. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Josh is right about that part, Cory:

Dell's website has this to say in the configure your laptop before buying:
    The Inspiron B130 will accept up to 1GB, according to Dell and that'll cost in the $100 region and should be simple enough to install. Whether that will cure all your trouble is another matter. One thing is sure: Dell has not missold ... though perhaps they could make a greater effort to warn buyers that a product is unsuitable for whatever before you commit to buying in case you have missed the crucial memory advice ... it's not there on the page ... you have to go clicky and that's not good. Something as crucial as RAM should have to be specifically selected; just having a base level of 256MB with an upgrade button is not good.

Oops. Forgot to add this. The Sims 2 counts as "Intensive". Dell's careless language might make you think intensive gaming means playing games 24/7; it doesn't. In this context, intensive gaming means playing games that place an extrmely heavy burden on a computer's hardware resources. When I load up the The Sims 2 and check the Windows Task Manager, I find that The Sims 2.exe is using ... wait for it: 460MB of memory ... erm, hello! that's

256-
    204MB more than you have installed ... and Windows will be using up half that 256 before you even try installing TS2

11. Coryann

Coryann New Member

Thanks Mirelly. Now as this is my first ever laptop, I'm not too savvy on certain things as I am with a desktop. If I wanted to buy more memory would I have to unscrew the back of it and put it INSIDE or will it be somewhat like an adapter? I'd rather it go inside. I am now thinking about returning this thing and getting the B120 as I thought it was a lower model than the B130, it's actually better except the screen is about an inch smaller. Otherwise I'm spending all sorts of money trying to get this thing Sims ready. Thanks for everyone's help. I am begining to think that I just don't have enough space for it to load and that's why it freaks out at 23% and just stops.

12. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Quick answer. Under no circumstance attempt to get inside a laptop. Even experts have nightmares about disassembly and even then only a fool would try without a maker's manual.

Laptop memory installs into a bay that will be found underneath. Notebook SoDIMMs are approx credit card sized so look for a hathc a bit bigger. The 10cm square one is for the hard disc. It should be held in place with a cross-head screw (not a socket-headed screw) ... tho god knows what Dell use.

Your 130 can upgrade to 1GB and that needs to be your minumum target and that's where the trouble begins. You have 2 SoDIMM slots but I'd bet money that one isn't accessible from the outside ... typically you would be able see the existing SoDIMM card. Personally I wouldn't bother if return/exchange is an option ... especially don't do anything that invalidate any warranty or return rights.

Also I wouldn't even bother trying to design a laptop to play games on. Too expensive and to difficult to repair, upgrade. The desktop might take up a lot of space but it does the job. :)

13. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

The Pentium M is the same as the Celeron M? When did they change the name, and why change it to a "lower quality" name?

14. ManagerJosh

Dothan chips came out and it phased out the Banias.

15. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

Pretty much. The Celeron M was built exactly like the Pentium M, and the hardware is identical except that some of the L2 Cache is inactive and the Celeron M uses about 2 watts more power.

If I were to buy a laptop, it would be either a Centrion (if I had the cash) or the Celeron M.

16. ManagerJosh

My tests show the L2 cache 1MB is the same as on the Banias chips. There wasn't any reduction. Correct me if I'm wrong here Flamey.

17. simcrazy5000

simcrazy5000 Random Crazy Person

Coryann,

Before you buy a whole new laptop refer to this link.
    http://forums.worldsims.org/showthread.php?p=105843#post105843

If this Does Not work
    1. Go To the Control Panel
    2. Click on power options
    3. change all settings so it won't go into stand-by EVER
    4. retry installation

P.S. I have the B130 and I play the sims on it regularly

18. CoryannB

CoryannB New Member

Thanks for all the help guys. However, none of it worked. For some reason my brand new computer does not like switching disks during installation. So I had to copy all the information from each disk and install it from the hard drive. Installation completed in less than 3 minutes.