E3 2006: Pets Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by ManagerJosh, May 10, 2006.

1. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

E3 2006: Pets Discussion Thread

Discussion thread for this news release

2. AlisonSBurke

AlisonSBurke New Member

Yay!!!!
    Hurray!!!!!
    Halleluja!!!

Ok that last one was maybe a bit too much :eek:
    Wow I didn't think they would make a pets one!
    :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I feel a little bit bad for posting before all the important people :p
    Drat that *bad* time difference!!!

3. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

I can't imagine that the pets will be better than in Unleashed ... they'll certainly have more detail and texture to look at and (I would hope) some life stages ... but I probably wouldn't want to have a sim dog cluttering up a household limit ... they don't do anything. Dogs should get on furniture, beg for scraps at table etc. Cats should sleep on beds ... Given that there is so much custom furniture that fails to anticipate EPs: how could it? (and that includes some Maxis made items as well! That should be able anticipate EPs :rolleyes:) ... anyway all the custom content will be incompatible with pets. You want kitty to sleep on your sim-kid's bed ... better buy the Maxis bed cos that nice bed from TSR/MTS2/wherever won't look like a bed to kitty ... heck, I've got beds that the maids leave unmade and I gave up on nursery furniture cos it just confusickles nanni-kins :p

In short I'll get Pets for the new bits and pieces and maybe one or two sims will get a pet ... be nice for an old sim to get a dog and go walkies ... but I won't hold my breath.

Sorry, but the whole pets thing is so lame and if there is even a hint of strays I probably won't even buy the EP anyway. I got so fed up of dogs and cats piddling and pooping all every restaurant floors and every darn yard in the hood. It was so ridiculous that even Maxis conceded and released a stray prevention object ... eventually.

Moan over. I'll get used to it, I expect ;)

4. DuzzyGirl

DuzzyGirl **sigh** Downloads ...

I'm sure there will be more than one annoyance with them; however, they do look so stinkin' cute! Just like in real life, really.

5. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

I'm just worried about the processing issues, not sure if my computer can handle yet another EP. But I know I'm doomed to buy this expansion if my animal-crazy daughter catches wind of it, which I'm sure she will.

I don't mind an animal taking up a person slot in a household. I can see an elder having pets, for example. I think I would mind strays messing up my lots, though. Because you know they'll do it to excess.

And like Mirelly, I want them to do things that pets do. Maybe Maxis is taking that into consideration, this time around. After all, our sims do a lot more than sims 1 sims could. (Say that 10 times fast.)

6. jupitershana

jupitershana Kitty Fanatic!

I for one am super excited about this expansion, along with many others I'm sure! My cats are such a big part of my life, and my parent's dog a big part of theirs, so I want my sims to have that experience as well!

If it takes up a slot, that's fine, I try not to have 8 people in a house right now anyway, just because it's so much work! (Although right now I have a set of grandparents, their daughter and husband and they had TWO(!) sets of twins in one house. At least the first set were children before the second set were born! It's kind of a crazy house none the less.) I probably won't be adding pets into situations like that, but my other households will probably get them.

Bacholors will have dogs, old single ladies will have cats, family cats and dogs as well....OH! I wonder if the animals can breed? I'm sure they can, just like in Sims1, I wonder if they have litters as well or just one...oh, come on Maxis and release something official.

7. Ruthie_Faye

Ruthie_Faye New Member

Well I really want them to have life stages, at least two and being in the little covered box while they are babies does NOT count. I also hope the strays are more under control. It's irritating when you are trying to go on a date but it takes 5 real life minutes to get the taxi off the lot because a stray animal is sitting in the middle of the street licking itself! IF they have the rabbits constantly invading the gardens then our sims should be able to buy a GUN to take care of the problem, OH WAIT this isn't Unleashed it may not come with gardens. But for crying out loud the tomatoes had more life stages then the family dog!

OK I'm through gripping.
    Ruth

8. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

Laughing at your post, Ruthie. I never played Sims 1 but that does seem illogical.

Tomato elders. Snort. That's what made me laugh.

But I think baby, adult, and elder sounds reasonable for a pet. Shorter lives than sims, of course, but not too short ...

9. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Right for that you get to wear the Best Joke Of The Day hat! :D :D :p

I got tears steaming up me specs :cool:;)

10. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

11. Chee-Z

Chee-Z The Go-Kart Mozart

As long as there are animals, farm items, and weather effects, I'll be happy. :eek:

12. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Will you settle for one out those 3?

13. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

maybe they'll make birds to eat those blasted butterflies and roaches...

14. SolidSnake_19

SolidSnake_19 Senior Moderator

Not a surprise. I figured that EA would pull this several months back (Sims 2 being a graphically superior to Sims 1, but an exact clone in sense of gameplay and expansion releases.)

I'm not exactly complaining but I've seen an expansion like this before - several years ago with basically the same game. ;)

15. caduto

caduto New Member

yeah solidsnake, it does give me a feeling of deja-vu aswell.... wonder why?..... something a tad more original would have been better.... oh well

16. Chris

Chris New Member

Be fair though, pets is one of the most requested features for the game, and we've already had 2 totally original expansions out of the 3 released. Look at Nightlife, all that added was the ability to date and go to restaurants really - a watered down version of Hot Date.

17. person123

person123 Frumpy McDoogle!

And cars! Cars were a big plus.

18. caduto

caduto New Member

yes, i admit that having a nice cat or dog to team up with an elderly great great grandparent whos just lost their spouse would be nice...

but her great great grandchild might think that a little boring.... my question is... could we have a zoo? with elephants and giraffes and alligators e.t.c.

it could be another 'neighbourhood' and you could visit and maybe ride and feed the animals (im sure watching a little simmie ride a lion would be quite amusing)

and then maybe you could buy some of the tamer animals, like terapins and bunnies, or maybe a snow leapord puppy :)

just saying, i hope they have made it more interesting than the last one, cos with the last one, it was novel for about a week (thats a sim week not a real life week) and as soon as strays started doing their thing on my lawn, that was it, all the sign posts went up and no more pets got bought...

just hope the same thing doesnt happen with this one.. :/

caduto

19. Your Mom

Your Mom Simaholic ;D

Well, I can't wait for pets on TS2. IMO, Unleashed was the best expansion pack, and ever since TS2 came out I've been longing for pets. I really hope they have different life stages and different sizes as well. Like, different breeds being different sizes. That would rock.

20. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

GROAN!!

Yes, the puppies and kitties are cute. Yes, it looks like they can skill. I believe I had a magic litter box in TS1 that taught them their skills instantly. Then, I started having white fluffy balls of fuzz turn up. . . dead mice. Ooh, let us not forget the hampster. Yeah, that lovely hampster that killed an entire family with its hampster flu before I could figure out what the deal was.

Yeah, let's bring back the animals. The Tragic Clown and the Genie are next. :rolleyes:

Sorry I'm not more excited.