Im getting fed up with this game...

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by tayconway8, Jun 15, 2006.

1. tayconway8

tayconway8 New Member

Im getting fed up with this game...

my sims game runs sooo slow!:mad: it takes me a whole day to just get through 1 day in the game!:eek: it freezes and refreezes all the time.....its driving me bonkers! i dont have any expansin packs or anything....am i the only one?:confused:

2. Chee-Z

Chee-Z The Go-Kart Mozart

You might want to check your settings in game and lower them from high to medium or low. You may also see if your computer meets at least the minimum requirements for the game. Then you might want to invest on upgrading your machine if you're desperate to play. Also, too many downloads can slow your game down too, so might want to check on that as well.

3. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Yes. Do check your computer specs and tell us what they are. We might be able to point you to some cheap upgrades.

Also take note that the following features/factors will slow the game down, especially for computers with the minimum specifications.
    • Large lots ... the smallest lots take up the least memory resources and perform best (quickest)
    • Large families ... 2-4 sim households always play faster than 8 sims ... especially when visitors arrive!
    • Multiple floors. The fewer floors (storeys) you have the better the game performs. Note especially that houses with a foundation are 2 storey houses even if a basement hasn't been added.
    • Fences. Putting up fences around back yards (or even across the front of the property) causes the game to spend a lot of computing time trying to work out routes (for sims to use to access important things like toilets and other sims to play with). This is because fences are treated as walls and walls make rooms and rooms are used in route planning. Confused? Imagine how the game feels! :eek:

4. tayconway8

tayconway8 New Member

im not really a computer wiz....uhh whats a computer spec? lol im clueless!

thanx for the replys

5. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Check the FAQs in my signature for a how to find computer specs :)

6. tayconway8

tayconway8 New Member

ummm i filled in as much as i could....sorry im not too good at this. i filled it out according to ur FAQ link on ur signature...hope this can help u help me...

my specs are...
    1. intel(r) pentium(r) 4 CPU 2.40GHz, ~2.4GHz or HOME-E5ABYFCZON
    2.256MB RAM
    3.????
    4.???
    5.????
    6.DirectX 9.0c(4.09.0000.0904)
    7.???
    8.????
    9.total memory-64.0MB
    10.game loads realy slow...thumnails, pictures, portraits, and thought bubbles that are supposed to show the sim's faces show up blank.

7. tayconway8

tayconway8 New Member

all of them are set to low....ahhh i dont know what to do!! someone have a simple way to help? im not real good with computers but i love this game! any simple ways to help?:(

8. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Hi, tayconway. Did you try running this thing?

I'm quoting here from Mirelly's FAQ...

dxdiag can be run on any Windows Machine by following these instructions:
    • Click the Start button
    • Click Run (bottom of the right-hand half of Start Menu)
    • In the pop-up box, type in dxdiag
    • Click the OK button and wait for the 'puter to chug through its business. (May take a few minutes)
    • Items 1 thru 6 in the list above are to be found on the dxdiag report's main tab that is labelled System
    • Items 7 thru 9 will be answered on the Display tab

9. tayconway8

tayconway8 New Member

ya i did run that thing....ummm it kinda confused me...so i filled out as much as i could...i posted it earlier. anything u can do?

10. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Who, me?! I'm an idiot about computers, lol. I've just been pointing out all of Mirelly's posts and FAQs in anticipation of Mirelly or Manager Josh coming back on board.

What I'm guessing is that there is something not quite right about your graphics card. It could just be that you need the latest driver, but I don't know enough.

Do you know how to take a picture or a screen shot in the game and post it here using the "Manage attachments" button? It's just a thought.

Also, while you wait for them, you might try searching in the troubleshooting forums. Use the search function (see it along the top of the page?) Do a search of the threads for "blank face" or "blank icon" or something.

It's almost 10 pm here and I need to log off. But don't give up hope. I expect someone will try to help, if not tonight, then by tomorrow. :)

11. caduto

caduto New Member

if you run dxdiag and then click the button on the bottom that says 'save all information' it will create a notepad file with the info on it and you post all of that here.

having only 256MB RAM could be your problem as this is the minimum requirement. i have 1024mb on both my machines and they run it ok. your processor seems fine so if i was you i would buy a new ram chip. at least 512mb, or get a 1024mb if you can afford it.
    although the problem couls be your graphics card, so post the dxdiag file and other people on here will be able to tell you if graphics card is compatible or not.

12. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

From what you've got so far, your computer is at the very bottom of abilities. A graphics card with only 64mb of memory is very bottom end, as is 256mb of RAM. Your processor is also at the low end since it can't totally make up for your low end graphics card or low RAM.

When that happens, the game will play, but as you describe, it will often be slow. You'll need to save *very* frequently or it will not only freeze, but will crash entirely (which is a bummer.)

So, some things that will help:
    1) Save frequently. By frequently I mean about every 15 minutes that you spend playing the game.
    2) Don't use any downloaded material. Use only what the game itself installs.
    3) Make sure that you have all your background computer processes turned off before you try to start up your game. That means unhooking from the internet (so that you are safe to turn off your virus and privacy protection), turning off your virus and privacy protection, going into your computer's task manager and shutting down everything that is not labeled "System", "Local Service",or "Network service", "taskmgr.exe or "Systray" or "Explorer" (such as "explorer.exe) You get there by using "Control/alt/delete" together. (The booklet which comes with the game includes detailed instructions for doing this. This post only has room for the "short" version.)
    4) Make sure that all the settings on your game are at the minimum possible. It won't be as "pretty" that way, but it will play better.

If all else fails and you still want to play the game, check into ways of updating or replacing your computer.

Unfortunately, even if your computer meets the minimum requirement, that only means that your game will do basic play. That's why people are saying that you should have a minimum of 512mb of RAM, a T&L able video card with at least 125mb of video memory for a processor like you have. I suspect that your video card is not T&L able or is one of the ones which is only partially T&L able.

13. AlisonSBurke

AlisonSBurke New Member

Could I have some help too? This is the computer system info from the dxdiag thingy:

Current Date/Time: Sunday, June 18, 2006, 11:57:16

Computer Name: GQRJ41S

Operating System: Microdoft Windows ME (4.90, Build 3000)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation

System Model: XPS-Z

BIOS: Intel

Processor: Intel Pentium III, ~1.0GHz

Memory: 128 MB RAM

Page File: 166 MB used, 1754 MB available

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

Now, I might have made some spelling errors, I had to write it onto a notepad and re-write it here. I realised it isn't exactly as good as it could be when I helped my friend download her Sims 2 onto her spiffing new laptop. I thought it might be a bit slow, as it was a laptop, but the graphicss were amazing, and the speed! For instance, in Create-A-Family mode, you click on the Create-A-Sim button, and click New Sim... Now it takes about 3-5 minutes for the Create-A-Sim screen to show up, so I usually get up and see what everyone else is doing, maybe get a drink. But her computer got onto the Create-A-Sims screen almost instantly! I don't think my computer is as bad as Tayconway8's, but how bad is it?

Edited to Say: Why do I have a little green box? I know they're reputation points, or something, but last time I checked, I didn't have any referrals... Or are referrals something completely different?

14. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

Oh, dear. This computer makes the other one look like it's a really good one. You have specs which would have trouble running all the EPs of TS1 even. They are definitely below TS2's and with a computer of that age (as the PIII's haven't been common for quite a while), they're rarely updatable enough to make it worth the time and money to do it.

15. AlisonSBurke

AlisonSBurke New Member

:eek: It's... That bad???

Oh dear...

16. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Yeah, sorry 'bout that, Alison. Time to start pestering the 'rents, methinks :rolleyes:

The little green box is a reputation marker. Hover over it to see a message about your rep or go to your admin control panel and read what others are saying about you ... it's right down the bottom of the page.

17. Chee-Z

Instead of starting a thread about computer spec questions, I'll post my question here. I recently received a laptop for a graduation present, and I was wondering if, with these specs, this laptop can run The Sims 2.

Windows XP Professional
    Intel Pentium M Processor with 2.00GHz
    1016MB RAM
    111GB harddrive space total, 93.6GB left
    DirectX 9.0C
    I'm assuming this is the display card: Mobile Intel 915GM/GMS, 910GML Express Chipset
    driver name: ialmrnt5.dll version 6.14.0010.4332,6/8/2005
    128.0MB display memory
    and I'm planning on having The Sims 2, Uni, NL and OFB on the laptop if possible.

:)

18. Chee-Z

Well for the heck of it, I installed Sims and its expansions, and the laptop somewhat bears the burden of playing them all. Though there were some weird glitches that made Franz have a woman-like head and Yuna a man-like head. I fixed those by deleting and remaking them in CAS. :eek: