Troubleshooting HELP ME i got all locations lost.

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by XP_2600, Jul 10, 2006.

1. XP_2600

XP_2600 New Member

HELP ME i got all locations lost.

Hi there, i have a strange problem i got all my locations lost, its didnt happend at one step, its happend in three steps everytime i lost one location, now i lost the third one, i lost pleasent view then i lost veronna ville, then finally i lost strange town, its happend eveytime i get my partition which contain my documents (where sims 2 save its files) every time i get this partition full of data then i free up some space in the partition. but its didnt help, now i need to bring these locations back please help me.i want to know whats happend and how can i avoid that next time and what can i do to get these locations back, thanks so much.

2. JohnEZ

JohnEZ The Mac Guy

In "freeing up space within in the partition," could you have accidentally deleted the neighborhood files? If so, I'm not entirely sure what I would do about it, however, if it's just the neighborhoods you want (without the Sims), Maxis provided the terrains for each one. Go into TS2 and when you get the open screen that would normally display the neighborhoods, click the option to add a new one. You'll see the Strangetown, Pleasantview, and Veronaville terrains (among many others)--empty, but ready for you to create a community.

3. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

NOTE doing the following will remove all of previously saved files.

Start >> My Documents

Find the folder named EA Games and double click it to open it

Find the folder named The Sims 2 and right click it and select delete

When you restart The Sims 2 all of the original three neighborhoods will be restored, untouched by human hand and ready for you to mess around with to your heart's content.

If have any downloaded content that you wish to save and re-use ...

Remove the folder called Downloads from the The Sims 2 folder before deleting it ... you may put Downloads back after you get your neighborhoods back.

4. XP_2600

XP_2600 New Member

Thanks for help, but i want to say something that i didnt touch files, didnt delete any files from sims2, also what i need the families which i built inside these places, so is there any solution to get them back ?

5. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Sorry sunshine but if the game isn't shwoing the neighborhoods then all the stuff within is sure to be corrupted and close ot impossible to retrieve. Most of us had to start over more than once. I've had two major loses myself :eek: It hurts but it's also fun to start afresh ....

6. Nahimana

Nahimana New Member

I had a similar problem today. Pleasantview was no longer an option on the neighborhood selection screen. Going into My Documents>EA Games>The Sims 2>Neighborhoods>N001 I noticed that the file N001_Neighborhood.package is only 1 KB in size... much smaller than the 1.83 MB size for Veronaville. (in N002) I believe this file got corrupted by a hard shutdown of my computer.

As I understand it, this is the file that defines the locations for each lot, and which families live where. I was able to recover the lots by copying and renaming the files from the N001>Lots folder to the LotCatalog folder in the The Sims 2 folder. That places them into the lot bin. The problem with recovering sims themselves is that they're associated through that file, and can't be simply copied over in this way. When you recover the lots, you don't get the families with them.

If anyone knows of a utiliy to trick the computer into allowing those sims to be recovered, I'd love to know. They were being played live so none of them were bundled into packages, so I can't just pop them into the bin. The data is still there, just the file that associated them with the neighborhood is missing, so I can't access them in-game.

7. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Yowch! :eek: Recovering damaged, lost or corrupted files is a very difficult and haphazard business. As far as the The Sims 2 is concerned recovery is not an option. Repairing/recovering damaged files is never 100% ... some loss is inevitable. For most purposes this is acceptable (eg an author would be thrilled to get back 99% of a lost book) ... but 99% of a neighborhood's files is no more use than 1% as far as the game is concerned. You might be able to use a program to hand code the missing 1% from memory but frankly that would take longer (and be a LOT less fun) than playing thru a 10 generation legacy. You must remember that every memory, every interaction, is mapped in the character files.

Take my advice. Do what we have all had to do. Start fresh and enjoy creating a brand new story :D

8. sims2addict85

sims2addict85 New Member

Same problem

I had the same problem with my locations and I tried to delete the Sims 2 from my documents but they said that something was corrupted or unreadable I need to run the chkdsk utility but I have no idea how to that.Does anyone know?

9. simcrazy5000

simcrazy5000 Random Crazy Person

i figured it out from a lucky guess just type "chkdsk" (w/o the quotes) into the Run thing under the start menu...hmmm let me try to make this easier...if you understand that thats great! just hit the enter key and you're good to go but if you don't visit http://www.nickschiwy.com/worldsims/chkdsk.html and follow the directions there. If the page isn't working yet don't worry it will be soon I just wanted to post this before i accidentally closed the page.

10. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

"chkdsk /f" and "chkdsk /r" might be more of a help. Type Y when DOS asks you if you want to run checkdisk at reboot, then restart your computer and before you login windows should run check disk.

EDIT: If the files are actually corrupted and check disk doesn't help, put your backups over the files or if you don't have backups then you'll probably have to start over.

11. sims2addict85

sims2addict85 New Member

getting aggravated

i am so aggravated right now.i tried to run my chkdsk utility but it didn't take care of the problem.i tried to delete the file but it says it unreadable or corrupted.i don't know what else to do....someone help me please:mad: