Can't download...

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by MoRgAn36, Jul 26, 2006.

1. MoRgAn36

MoRgAn36 New Member

Can't download...

Hey everyone!!!*:D* I'm new with this posting stuff but am a LONG time reader of Porta de Luca, I've been reading it FOREVER! {good job surprised_by_witches!!!} it's a very interesting story.

But to get to my question:
    Ok, I don't have internet on my computer that I have my Sims 2 on and I see how everyone has all this really cool stuff... {and I get like REALLY jealous... LoL***}... and I was wondering does like most of it like all the cute hair-dos and clothes {like the short denim shorts and cute cami's} get downloaded off the internet or do they come with other expansion packs??*:confused:*

And plus I only have Sims 2 on my computer with no expansion packs because I don't really know which one I should get... and plus I don't know what my computer can handle... So my other question is what expansion packs are the BEST?

Whoa that was long! HeHe!

Thanx~MoRgAn***:D***

2. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

Well, how could I not reply after that flattering compliment? Glad you like my story.

Check out this thread: http://forums.worldsims.org/showthread.php?p=109268#post109268

It's full of download sites (note: some links are out of date). I never pay for my downloads, can't afford it, but fortunately many sites offer some, or all, of their content for free.

You need the SimsFileMaid. Click here. She's also free. I use her because she's the easiest and downloads quickly.

Install and open the SimsFileMaid. Drag and drop your rar and zip files onto her "lawn" and she'll take care of the rest. Make sure Sims 2 or BodyShop isn't running at the time.

As for downloads, you need to pay attention to whether or not the mesh is included. The mesh is the pattern upon which the clothes or hairdos or whatever are made. If it's not included, you need to download both or it won't work. Sometimes this means visiting another site. I've learned to avoid those unless I really want the item. I don't have that kind of patience.

And oh, if you get creative and recolor stuff don't offer it for upload without checking with the creator of the mesh to see if they allow it. Many creators are very picky about this. (Understandable.) But feel free to recolor it any way you want for your own use.

Be careful! It's addictive. Your game will load slower the more downloads you have. Mine's like molasses, but my sims look pretty. (Hint: Custom skin tones are huge memory hogs. Avoid unless you can't stand it. However, I do recommend getting the replacement default skin tones and eyes offered by some sites. All of your sims will look nicer, even the NPCs.)

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have more questions.

As for EPs, that's been discussed to death. If you plan to eventually get them all it's best to do it in order. That way you won't "confuse" your game. But if you're only going to get one, ever, I guess it depends on how you play, but I'd go with Nightlife. I think it is the most entertaining, overall. And it lets you see the neighboring buildings, which is very cool.

3. MoRgAn36

MoRgAn36 New Member

Hello! Well thank you for the advice, but I don't have internet on my computer that I have my Sims 2 on so I can't do that. Thanx anyways.

But you know since you can be a hair dresser or w/e in OFB, are there cute hair styles from that or do you just have the same old boring hair styles?

And I just got my computer filled with memory so that I could play The Sims 2, but it still goes kind of slow at times {for example... if i made a big mansion it would go super slow} so I'm kinda scared that if I install some of the expansion packs it will go like 2 miles an hour or something. So I need to know which expansion packs are best. Which 2 are your favorite?:confused:

4. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

Even if you don't have internet on your Sims computer, you can still have downloads as long as the computer which is hooked to the internet has a CD burner.

Basically, you download the files into a folder on the internet computer, then copy that folder onto a CD. Then move the stuff from the CD onto your Sims abled computer and just follow SBW's instructions from there.

There are tons of stuff out there for download. But since you don't have all the EPs, you'll need to check to see what EPs are needed for what you want to upload. It's not uncommon for recolors and clothes to use meshes that are only in EPs. So, if something doesn't show up and didn't tell you it needed to download a specific mesh to make it work, chances are it was based on an EP you don't have. (This is true of clothing, accessories, hair, furniture, building materials and the like.)

Sometimes the creators don't even tell you that you need a specific EP, so just be aware of that. I found recently that I was up the creek with a couple of clothes things because I didn't have the Holiday stuff pack. So, when they re-release it I'm going to have to get it. Nothing with the download said anything about needing it though.

5. MoRgAn36

MoRgAn36 New Member

Hello!
    Thanks! This is a really stupid question but how do you know if your computer has a burny thing?

6. djrules5454

djrules5454 Wiivolutionary

The CD-Drive should say CD-RW (or compact disc rewritable) on it. For instance, I have 2 CD drives on my computer, and they both say on them what they are capable of. One says that it can read CDs and DVDs as well as burn them, while the other one can only read them. Hope this helps!;):D

7. MoRgAn36

MoRgAn36 New Member

Yay!

Hello!

KK got it!... thanks for everyones help!...

:D :p :D

8. MoRgAn36

MoRgAn36 New Member

Wait!

Oh Snap!... but do I download the maid thingy too then put that on the disc???:confused:

9. djrules5454

Your gonna have to. It's the only way to get many files into the game. Most created content is either a RAR file or a Zip file.

10. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

Yes, you'll want to download that and put it on the disc so that you can get it onto your non-internet computer.

You can do all this without having to use the SimFile Maid, but it makes it easier to use that rather than having to figure out where to put things the long way.

Many of us just manually put things in the proper folder, but that takes a bit of computer savvy.

However, you'll need to know how to open a zip or rar file so that you can open the SimFileMaid at least. If you have WindowsXP as your operating system on your non-internet computer, all you have to do is right click on the zip file and it will give you options for opening it. (I use the "open to here" so that it puts it in the same folder where I also have the zip. It's less likely to get lost that way.) I don't use SimFileMaid, so I don't know if it's a rar file, which you'd need to get a rarfile opener to use. (WinRar, PowerZip or one of the others which opens rar files. Most of them also open zip files so if your operating system is older than XP, you could open them without having to get WinZip separately.)

11. djrules5454

Sim File Maid 2 is an setup/install program I think. I use this because it is quicker than all other methods that I know of installing TS2 custom content. Unzipping 30 files after a download session is a massive pain, as I discovered with Sim City 4. I use SFM2 because it gives me more time to sim in the long run.;)

12. mEtAlHeAd

mEtAlHeAd O RLY??

CruG

I cant find my downloads folder under

EA games/the sims 2/~~~~

13. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Are you looking for it under My documents/EA games/The Sims 2/Downloads ?

If there isn't one than you have to create the folder with exactly that name -- note that the word starts with a capital letter.

If you happened to have created anything in Body Shop then I believe a Downlods folder is created automatically, which is what happened to me.

BTW, folks. I know that almost everyone here uses the Sims File Maid and it's very convenient. I messed it up, though, when I first got it so I can't use Sims File Maid. However, I got the Q Xpress Installer here: http://qxpress.modthesims2.com/ Then I created a new folder on my Desktop called :rolleyes: New Downloads. Now I move anything I download into that folder. Then I click on the Local Install tab of the Q Xpress Installer, browse for my New Downloads folder (actually only had to do that the first time,) and hit Install. All done. So Q Xpress works for any download site, not just MTS2.

Just thought I'd mention it to anyone who did not already know this. :eek:

14. mEtAlHeAd

mEtAlHeAd O RLY??

DARN i accident choose wrong place to put DL's in...is there anyway i can change the path?
    Like change the maids path to put dls in

15. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Uh oh. That's what I did. That's why I use Q Xpress now. :eek:

16. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

Just wanted to add, you don't need a CD burner. A jump drive or zip disk will work just as well, if the computer has those capabilities.

You might even get away with a floppy but it won't hold much.

17. MoRgAn36

MoRgAn36 New Member

alritey!!!

Thank you everyone!

I have gotten really tired of playing JUST the Sims 2.

So, I'm going shopping this weekend and I wanna stop by Target or something to get other EP's. So, which ones are THE BEST?!?!?!? Because, I don't really wanna end up with cheesy ones that get boring, yah know what I mean. So, please help!?!

18. mEtAlHeAd

mEtAlHeAd O RLY??

hmmm...my dl'ed objects dun work atm :(

19. djrules5454

I have every EP, but I don't have the Family Fun Stuff Stuff Pack. I suggest getting all EP's, but not any of the stuff packs like Family Fun Stuff and Glamour Life.

20. MoRgAn36

MoRgAn36 New Member

kkk thank ya!

thanx everyone for the help!