Rest in peace

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by alliekat, Sep 4, 2006.

1. alliekat

alliekat Insert quirky comment

Rest in peace

Croc Hunter, Steve Irwin

I honestly thought someone was telling a joke when I first heard "Did ya hear, the Croc Hunter died." I was waiting for the punchline. Turns out, there was none.

While not really a fan of Steve Irwin's, I still feel it's a great loss for Australia, if not the world as he was more well known overseas than here really.

Well that's my 2 cents. Rest in Peace Mr Irwin, and my sympathies to Terri, Bindi and Bob.

2. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

That's terrible news. He was a real champion for animals everywhere. My daughter was a big fan of his.

3. SolidSnake_19

SolidSnake_19 Senior Moderator

That's horrible. I never would have believed it without the link as he's had so many close calls before...

I was a big fan of his show, I'll missed him.. and my sympathies go out to his family.

4. jupitershana

jupitershana Kitty Fanatic!

I read that very early this morning and was very shocked. I loved his accent and listening to him say "crikey!" all the time. We imitate him on a regular basis. I feel terrible for his wife and kids.

RIP Steve Irwin.

5. person123

person123 Frumpy McDoogle!

My mom and dad left for Chinatown this morning, and they came into my sister's and my room looking for her cellphone. My dad was announcing, very loudly, about reading about it on the Comcast website. I always loved his accent, too. :(

6. babewithbrains_14

babewithbrains_14 The Offtopic Queen!!!

Ah, Steve Irwin. I miss him already, great man. His hilariously stupid but still amazingly breathtaking stunts will always be remembered.

All those crocs that may have passed since his various encounters with them will be gunning for him in Animal Heaven.

RIP Stevie, really sad that you're no longer with us.

Bloody sting-rays. Always said they look fishy.

7. JohnEZ

JohnEZ The Mac Guy

Babe, you're back! Is it permanent this time? :D

On topic, I knew it'd happen eventually... I just thought for sure it'd be a croc, not a sting-ray. :( Very sad indeed :(

-John

8. Itsmesweet

Itsmesweet Sims Nut & Typo Queen!

Yeah i saw that on the news about the stingray punching his heart and he died instantly... It is so said. I feel for his family .I know it was hard for his wife to find out and his 2 children. I like him..with his Crikey ..self :cry:

9. person123

:hyper: Babe, you are back! I have missed your corny jokes.

10. Lynet

Lynet New Member

I was sorry to hear about Steve Irwin. Very sad. I suppose if you have to get killed by wildlife, it was quick. Better than getting torn up by a crocodile. He always seemed to take a lot of risks.

As for Babe, maybe we'll see more of her now that school's in session again. ;)

11. Sylla

Sylla New Member

So sad... Every one seems to still be in a state of shock over it here, I know am. A man so full of life and energy, just gone like that... :cry:

He didn't quite die instantly, his manager revealed yesterday after viewing the video that Steve had a moment of shock where he pulled the barb from his chest, then he died. Just thought I should clear that up, but it still would have been very quick and he did die doing something he loved.

12. babewithbrains_14

babewithbrains_14 The Offtopic Queen!!!

123! Excuse me? Corny?!

How dare you. I am shocked.

A guy at school said that Steve said 'Crocs Rule!' just before he died. I seriously am sad that he died, and find stuff like that in bad taste.

Stuff I say doesn't count. :p Yes, I am back permanently!!! Been so bloody busy!!! Ah well. I love ya!

13. person123

Look, I've finally caught up to you in posts! In twice the time, though. :eek: I guess it's easier to get 1000 posts in a year and a half when you spam all the time...:rolleyes:

14. surprised_by_witches

You don't spam, sweetie. You add interesting insight to our discussions.

And yeah! Babe is back.

As for Steve Irwin, my husband pointed out that he died the way he wanted to. We're all very sad about it, of course, but a guy who courts death on a daily basis has to realize on some level that his number could be up at any time. He had no fear, and he truly cared about the animals he worked with. He was a real individual and the world is a poorer place without him.

But the ones I feel really bad for are his wife and kids. I think it's harder to be the ones left behind.

15. person123

I was talking about Babe! :D

Yes, I agree, SBW. He was pretty young, too. His son's only 2...

16. alliekat

alliekat Insert quirky comment

A double blow for Australia.

Probably not as well known around the world as Irwin, but he also died doing what he loved. My partner Ash is pretty upset about this one, he was his idol.

Rather sad week really.:tombstone:

17. Sylla

Sylla New Member

I was going to post about this one yesterday Allie... the accident happened 20 minutes down the road from me, on roads that me and my family drive on all the time so this one hit me really hard....:(

18. FinalFantasy4ever

FinalFantasy4ever Oh where in the world...

After hearing how Irwin died it kind offreaked my mum out because she had just been swimming with at least 100 stingrays not too long ago and even though they were told there wasnt any harm she still thinks what if that had happened.....

19. surprised_by_witches

No sense worrying about stuff you did in the past. Just tell your Mum not to do it again ... :rolleyes:

That is too bad, but the guy was 61. He had to know that eventually his number could come up. So yeah, it's sad, but he died doing what he loved, as already mentioned.

I think it's sadder when someone dies before they reach their goals. These two men were an example to all of us that you only go around once, so make the most of it.