How Do I Synchronising

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by ShaunTaylor18, Sep 29, 2006.

1. ShaunTaylor18

ShaunTaylor18 LOTRS Lead Guitarist

Synchronising

Hey everyone!

I have some software for synchronising folders, and what I want to do with it is basically make it synchronise all of my sims 2 data whenever it changes with a folder on some other form of storage media, so that even if my hard drive dies I can still simply get all the files back.

Which folders will I need to synchronise? I have everything up to (and including) Family Fun Pack.

Cheers
    Shaun

(also, while I'm asking this... is Glamour Life Stuff any good?)

2. HelloKit

HelloKit New Member

You need the entire "The Sims 2" folder under My Documents\EA Games. All of your downloads and game data are in there. Note that the actual core game files are in another location, and it won't do you any good to back them up. The game (and all EPs) has to be installed over again to work on a new hard drive. Just putting the files back doesn't work because the installation also makes changes to the Windows registry. But, once you've reinstalled the game and all your EPs, putting back the My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2 folder will restore your neighborhoods, sims, and downloads back to just the way you left them.

3. ShaunTaylor18

I know, I can reinstall from discs; the reason is just that I want to be able to recover the families and lots etc.

I didn't realise I would need everything in the folder. But I'll give that a go ;) thanks!

4. ShaunTaylor18

Is it possible to use a program such as SimPE to create a backup of an entire neighborhood (including families etc.) and simply synchronise that?

5. ShaunTaylor18

6. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

That would be the same as using a backup program to just copy the files to another hard drive. Why do you need to make it any harder?

7. ShaunTaylor18

Haha, fair enough. I was just wondering if SimPe saved it all as one file or something, which would just be simpler.

8. pussycats_123

pussycats_123 New Member

Hey guys is it posible to play Sims 2 on a Windows ME?

9. Zman1764

Zman1764 New Member

so if i need to reinstall sims 2 and i wanna save my neighborhood, all i have to do is back up that folder in my documents?