512 MB RAM For Next EP*

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by danom8, Oct 25, 2006.

1. danom8

danom8 New Member

512 MB RAM For Next EP*

The next expansion pack* The Sims 2 In Season will require 512 megabytes of RAM (Random Access Memory). :eek:
    This is not only requires for in season, but for any 5 expansion/stuff packs added to The Sims 2 Base game. :cry:

This is a bit dissapionting considering the fact that anyone who bought a PC with the minimum 256 MB of RAM to run The Sims 2 Base game will now have to DOUBLE their RAM to continue adding expansion and stuff packs (and I'm assuming the newly coming Mini Packs also)

It just shows how power demanding the Sims 2 is thankfully this does not affect me because I have 1 Gig of RAM (Yipeee) :)

Do you thinks it's worth paying a relatively large ammount of money to add RAM to your PC to continue adding Expansion Packs* to the Sims 2 or do you all ready have enouh RAM to run it? :confused:

2. Chee-Z

Chee-Z The Go-Kart Mozart

I thought the standard for computers nowadays is 512 RAM. For the upcoming Windows Vista OS they recommend 1 GB of RAM. :eek:

3. Sylla

Sylla New Member

I don't know how anyone can manage on less than 512 these days anyway, between windows, video cards and your anti-virus, the whole lot of 256 would be used up before even starting up the game. On the plus side, RAM is the most easily and probably one of the cheapest upgrades you can get and worth it all around, not just for the sims.

4. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Where did you get this information? Source please?

5. danom8

danom8 New Member

If you read the back of Pets Expansion Pack in the system requirements box you will see beside memory 256 MB RAM**

Then inthe small print under the system requirements box after ** it reads 512 MB RAM is required if more than 5 Expansion Packs are installed.

6. darkdragonluver

darkdragonluver New Member

Well Nightlife requires 512 MB RAM as well

7. Sacharissa

Sacharissa New Member

Hon - It's worth buying a whole new computer! That's my plan, anyway!!!

My current laptop does everything I need just fine, and could probably last me another couple of years...EXCEPT The Sims 2 has it gasping for breath a bit, and I only JUST got Open for Business! So with next year's tax reurn, I'll be buying me a shiny new MacBook Pro...just in time for Pets to be released for Mac!:D

8. ManagerJosh

I wouldn't believe everything in writing -.-'

9. slimsim

slimsim Often-Idle Member

If you are using a computer now with less than 512 MB of RAM, I'm suprised your'e able to play Sims 2 to begin with.

10. Eh oh well

If you think about it it just means teh game is getting better ...you can;t be much of a gamer with only 256mb of ram anyway im a gamer and play games other than sims2 and i have 2gb of ram and most the games i have require at least 512mb of ram like bf2 and bf2142 company of hero's, ect. Heck Crysis thast comeing out early 2007 requires 756mb ram minimum and recomends haveing 1.5 gb and a daul core processor

11. lol you are obviously a mac fan....which if your a gamer is bad macs are fine and all just arent the ideal gameing platform =S i'd buy windows if i were playing to game with it

12. ManagerJosh

I would beg to differ. Running games on bootcamp has proven extremely reliable and in some instances, equally or better than PCs.

13. I never understoon why a mac isnt a pc ...i mean "pc" stands for Personal Computer" a Mac is still a Personal computer...its only diffrence is it RUns Mac instead of windows...which iv seen to be very much alike they just look diffrent and have a few diffrent featuers ect but either way they both are capible of doing the same things =/

sorry if im going of subject >.>

14. ManagerJosh

The term PCs have generally become synonymous with machines that operate Windows. When you think of a PC, you think of a machine operating Windows when PC in it's true origination form represents Personal Computer.

Nowadays Macs can run Windows too, with the assistance of bootcamp.

15. danom8

danom8 New Member

Before I bought my new laptop I ran The Sims 2 On My Older One.
    It only had 128 RAM and a celeron processor. It did run The Sims 2 (with relatively long loading times that is) but when I installed university or any other Expansion packs for that matter it just refused to work, I had slow reaction times and it would skip frames.
    So although The Sims 2 requires 256 RAM it ran for me with 128 although I'm sure this is not the case with all systems.

I bought my new Laptop, which as just over 1 GIG of RAM and the game runs a dream. The main loading screen only takes about 30 secs and any loading screens for entering neighbourhoods lots and Create-A-Family mode only take about 10 secs.

I don't believe they will make many more Expansion Packs* because of the ammount of RAM that will be required. We already need double the ammount of RAM we needed when the series started so imagine how much RAM we would need if 10 Expansion Packs* and 5 Stuff Packs* were installed!