Troubleshooting Error copying?

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by joeySimzee, Dec 1, 2006.

1. joeySimzee

joeySimzee Hysterical Kangaroo

Error copying?

I'm currently installing my sims 2 from a new CD (because the old one wasn't working), and when it already said 100% and the "please wait" box came up, a dialog box popped up saying that "a problem occured when trying to transfer the file 'G:\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\UserData\Neighborhoods\N001\Characters\N001_User00103.package' from the media.

Do you want to retry to copy the file, or cancel the installation?"

I pressed Retry and it kept giving me that error. I didn't click "cancel" yet - any ideas on what to do next?

P.S. But when I go to my installation destination, the N001_User00103.package file is there. I'm currently trying to manually move the file to that folder again and "replace" it. And when I tried running the game, an error keeps popping up saying that The Sims 2 needs to close,please contact Microsoft and all that - even Bodyshop. What do I do now?

P.S.S. Also, basically all the folders in my My Documents/EA Games/The Sims 2 are empty. I've got a backed up folder of everything before I uninstalled - will it be okay if I just add the files in from my backed up copy? Or extract them from the CD?

2. veruaffe

veruaffe New Member

Okay let me try helping you with your problem,

(1) Check to see if there are any scratches, fingerprints, or marks of any kind on the disk surface. Something even as small as a piece of hair or a very light scratch can cause this error. If you find any fingerprints or debris try cleaning the CD or DVD with a soft cotton cloth

(2)
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]If you do not find any scratches, fingerprints, or marks of any kind on your CD, try renaming the InstallShield folder:
    1. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Double-click on the My Computer icon.[/FONT]
    2. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Double-Click on the C:[/FONT]
    3. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Double-Click on Program Files then on Common Files.[/FONT]
    4. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Right-Click on the InstallShield folder. [/FONT]
    5. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Select Rename.[/FONT]
    6. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Rename it to InstallShieldOld.[/FONT]
    7. [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Start the installation again to reinstall the InstallShield components with the newest version.
      [/FONT]

If that doesnt work.. we can try manually installing your game

For the CD edition:
    Make sure to follow the steps below exactly as they read, or else the install may not work.
    1. Double-click My Computer.
    2. Right-click on the Local Disk C and choose Open.
    3. Right-click inside the window and select New, and then Folder.
    4. Name the folder Disk Images it is important that the name has a space in it.
    5. Double-Click the new Disk Images folder to open it.
    6. Right-click inside the window and select New, and then Folder.
    7. Name this folder Disk1.
    8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 while substituting Disk1 for Disk2 and so on until there are 4 'Disk' folders followed by a number 1 through 4. it is important to note there must not be a space between "Disk" and the number.
    9. Insert Disk 1 of The Sims 2 into your CD-Rom drive and if the autoplay starts, cancel it.
    10. Double-click My Computer to open it.
    11. Right-click on your CD-ROM drive and choose Open.
    12. When you see the contents of the disk in the Window, click on Edit at the top of the window and choose Select All.
    13. All the contents of the disk should now be highlighted, click on Edit at the top of the window again and choose Copy.
    14. Open the Disk1 folder you created under C:\Disk Images; click on Edit at the top of the window and choose Paste. This will copy the contents of the CD into the Disk1 folder.
    15. Repeat steps 9 through 14 for the remaining disks until you have copied each disk into its appropriate folder.
    16. Once all the disks have been copied, remove ALL CDs from any drives.
    17. Open the Disk1 folder under Disk Images and double-click on autorun.exe to start the installation.
    18. To save disk space, you can delete the Disk Images folders after the installation has completed.

[/FONT]

3. joeySimzee

joeySimzee Hysterical Kangaroo

Thankyou, the problem's already solved now! Sorry for not updating my question on that :D But thanks a lot! :D

4. woohoosimz2

woohoosimz2 Woohoo Simz 3

i wonder?

See if you manually install the game. Do you still need the disk to play it??

5. MegRen

MegRen New Member

This thread was over 10 months old and the question was already answered. Please don't resurrect dead threads that have already had the problem solved. Some people get a little testy about it. :D

6. woohoosimz2

woohoosimz2 Woohoo Simz 3

ok

aww ok, ill post my question in a new thread :D