Troubleshooting Sims Locks after playing a little while...

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by couggar, Jan 1, 2007.

1. couggar

couggar New Member

Sims Locks after playing a little while...

I received the Sims2 Holiday Edition for christmas and have not been able to play for more then 45 min before the system freezes/locks up, followed by the screen going black and then me having to force reboot the computer.

System Specs
    --------------
    Time of this report: 12/27/2006, 10:44:12
    Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.0
    Processor: AMD Athlon(TM) XP 1800+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.2GHz
    Memory: 768MB RAM
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    ATI Radeon 8500 128 Ram 6.14.xxx drivers (most up to date out there)

I even ran the compatibility test from another site that gave me flying colors for this game outside the "recommended processor" be over 2.0
    Reinstalled Direct X 9.c

I have manually removed drivers and reinstalled the up to date driver from ATI's web site and still have the same problem. Never have had this issue before with anything else. Like I said I can play but it almost never fails to lock up after a little while. I have tried running with the -w switch and it runs in a window but still locks up. Have not tried the -nosound yet but I doubt that is the problem.

Any help would GREATLY be apreciated. :)

Thanks!
    Couggar

2. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

Are you saving the game about every 15 minutes of playing time? This is especially important if you have a slower processor.

3. alisuicide

alisuicide New Member

how do you save it every 15 min? i can only save mine when im exiting...

4. couggar

couggar New Member

You can save from within the game. I have done that and admit that it does tend to play longer when I do. However, I have had it lock up a couple times within seconds of saving it. Any other ideas out there?

As far as saving it in the game. No problem. Click on the little save disk in the "..." section. Works just great :)

5. timster0708

timster0708 New Member

just wondered

just wondered was the site that cougar used to show his computers compatability for the sims 2??

6. thebaron

thebaron New Member

You tried hitting the Windows key to return to desktop? No idea if this is relevent to you, but I just posted about a screen blanking problem - where I can press the Windows key, desktop comes back, then I click back into the game from the taskbar and it's still up and running.