Troubleshooting Graphics problem i believe but not 100% sure...screen goes blank after a while! HELP!

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by timster0708, Jan 21, 2007.

1. timster0708

timster0708 New Member

Graphics problem i believe but not 100% sure...screen goes blank after a while! HELP!

This only happens with the sims 2...all expansion packs aswell... but i hav tried playing pro evo 6, nba live 2005, and age of empires 2 on my comp and they work fine it is just the sims 2!

Wat the sims 2 game does... the time can range the time i play until it buggers up...from bout 10 minutes to half an hour.....

-The sound stops and the picture goes and then the screen turns onto the orange button(safe mode wateva it called).

-Or the other thing it does is gets a little blurring colour thing in the top left hand corner of the screen and when u move the mouse the lines move with it and after a while it just comes up wit a mass of colours and when moving mouse the colours change

any1 no wat is goin on?????

My specs for my comp are fine etc i dunno wat sorta problem it is!!! I NEED HELP!!!

Intel Pentium 4 processor 800MHz
    512Mb RAM
    Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, build 2600)
    Direct X 9.0c
    Medion Radeon 9800 XL
    Sims 2 CD

2. jupitershana

jupitershana Kitty Fanatic!

I'm not sure what the issue is as I'm not too technical minded.

My only guess is that many you need to update your drivers for your graphics card.

And please stop posting this; when someone who knows something about this sees it they will respond. We're a pretty slow forum. Check with the official Sims2 site for faster responses.

3. Esteldin

Esteldin New Member

maybe you need to upgrad your system...have you check the temps while you're playing sims?

4. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

Although people may hot realize it, TS2 is a *very* graphics and CPU intensive game. It may work fine for the games you mention, but you haven't mentioned whether it works with games which are also graphics and CPU intensive such as the ones used for benchmarking game systems.

Except for your graphics card (which is middle of the road), your system is minimal.

You need to make sure that you save *very* frequently (especially with a bottom end CPU and as little RAM as you have.) Also make sure that your computer has had its harddrives defragmented as that will make it easier for your CPU and RAM to operate.

Also, what setting options do you have your game set for? For best playing, you'd want the graphics options set fairly low so that the CPU isn't over taxed. Your graphics card should be ok (as long as you don't expect it to be top of the line in action for more than the basegame), but the "rate limits" on your playing are your older CPU and RAM.

Most people who are playing with more than the basegame have CPUs which are considered "minimal" at 2.0ghz with RAMs of 1gb or better. Otherwise it can get quite frustrating.

So, first off do a disc defrag to make sure that your disc information is easier for the game to find, then when you are playing, make sure to save every 10 minutes at the very least (more often if you are getting the problem more often.)

Also, is your computer possibly overheating? That can also cause some of the errors you're mentioning.

5. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

Updating drivers for the graphics card is definitely another good thing to do. That's another reason for the graphics to do what you're describing.

6. copter

copter New Member

I'd be looking at the temperature of your PC when it's running TS2. It sounds alot like an overheating issue to me. The restart is probably the system stopping to avoid overheating (frying?) damage.

7. Tigerseye

Tigerseye Rosanna Sparrow

Timster
    Heh. I had exactly the same problem. When your monitor goes onto power save, the CPU has overheated at the PC shuts itself down to prevent itself from frying. The reason for this (well, mine was, anyway) was that my graphics card was non-T&L, and this meant that 2.6 GHz processing power was needed. Although I had this, it still overheated and shut down.

Try updating your graphics drivers (probably downloadable from the manufacturer's site) and if that doesn't work, I'm afraid you're looking at either majorly updating your processor (expensive) or buying a new graphics card (cheaper - and you get better graphics :D)

Hope that helps,
    Tigerseye