What's New Now?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by surprised_by_witches, Aug 5, 2007.

1. Chris

Chris New Member

I'm doing English Language/Literature, Maths, Media Studies and Computing at college. Should be fun!

And Brainiac is awesome :D They just seem to blow up caravans all the time lol.

2. hugzncuddles

hugzncuddles New Member

Wow Chris, many congrats on your GCSE results! :D

I'm kinda surprised though - I thought you were older than 16. Take it how it's meant, as a compliment. :)

3. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

BTW I love your new avatar, Chris. Is that you? Who's the bozo with their arms around your neck? :p

4. Chris

Chris New Member

Haha, cheeky :p Yeah it's me, and the dog is my hyperactive cross-breed puppy Mack.

And thanks hugzncuddles :) Well I'm 17 in 10 days, gonna start to learn how to drive. Woo!

If you looked on the Sims 2 website 4 years ago, you would have seen some photos of me over at EA in the US when I was 13 hehe. Josh somehow managed to not be in them though!

5. hugzncuddles

hugzncuddles New Member

Yes, I saw those pics on various sites and Josh was in some of them, you too. I should have saved a copy of them all while I had the chance lol... come to think of it, I wonder if I have a cached page with them on my other (old) PC that I used around that time. Hmmm. Still, if anyone has a copy of those pics, you know where to find me, hehe. Although I have a couple (yes Josh, you were in them, mwuah) there is one in particular that I don't have. Gotta find it so my collection (and opportunity for mass bugging/teasing) is complete. :p

6. Chris

Chris New Member

That would be cool if you did :D I don't have them anymore :( I have a video in some drawer somewhere though...

7. hugzncuddles

hugzncuddles New Member

You have my full, undivided attention. Name your price?

8. muffin-tacos

muffin-tacos Queen of Xeex

LOL you guys! Munchkin Chris and Josh pictures. :p

First day back in school was so tiring -- even though we didn't do much. It was nice seeing all my pals again though. And jeeze everybody's become even taller over the summer!! :eek: I didn't think that was possible! Am I the only one that doesn't seem to have grown anything over the summer?? Sheesh. :rolleyes: My neck kind of hurts because I've had to look up at everybody all day every time I talked to someone. Guess I just have to get used to it. But then again, I already was.

Oh and about Brainiac. Don't you just hate the way that they ask lots of really interesting scientific questions and then don't answer them?

9. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Hi, from San Rafael, CA :hot:

No time to read much of anything. We've borrowed my daughter's laptop but my son has had it in his hotel room most of the time :rolleyes:

I did manage to catch a little on the stories the night before last. SO exciting. I'm looking forward to reading more. (caught up a little more, actually!!)

Looks like the forum has changed, too. :confused:

10. person123

person123 Frumpy McDoogle!

Agh! BFBVFS!

Actually, not really. The problem with the computer wasn't at all related to TS2. But anyway, today I broke the computer. I was looking at some stuff on deviantart.com and playing with ugly sims in Body Shop, and then the computer froze. So I waited a few minutes, and when it didn't thaw I turned off the computer via the start-up button and then turned it back on. Unfortunately, it said Windows couldn't start because of some problem or other that I didn't read about. I was going to call for my brother, but then I thought, "You know what? I'm not just some helpless girl. I can figure this out myself!" So I fiddled around with the options, but then the same error kept coming up, and eventually I decide to just wait for my brother to finish whatever it was he'd been doing. After a few minutes he declared that I had indeed broken the computer.

*Sob* So anyway, we have to reformat it, but now I'm going to lose all my sim files. Again. I'm beginning to think that starting up new legacies is useless if the comp's going to crash almost every summer (and why does it always happen in the summertime?)

And you know, I made an orphanage the other day and I was really enjoying playing it. I haven't had a lot of fun simming in a while, and it was nice and refreshing. I even had a good storyline going and I was thinking of starting up a story in the Library (though it hasn't been working for me the last few days. Can't read any of your stories), but then I went and broke the computer.

11. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Hi 123. Sorry to hear of your woes. Ask your brother if he can split your hard disc into 2 partitions. One for Windows and program files and the other for documents. Then if Windows ever needs reinstalling you can do it without risk of losing previously saved files.

I have Windows on Drive C and My Documents is on Drive D:

C: and D: are both partitons on the same hard drive. It was all done with Windows installer at the time of reinstalling Windows ... but can't be done after without starting over, so now is a good time to do it if you have a large enough hard disc. I'd say at least 80GB for basic use and 200GB if you intend/need to keep a lot of media files such as MP3s, pics and movies.

12. Chee-Z

Chee-Z The Go-Kart Mozart

They say (not sure who "they" are but I heard it from my technically incline brother :rolleyes:) that it's a good thing to reformat a computer once a year in order to "start fresh" and get rid of files, spyware, viruses, etc. that come with a year's worth of use. However, most sane people like all of us here would rather not do that. I had a desktop that'd conk out every winter and replacing the motherboard and reformatting seemed to do the trick.

For preparation of the next time your computer implodes, I would suggest backing up your EA folder to a CD, external harddrive, another computer on a network, or getting a personal flash drive that can hold your work. I haven't been backing up as much as I should but it's a good idea.

What's new with me:
    I've been broken up with my online boyfriend for about a month now, and I've realized that I'm better off without him. What an ***. Funny how the mind works, and how the process of dating functions. :rolleyes:
    Then the irony of ironies is that an old friend from elementary school got in touch with me, wanting to reconnect, and she's now married with a kid (keep in mind, we're both like 20 years old). Go figure, and what timing: ten years later after she disappeared off the face of the earth, and right after my highschool sweetheart and I broke up. No thanks, don't need a reminder of bad times. :eek:
    I started back to college and will be busy with that. I'll be taking photos for photojournalism and writing articles for a news website for my journalism major, which I'd be happy to share. :)
    I hadn't had much time for Sims obviously :( but I have the new storyline going for my story thread so that'll be refreshing for me. No sense starting from scratch when there's a Sim ready to play. :)
    I now have my own personal Nintendo DS for Brain Age 2 and Pokemon Diamond. My score in Brain Age is currently at 57 or something. :eek: I may have a Wigglytuff as an avatar but this is my first time playing Pokemon.

13. person123

Pokemon is one of my favorite games! I really want a DS, but I figure it's bad timing, right before high school and all. I have a pretty busy schedule next year.

This summer two of our computers broke. My sister and brother lost all of their important stuff from school, so now we're all buying our own flash/zip/thumb drives (why are there so many names for it?). That reminds me--a while ago I saw a picture of a thumb drive shaped like an actual thumb. I also saw a picture of a flash drive inside a teddy bear, and in order to plug it in you have to rip off the bear's head.

14. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

Heh. That's strangely appealing.

So sorry about your computer woes, 123. That's hard. I just found out what a DS was, today. Two people brought their sons to work with them and they synched up their DSs so they could play games. I had no idea such a thing existed.

I bought an external harddrive called my book or some such. It's really cute. I have all my simmies backed up on there so if I get the fiery thingy I won't have to throw myself off a bridge.

It's $99 but holds everything (250 GB). The cheapest larger jump drive I could find was $40 for about 5 GB, which won't hold all my sims, don't know about yours.

15. Jazz

Jazz Vintage User

Aaah today was a long day. It is SO hard keeping track of if i have homework! Gaa! My mom will call after school, "Have any homework?" "Pssssh i have no idea" So tonight is open house, AKA, she gets to navigate my classrooms in the amout of time i have to.

BTW im taking-

1st hr, Life Science
    2nd hr, Advanced Sudies
    3rd hr, Gym
    4th hr, Honors Social Studies
    --Lunch Baby!--
    5th hr, Interactive Science
    6th hr, Honors English
    7th hr, Honors Math

There are two buildings that make up the JH, The Math and Social Stud. building, and everything else. And i have 5 mins to get from class to class.

16. person123

Wow, you're only 12 and you're already taking Honors classes? Then again, I don't know if they're the same at your school as at mine.

My schedule, when school starts, is going to be pretty crazy. For every one of my core subjects, I'm taking an Honors class: Biology Honors, Geometry Honors, English Honors, Modern World History Honors, and French 2 Honors. I'm probably going to die. I'm also not looking forward to having to learn the layout of the high school. *Sigh* I don't want to be a freshman.

I have gym for my first class, too! That has to be the thing I hate most about my schedule. I'll be sweaty for the rest of the day...

17. Sacharissa

Sacharissa New Member

So, there I was, sitting in my room, windows open, enjoying the cool evening breezes. I was writing, trying to finish a few more chapters for my story before tomorrow night's deadline.

All of a sudden, right outside my window, I brakes and tires squealing, and then shouting:

"Get out of the car! On the ground! Hands up! Don't move!!!"

So I go to the window to check it out, and it's like this major bust! Five regular squad cars, four unmarked cop cars, and about 20 cops (several with bulletproof vests and guns drawn)! They've got two guys on the ground in handcuffs, and it's like a scene from Law and Order or SWAT!

So, I guess that was my excitement for the night!

18. Odinmoon

Odinmoon Creator of organised mess

Bad boys Bad boys watcha gonna do. Watcha gonna do when they come for you .:eek:

19. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

You are so lucky, Sacha. Nothing like that ever happens to me. :p

I feel yucky, oh so yucky . . . wish I was home in bed but I have a lot of work to do.

Sorry about your schedule, 123. That's rough. Sweaty all day, yuck. (Don't they let you shower?)

We went to Witch Baby's open house last night and met her teacher and her GT (gifted and talented) teacher. Both seem very nice. I hate it when I'm older than the teacher, though. When did that happen? :rolleyes:

20. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

What's new is that I have a blog entry still sitting in draft mode because I am too chicken to post it. The other day a friend was in a pre-occupied mood and over the course of a few hours, Auntie Mirelly was made privy to an ancient secret. And I thought soap operas were melodramatic! It's not my family, but what on earth does one do with a family destroying secret? I tried persuading my friend that openness was for the best, that forgiveness/understanding cannot begin until the secrets are aired (this, given that distrust and suspicion, already exists :( ), but my friend is too scared of the consequences even to consider it.

TGIF anyway. I have an appointment with a large glassful of the fruit of the vine and after that I shan't care about anything except deciding on whether to clear out my garden shed this weekend or tackling the ivy that is slowly choking the southwest wing of Mirelly Hall. The latter job should be considered urgent because another postponement could lead to TV aerial (antenna) downage ... trouble is ivy usually conceals lots of eight-legged beasties; not my favourite critters. :rolleyes: