How Do I MilkShape?

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by talita, Aug 26, 2007.

1. talita

talita New Member

MilkShape?

How does milkShape work?
    I downloaded it but it wont open png files, it only opens ms3d files and i dont even know what that is?!?:confused:

i want to recolor and create new objects like tv's,Appliances,bedroomStuff enc.:)

pleaz help!:D

2. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

LOL Milkshape is a complex program to master. It doesn't deal with graphic files (pictures) it deals with model files (meshes) and you need a fair bit of practise to master it.

There are a fabulous range of tutorials for teaching you how to start meshing (making new objects) but you will need several more downloaded applications before you can begin.

See: ModTheSims2.com for the best all-round support for creators.

Specifically I suggest you start here, because that will give you an idea as to where you need to begin.

I would say that 70% of the quality of a new object mesh (or a new hair or costume mesh for that matter) is in the quality of the texture map (the actual "skin", which is a flat image that is wrapped over and around the skeleton of the mesh. So you need also to practise and gain confidence with simple recolorings .... Many folks start out by redesigning clothes using Body Shop ... see here for more on that.

When I had a go at object making I followed, to the letter a tutorial I found here
    , specifically this one (form MilkShape & SimPE)

From the same source I also used this tutorial for UV Mapping (except that I used UV Mapper instead of Wings 3D - and had to consult the UV Mapper website's own tutorial section to make sense of some parts where the instructions didn't make sense because they were for the "wrong" program ... I think that makes sense ... yeah, sure it does.)

Finally take a gander at my own proud effort with MilkShape here

3. muffin-tacos

muffin-tacos Queen of Xeex

Oh, Mirelly, this is so helpful! Can I post a link to it in the Custom Objects tutorial thread that I posted the other day? :innocent:

4. talita

talita New Member

thanx! i hope i can do it! :D :)
    o yeah and another qeustion ,will SimPE be of some help?
    What is wings? do i need that to?:confused:

Sorry for all the qeustions! but im a little dum with these stuff!:eek:

:DThanx for all youre help!:D

5. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

You will need SimPE (essential for packaging your creations) Get it here (it's free)

Wings 3D is an alternative meshing software suite . It's an open source project (ie free to download and use without limit) and would be a better bet to learn on if you have not already bought and paid for Milkshape (like wot I did :dopey: )

6. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

You don't need to ask. I keep meaning to add your tutorial thread to the FAQs ... pester me huh?

I just made a tiny edit to my post, cos I noticed it was untidily edited ... ;)

7. talita

talita New Member

Hi

I already have simPE but how do i change a Package file into a UniMesh or SimPE file?
    I created a table on milkShape but i dont know how to put it in sims,can you help me with that?. I also want to create costum hair, Can i also do that with MilkShape and SimPE?

Thank you for all your help!! :D

8. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Come on, the tutorials are all there. Given them a go, huh. The first one has something like 100 separate steps. I've given you the link, the rest is up to you. I am not about to rewrite each individual step down here, just for you ... I mean that's not realistic, right?

I started out myself with zero knowledge and produced the dining set I linked you to. If I can, anyone can. My brain went fossilistic before you were born, so I know what I'm talking about.

Did I ever mention that I have a piece of South Africa on my desk? I shamelessly stole a lump of gold ore from a big heap at the bottom of a gold mine. The heap was labelled to the effect that it took that much ore to make 1 ounce of gold. I suspect that if 1% of visitors are as light-fingered as me then they either had to keep that darn heap regularly topped up or else it was simply shrinking and no one cared. :)

9. talita

talita New Member

Sorry for all the qeustions! next time i'l look before i ask.
    Thank you Very much for all you're help! i finally figured everything out!thanx to u :D :)