Spore Only one U.F.O?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Talk' started by master genesis, Aug 28, 2005.

1. master genesis

master genesis New Member

Only one U.F.O?

I know that one ufo is supposed to be one of the the largest things that you can accomplish, but can you have more than one, like an armada :confused:

It seems that Will has intended the U.F.O as more of a scout vehicle than anything but, what of invasion forces. :dunno:

2. strillor

strillor New Member

I don't think you'd be able to control more than one.. and since it can destroy EVERYTHING with that gigantic bomb... you wont need more ;) :bouncy:

3. K.Kraden

K.Kraden New Member

I also doubt there will be more than one U.F.O, for the reason of how the camera acted while in U.F.O. mode. If you watch the movie, the U.F.O. acts almost like the cursor, with what looks like a targeting reticule right in the center of the screen.

However, the U.F.O. can carry things within itself. While large-scale space battles are probably out of the question, large-scale ground assaults are quite possible. Just think of your U.F.O. as a supercarrier that acts as the transport and staging platform for your tour of duty.

I know that lots of people are looking forward and hoping for ship on ship combat, but in reality space battles are inefficient. The chance of finding an enemy ship within the unimaginably, hugely vast expanse of space, even between two planets, is incredibly slim. It would be like trying to find one little speck of dust in an ocean, except space is a hella lot bigger than any ocean. Even if you kept it close to the planet, it would be hard to implement because you would need to blockade the entire planet for an effective offense or defense, which would take hundreds, or even thousands of ships, and don't even get me started on how incredibly difficult it would actually be to shoot off a missile or cannon in space.

Yeah I know spore is a game and therefore not real, but by the looks of things, fleets are out. You can always hope the Maxoids are listening to what the people at Gaming Steve are saying, because they're all for 'em.

4. master genesis

master genesis New Member

Yes, I understand what you are speaking of K.Kraden, but i mean having a race that has conquered planet(s) to have one space designed vehicle seems a little dropped out of proportion. But otherwise I agree whith what you have previously spoken of.

5. Astrodog

Astrodog New Member

6. Pingpong

Pingpong New Member

I would like the ability to have smaller space ships, perhaps ones that can launch off of the UFO?

7. K.Kraden

K.Kraden New Member

Well, you also have to remember that you the player will only be focusing on one system/planet at a time, so one ship is all you really need. From what's been said and the like, I understand that the UFO in Spore acts like the Hand in Black and White. The hand is what you use to manipulate the land with, but you only have one hand. The opponent computer players likewise just have the one hand. If you watch them, you will actually see them running around like mad trying to do things with their one cursor, such as pick up trees and cast spells and the like. The point is, they (and you) could only pick up one tree at a time, and could only do one spell at a time, yet they (and you), with that one hand of theirs (or yours), were still very formidable opponents. Additional UFO's are not needed.

Also, from what I understand, other things happen in the background at your planets and at other planets and basically everywhere in the galaxy, so yeah your race can probably be attacked and such while you're out, but your race has to be able to defend itself, so maybe there will be extra 'phantom' ships thrown into the calculations as a defense tool... or something... I dunno. I hate to speculate like this because I'm afraid some Maxoid will walk by and see what I wrote and then laugh at how incredibly off the mark I was.

8. Tye

Tye New Member

I was wondering that because I thought it would be cool to bring loads of UFOs to orbit round an enemy planet and force them to surrender their technology while making sure no other UFOs can escape! :smile:

9. ProtoSpore

ProtoSpore New Member

I also wonder if your UFO can be destroyed? Do you have it always, or is it something that you can lose?

Questions questions, always more lol

PSpore

10. Martun

Martun New Member

I have another question for you all... Will other intelligent races build UFOs to come to your planet?!

This would be an awsome aspect to deal with... Especially if races are more advanced than yourself, and come down to your planet when you are still only in the 'tribal' stage! :bouncy:

11. kingofthenet

kingofthenet New Member

Hmmm, i think i've heard somewhere that other races won't probably be more advanced than you.

Heat

12. Martun

Martun New Member

That's a little dissapointing. That would mean that the entire universe started with your planet, meaning that you will probably always be the most advanced race. :(
    That would really take out that extra aspect of difficulty...

Though, it may disprove the 'big bang' theory. :laughing2:

13. leech10

leech10 New Member

I think the alien race that will came across in the recent video was more advanced than he was, he had just gotten the UFO, and the civilization he attacked already had colonies on other planets.

Maybe it is more like you won't find other civilizations in a higher level than what you are in.

If he had gone back to his home planet there might have been an alien UFO(s) there that he would have to attack to save his civilization.

14. FireMaker

FireMaker New Member

GDC video, Will says you will never be top of the food chain.

15. Martun

Martun New Member

FireMaker, I think Mr. Heat is talking more about technological advances rather than brute strength, and that you will still always be at the top.

Just thinking now, I vaugely remember hearing in one of the demos that other races will, not neccessarily be 'more technologically advaced', rather they may have 'different' technologies to yours (which would make sense) which may not be as powerful, but may derive a totally unique outcome/result would could make it seem more powerful.

Like I said, I can't remember where I heard that so don't hold me to it. This, I think though, would make the most sense.

Thoughts?

16. FireMaker

FireMaker New Member

I would hope theres someone more technologically advanced than my species.. it would be more fun, the underdog vs the ebil.

17. artistvrd

artistvrd SporeMasterArti

Yes, but like in simcity you can play (easy, medium, & hard) so maybe spore will be similar?

And I'm sure that the planets around you are close to you in phases, but some might not, that's the beauty of it :love:

18. Martun

Martun New Member

I don't know if there is a difficulty scaler, as the game 'learns' how you play. Obviously if you have created the weakest/slowest/dumbest creature possible, it's not going to pit you against the strongest/faster/most intelligent. It will probably pit you against evenly matched creatures. Even though some may be more advanced (some would have to be, otherwise the entire galaxy will be full of useless species that can't do anything!), the game won't make it impossible for you to advance/evolve.

In regards to other planets in your same solar system, there is going to be an average of four planets circling the same star(sun). The chances of you starting in a solar system that has two or more planets with life is highly unlikely (of course, though, still possible). I think the argument is this:
    When you start exploring planets with your UFO (or other races do), you will start exploring the planets in the same solar system, as you probably won't have 'light-speed' technologies at the start. Then, once you do have hyperspace technologies, there is approximately a 1:500,000* chance that they will visit your solar system, and an average of 1:2,000,000* chance of visiting your planet. (*On the first attempt)

It would be awsome if you were visited by an alien race while you are still in the early stages of the game, but the chances of it happening seem to slim to bet on. :(

19. artistvrd

artistvrd SporeMasterArti

That makes sense. When you advance more into the space phase, those odds will rapidly drop. But hey, wouldn't that be cool if you have bacteria floating around in a pool of water and big ole aliens stop by check out the planet! :cool:

20. FireMaker

FireMaker New Member

I want to the opportunity to be REALLY challanged with this game.

Huge monsters to run from, and then gang up on. But later on I want a civilization that I can eventually conquer. And perhaps a space faring rival.

Of course, I also want to be able to make powerful allies as well.