Spore Spore's Online Functions

Discussion in 'General Gaming Talk' started by Lainehart, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Lainehart

Lainehart New Member

Spore's Online Functions

Since Spore gets most of its single player world data from other players connected to the internet, what happens to those people who are unable to connect at one time or another? Can they still play? Are there preloaded creatures that can be put into the gameworld?

2. FireMaker

FireMaker New Member

Creature file sizes are so small (about 1kb) that thousands can be put on one CD. When the game ships, players without internet will not have to worry as their game will come with thousands upon thousands of preloaded creatures and vehicles/buildings.

You shouldn't be able to tell that your not connected to the net :p

3. Lainehart

Lainehart New Member

lolz was just curious :p
    thanks for clearing that up... yeah the 1-3kb creature filesizes is amazing, agreed? Considering that's all their visual AND intellectual data

4. artistvrd

artistvrd SporeMasterArti

firemaker is absolutely right, the game itself comes with a massive universe already with it, so you won't be bored, unless you have 67 straight years willing to play spore, which I might.... but who knows.

And two thumbs up for maxis for making the files much smaller!!
    :hug: <<hugging maxis

5. FireMaker

FireMaker New Member

Well.. the reason that the files are so small, is that there are no graphics in the files.

All that is in them is the code that is used to generate the creatures and objects. Its basically the DNA of the creature, not any specific creature itself.

I think its really cool :) buuut.. I'm a computer freak.

6. artistvrd

that's very interesting. so the DNA is the file? wow, that's amazing.

7. Lainehart

Lainehart New Member

That IS cool.
    So all the structural, behavioural and kinetic data is stored in the one file, which the game interprets and then out of that it generates your stored creature.

Hang on, what if you could edit the file? Like if your creature's code defines its skin texture as having a bump level of 10 (let's just say it's 1-10 and 10 is the maximum the editor will give you), you could then substitute that 10 for a 20, then when you start the game you've got a creature with some massively bumpy skin.

Better yet, if you had a finished creature you could copy all the data from its file and paste it into the file of a brand new creature still in the cell stage... imagine having Mr. Big Eight-Legged Razor Claw Universe Dominator fighting it out in the primordial ooze!

Anyway enough from me

8. FireMaker

FireMaker New Member

And thus you have hard-coded genetic engineering :p

lol.. Why not just use the editors? heh.

9. Hazath

Hazath New Member

10. FireMaker

FireMaker New Member

Wow.. way to go Hazath.. that actually didnt answer the question. If you can change it in the editor, why do it in the hard code?

11. kingofthenet

kingofthenet New Member

Because you can't change the max limit in the editor? as Lainehart wrote:

Lainehart actually meant that he could increase the maximum limit so he can have his creature designed exactly as he wanted and not be limited with the scales the default editor gives.

I doubt hardcode editing is a good thing, since i know the Will Wright will you give you the maximum optimization he can without blowing your graphics card.

Heat

12. leech10

leech10 New Member

I'm not so sure about that, 1, it may crash the game or cause a problem with your ceature, or 2, the file will be in some code that only the game can understand.

13. FireMaker

FireMaker New Member

Right.. usually games done come with source code intact. Its usually compiled into machine language or an assembly language, which is OBSURDLY hard for a human to understand.

14. Lainehart

Lainehart New Member

lol well it really was just wishful thinking but thanks for arguing my point :)
    On the other hand, rather than editing the creature file, one could mod the editor! Spore mods would rock!

hehe I'm sure the Spore team is making sure the editor is as flexible and powerful as any of us will ever need it to be.

15. artistvrd

yes, will has made the sims 2 with interesting specs and graphic capabilities, but times are changing. I agree with laine and firemaker though, makes much sense to me. But at the same time, heat's comment makes sense, so i don't know..