What needs to be done in my opinion.

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by muffin-tacos, Dec 3, 2007.

1. muffin-tacos

muffin-tacos Queen of Xeex

What needs to be done in my opinion.

First of all I have a couple of questions...

What's the new Featured box supposed to show at the top? Is it the newest entries? In that case, it's not working properly because I saw a chapter of Widbode on there that was hardly new. Besides, I thought the What's New box was supposed to show that? OK, I'm confused....

These are my views on the new layout -- both in the library and on the forums -- and I'm going to be completely honest here. sorry if some of it seems harsh.

The Library:
    I LOVE the new search box -- it's really great! My only wish is that it switches places with the Calendar. Don't get me wrong, I like the calendar even if I never use it. It's nice to look at and that way I know what date it is. :rolleyes:

I like the way the What's New box has been moved up -- I don't think people noticed it very much before.

I don't like the long list of names that are under the genres. It makes the library look crowded and I don't see the point in having it with the new search box around... I'd rather that you took away the long list and put an option of "Author" in the search box, so that people can just easily search for the author that way. Also, that way, people will use the search box more, other wise I feel it could easily be ignored.

I don't like the Action/Adventure genre. How about having Action and Adventure in their own separate genres? I was thinking of posting Widbode in Adventure before, but I didn't because I don't think Widbode has got a lot to do with action at all... When people use action as a genre, I think of "Die Hard" action -- explosions and stuff.

I don't get the Athletics genre either... Sorry but why would anyone want to write a story in an athletics genre? I mean, who would read it?

And what do I think of the new "Random chapters" box on the side there? Err... It's iffy. :ermm:

The site:
    I don't like the new header and the millions of spaces that follows it. Sure the "Good Afternoon, muffin-tacos" is grand and everything, but I just don't like it. I don't like the Entertainment and whatsit links that are above it either. I've clicked on some of them and I have no idea what they're supposed to do. In my opinion, they just make the header and the site look tacky.

The blue boarders are too much of this blue -- they start to hurt my eyes after a while. Can we please make the colour a little less.... painful to look at? I have to admit I changed my default skin on here back to the old one mainly because of that and the ignored Library and gallery links(see below).

I'm sorry, but I think the snowflake business over the header looks tacky.

And most of all, I don't like the way the Gallery and the Library are completely off the hot links up on the nav bar. I don't like having to search for the Gallery every time I want to look at pictures and I don't like the way the only links to the library are in the Sims 2 forum bits (which I hardly noticed amongst everything else) and in my signature. I mean, how many people will notice the library amongst all the 'How do I' forums and what not. No wonder more people don't visit the library more...

Also, I'm curious about this "Urban Online Entertainment" business. What was wrong with World Sims and Simsational? I think Urban Online Entertainment sounds too formal.

And that's about it for the moment.

2. muffin-tacos

I know that from "The Site" and downwards in the post above should really be in the site Feedback forum, but I'm sick of feeling ignored over there and starting two threads basically complaining about the same thing seemed silly to me.

3. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Just a quick FYI, the site feedback forum was closed recently. We moved to the project tools area for managing that.

This way you can provide site feedback, put up a "task" to do, report bugs, and request features :)

4. ManagerJosh

Muffin, could you post up a screenshot of the new urban style?

Load the page up, press ALT + Print Screen and then paste the contents into a paint editor. Save as a JPEG and then upload here.

5. Chris

Chris New Member

Most of your (very valid) complaints can be solved by choosing the "WorldSims Forums" skin in the bottom left hand corner of the page. I hope after all this negative feedback that it will be reset as the default skin rightly how it should be. We are, afterall, a Sims community.

Sorry to bring my disagreement onto the board Josh, but you didn't want to believe me when I said this would happen in private conversation! I'm only doing it to protect what is essentially your creation and stop you from ruining it, otherwise it's gonna crash and burn at this rate.

Do the right thing :)

6. muffin-tacos

Josh, I'll do that.

Chris, thanks for the tip. Ever since someone pointed out that you can change the skin to the WS one in the shoutbox, that's the skin I've been using. However, everytime I go out of the library, I get logged out and I have to see the big "Good afternoon, muffin-tacos!" and tacky snowflake thing all over again. Since the library is the place I like to visit a lot on here, then that happens to me A LOT.

7. muffin-tacos

Here's the picture, Josh.

Attached Files:

8. ManagerJosh

Muffin, what you are seeing is a result from using an incompatible browser. it's why that message is appearing at the top that your browser may be incompatible.

Upgrade to IE7 or FireFox 2.0 and you'll see a huge difference in the header for the Urban Style

9. muffin-tacos

Oooooh, no wonder why the snowflakes were looking so tacky.. :p

10. ManagerJosh

Alright. Library platform is generally stable. Addressing a few smaller issues due to moving to vBulletin 3.7. But for the most part, it's now a list of "what to do next" for the library.

11. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

I don't know Josh. The times I've tried it lately, it doesn't recognize me, won't remember me or post...

12. ManagerJosh

Depends where you login, that's the only way it will work.