Decent downloads

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by scarylodger, Dec 29, 2007.

1. scarylodger

scarylodger New Member

Decent downloads

Hi guys

Sorry if this has already been covered, I'm only just familiarising myself with this forum, but can anyone recommend some good Sims 2 downloads sites? Ones which won't naff up my computer.

I spent ages downloading from lots of sites for my Sims 1 game, only having to trawl through them later and delete them, as they really upset the game.

I need yet to install Sims 2 into my new comp (which I need to yet buy :D), but would like some nice downloads to go with it.

Ta :)

2. JohnEZ

JohnEZ The Mac Guy

3. scarylodger

scarylodger New Member

Thank you very much, that's just what I need. I had done a search (although somewhat feeble) and hadn't come up with much. But that's great, cheers.
    x

4. scarylodger

scarylodger New Member

Just to continue this a little bit here, and I know I'm going to come across as a little thick (get used to it :knockedout:), but with these 'ere downloads, where it says there's a "mesh", I take it you have to download that before you can download the "recolours". Am I right?

How all these beautiful downloads are created is a great mystery to me, they're such lovely graphics.
    x

5. JohnEZ

JohnEZ The Mac Guy

That's correct. The mesh is the "framework" if you will, over which the recolors are applied. :)

6. muffin-tacos

muffin-tacos Queen of Xeex

There's a thread I started over at the How Do I forums about Downloads that could help you out a lot. Some of those links helped me out immensely when I first started downloading. The thread is a sticky, by the way, so you'll find it at the top of the forum page. :)

7. scarylodger

scarylodger New Member

Hey muffin thanks for that, I'm sure that thread will come in very handy :D

8. Jakethedane

Jakethedane Man of the world

To cut it short, there are some essential sites you need. One, Modthesims, is a members page, and its free to sign up. Takes 2 minutes, and you wont regret it. The site literally has tons of cool stuff, invluding houses from some of the best in the business. I swear some of them HAS to be professional architects.

Also, check out Thesimsresource

For some of the best work Ive ever seen, check out www.reflexsims.de
    The stuff they have is mindblowing.

What else do we have? Oh yes, try www.11dots.com. Not so big, but has some cool stuff.

www.4eversimfantasy.net/ is also really cool. I have almost everything theyve done.

For building tips, try mikeinside. You can also find more tips to build some whacky houses on modthesims.

Enjoy!

9. Judhudson

Judhudson is a Hi-Tech Redneck

Oh yeah...and if you need any tutorials to create or programs to modify the game, check out this guy's site - http://www.simprograms.com ;)

I heard it is really great and it's got the approval of 9 out of 10 llamas. Unforunately the 10th one was hit by a truck. Should of listened to it's parents when they said look both ways before you cross. :D

10. scarylodger

scarylodger New Member

Oooh so many YAY :hypnotized::spin::bouncy::bunny::hyper: must get downloading.

So I presume that the amount of downloads you can have comes down to how fab your computer is, rather than have anything to do with the game itself.
    I think my new computer is going to have to be something from NASA. Hubby and I went to the comp shop yesterday but they were shut :cry:. I could only peer longingly through the window.

Oh I never trust a llama jud :glasses:
    x

11. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

Scary--the amount of downloads your comptuer can handle is different for everyone's PC, depending on things like RAM, processor speed, and graphic card. It also depends on something called polys. If you don't have a computer with a good graphic card and have a lot of high poly content, you will notice slowdowns and weird morphing in the game.

Since I think I like downloading more than I do actually playing the game sometimes, my Downloads Folder is always a full mess. If you have any Nightlife or a later EP, you can sort your downloads into subfolders. I have started seperating my downloads by month, and then cleaning out the older stuff when I notice major slowdowns. Even so, it takes almost 10 minutes for the game to load, and I have a pretty good computer. :rolleyes: I can't help it. . . I used to have subscriptions to TSR and WDS, and I can't get myself to part with my favorite files since I paid for them.

12. scarylodger

scarylodger New Member

So putting downloads into sub folders will still work in the game then?
    Today my husband bought me a new comp (well, it's being put together) so Sims should work like a dream. Am SO excited.

I've downloaded quite a few bits and pieces from the sites recommended on here, the main problem is having to stop! There's so much lovely stuff out there. I'm saving it all to disc, along with the pictures of what the files contain, so I can pick and choose from them whenever I like.

I particularly like Spiffy Sims, there's great things on there.
    x

13. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

We have a few things here as well in our new system. Our older system has more and we're slowly working on moving stuff over :)

http://uoem.com/sims/downloads

14. scarylodger

scarylodger New Member

Oooh more! Woohoo!
    x

15. simsguy

simsguy New Member

I plan on buying a flash drive that is like 2 GB (they're less than $20 at Wal-Mart) and creating different folders for it. Like on can be wallpaper, one can be flooring, ect.

Anyways, if you do that, you will have the items and stuff without taking up space on the pc (until you put the Sims 2 on it that is) and you'll also have a backup if the items somehow get deleted off the pc.

16. muffin-tacos

I fail to see how that will work, Simsguy. Your downloads need to be in the Downloads folder for them to appear in your game. Do you mean that you'll be copying your downloads from your USB-stick to your computer every time you're going to play? Sounds like a waste of time to me. :rolleyes:

17. simsguy

simsguy New Member

Not at all. I meant the downloads on the flashdrive would be for backup. Like I lost my downloads after my computer crashed and now I have to go back and find them all again on websites. I don't even remember what all I had downloaded, but I spent almost a week looking through the websites for the ones I like. If I had put them on a flashdrive, I'd still have all my downloads that I can just copy into the right folders after installing the game again.

18. muffin-tacos

Oh right, you mean to have it like a back-up of your downloads? I misunderstood the whole thing. :rolleyes: That's a great idea though. Maybe I should start doing that. If all my downloads will fit onto my USB stick, that is.

Thanks for the tip. :)

19. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

I am so trying not to download anything except hair, a couple of nice houses, and some genetics. my downloads file before I had to reinstall everything was so huge it took forever to load. :eek: but there sure are a lot of talented people out there. Thank goodness for modthesims2!

20. muffin-tacos

Me concur! Downloading hair is addictive. Especially Raon sims hair...