Muffin's back with more computer questions! Say yay, everybody!

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by muffin-tacos, Feb 1, 2008.

1. muffin-tacos

muffin-tacos Queen of Xeex

Muffin's back with more computer questions! Say yay, everybody!

Everybody: yay!!

OK, silly moment over... :rolleyes: :D

*ahem*

Does anyone know if you can transport the whole Sims 2 folder from one computer to the other using a USB stick so that you get all your saved games, sims and neighbourhoods over onto the other computer? In that case, do you think it's best to do this before or after you install TS2?

Why I'm asking this is because I've grown very attatched to my sims (especially the ones I use in my stories) and I'd like to have them (and the houses they live in) over on my new computer. So, in case I wasn't quite clear before, do you think that I would be able to copy my Sims 2 folder (My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2 ... you know the deal ;)) over to another computer -- and keep my old sims and what not -- and the game will run smoothly?

2. Judhudson

Judhudson is a Hi-Tech Redneck

Yes, that is possible, but make sure the game is installed first on the other computer before you do the swap!

3. muffin-tacos

Thanks, Jud. :) Do you think I should install ALL the EPs or just the base game before the swap?

4. Judhudson

Judhudson is a Hi-Tech Redneck

I think it depends. I would recommend installing all of the packs that you have on your old computer first then replace your files.

5. Sacharissa

Sacharissa New Member

Judhudson is correct - I would install all the Ps first, and then swap out the Sims2 Document folder. I have done this many times and never had a problem, although just in case, I save the original Sims2 Document folder to the desktop or someplace, just in case you run into problems....

6. muffin-tacos

OK, thanks guys. The only problem is I have NL, OFB and H&M installed on the other computer and I'm going to be adding Uni to the list on the new one... Do you think I should attempt to install the EPs out of order so that I can do the swap without risking taking over any Uni business? But then the game might not work because I didn't install the EPs in the right order? :confused:

7. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

If you have sims saved that you want to keep you need to do the following:

1. Backup the entire Sims 2 folder from My Documents to a safe location and copy it to your portable drive. (That's one heck of a USB stick you've got, or maybe you don't have as many sims as I do. Mine would never fit, which is why I bought an external hard drive.)

2. Install Sims and the same EP's you've currently got.

3. Copy your sims 2 folder to the new location, overwriting the current Sims 2 folder in My documents.

4. Play the game to make sure you still have your sims. Exit.

5. Install anything new, university in your case.

Your sims WILL NOT work if you install different EPs than the ones you have now, initially. And they must be in place when you install a new EP in order for them to be upgraded. Keep the backup copy in case something doesn't work.

Installing out of order isn't optimal but it's your only option if you want to keep your present sims.

Hope that helps.

8. MurderScene.Doll

MurderScene.Doll Tamara </3

yea very important, make sure you install Uni AFTER you do the installation of your eps and the swap of folders, trust me i did it once.

not pretty :O

9. muffin-tacos

Thanks for the step by step description, SBW! That's going to come in handy. I don't have that many sims in my game, but I don't think the whole folder is going to fit onto my USB stick (4 GB), so I'm thinking about chopping it -- like take the folders one by one and stick 'em on the new computer. Think that will work?

Now that I think about it, I think we have an external hardrive lying around somewhere that I could use if all else fails. :eek:

Just for the record, what happens if you DON'T follow the steps SBW so kindly posted? Other than it's not pretty... Won't the game start or...? (What, I wonna know! :rolleyes:)

10. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

SBW is right.

I would go further and say that when you install the game on the new computer try to install each component in the same order as you did on the original computer.

Each expansion pack makes changes to the game's saved files. (eg Nightlife added chemistry; OFB added skilling badges; Seasons added temperature .... ) If the game installation does not have the necessary files to read the game saved files, the game will fail to start and run properly.

Transferring the user files from one PC to another folder by folder is not a problem. The game won't make any fuss over it. I would try to avoid splitting the contents of the Neighborhoods folder though ... as that contains all the actual sims and their homes and memories. Unless your neighborhoods are truly massive you should be able to fit them onto a 4GB memory stick. If you can't get all the the Neighborhoods folder on in one piece then break it down by its subfolders ... G001, N001, N002, etc. each of those contains a neighborhood and all its associated sub-neighborhoods such as colleges, downtowns, shopping districts and vacation resorts ... you really don't wanna separate those if you can avoid it :rolleyes: )

However you might wanna try an experimental plan B ...

1. Make a back up copy of you saved games and name it Pre-Uni
    2. Install Uni on your old computer - you saved games are now configured for University ... assuming the installation worked.
    3. Now install the game on you new puter in the order the EPs were released:
      • Base Game
      • University
      • Nightlife
      • OFB
      • H&M
    4. Now transfer your saved games ... it should work to perfection ... but if it doesn't, you still have your original "Pre-Uni" saved folder to fall back on ... only you would need to uninstall the game and all EP's and start over with SBW's schema.