keeping it big or simple?

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by sayaka05, Feb 10, 2008.

1. sayaka05

sayaka05 New Member

keeping it big or simple?

i've been building lots of houses on my sims2 lately.
    but i noticed the fact that i am only capable of building big houses (20K+). i mean, i always get the idea of "what if my sims need this?" so i have no choice but to enlarge the house.

there's nothing wrong with building big houses, but i must admit, sometimes it can become a pain in the A** to build & furnish. it's also hard to have a variety in the designing option, too, in various houses.

so i ask you guys this question: which do you find it more interesting/ less hassle to build; big mansions or simple, little houses? i could also use a few building\designing tips too.

2. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

Unfortunately I've always leaned more towards the massive lots. but every now and again I will build something in the medium range too.

3. scarylodger

scarylodger New Member

I tend to end up building massive houses, the bigger the better :)

4. hugzncuddles

hugzncuddles New Member

I have created starter homes that are simple, functional and bare/minimal in terms of detail. My sims start in those, then when they have saved enough money to buy a main home I move them out. My main homes are medium to large, with a big enough garden to contain a pool, pond, gardening area and outdoor patio. I tend to use the same 2 main house layouts, but change the decoration for different families.

All my homes are single storey at the moment - I just hate the stairs getting in the way of my vision in the house. I'm sure I took some screenshots of the layouts but I just can't find them - I'll check on my other hard disk later and upload them if I find them. :)

5. sayaka05

sayaka05 New Member

so i'm not the only one who builds big houses. :eek:

i actually LOVE building multi-story houses- makes sim houses more 'real' and elegant.

6. Ruthie_Faye

Ruthie_Faye New Member

Has anyone built a house with an elevator in it? maybe multiple stories with maybe both an elevator and stairs? How did it work for you? I haven't put an elevator in anything yet.

Ruth

7. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

I've used the elevator a few times and didn't see no problems with it.

8. scarylodger

scarylodger New Member

Which expansion has an elevator in it? I don't have one yet. And is there an expansion with the transporter, like in Sims 1? They were so cool.
    x

9. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Elevators are in Open For Business.

:D

10. Ruthie_Faye

Ruthie_Faye New Member

I think it was OFB that had the elevator. I'm not positive but I think that's right.

Ruthie

11. scarylodger

scarylodger New Member

Okay thanks. That expansion will have to move into my Amazon shopping basket I think.
    x

12. k8mc

k8mc luvvly jubbly

I hardly ever build on anything BUT the smallest lots. I find there just isn't enough stuff to fill up a big house, so whenever I DO build a big house, it usually ends up having about 10 living rooms, cos I can't think of anything better to do. Plus the bills are generally smaller on smaller lots. I have one house that had 7 sims living there at one point. It was 3x2, had 2 floors and there was still enough room for for a decent-sized pool in the back garden. Remember, you don't have to build out, you can build up!:D

13. scarylodger

scarylodger New Member

I like to make weird houses, like converted oil rigs and stuff. My next one is going to be an underground bomb shelter type thing, where a scruffy old squatter is going to live. With lots of cats :D

14. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

Heh. I like your style.

Lately I've been getting into small houses. For one thing it doesn't take my sims ten years to get to the mailbox. For another, it's just nice and cozy.

But naturally if you have more kids you need more rooms and my houses tend to grow.

But I really prefer small and cute. I wish the game had smaller lots, actually. I know some hacks allow that but I try to play with a minimum of those.

15. sayaka05

sayaka05 New Member

it's like the more exp's i have, the bigger my houses get.
    i guess a house just can't be big enough for all the stuff you can place in a house.

my next challenge should be to build a SMALLER house.
    just keeping it cute and simple.

hey, who knows, it could be fun.:D

16. muffin-tacos

muffin-tacos Queen of Xeex

I like small, cozy houses. It's easier to find everything in the house (once I made a house that was so big, that I couldn't find the kitchen :eek:) and it doesn't take for ever for my sim to get from one end to the other. Only bad thing that comes with small houses is, they always get so cramped when the family starts getting bigger and in need of more things. That's when having a big garden comes in handy LOL!

17. sayaka05

sayaka05 New Member

my point exactly.
    my family just gets biger and bigger.

but having a garden really does help.
    and a nice pond, too. keeps my sims occupied and it's nice for the budget, too.:eek:

18. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

I like big houses. I have tried smaller ones, but I always end up adding on to them or rearranging things and then putting on another story. The smallest house I have is the Maxis townhouse (3 stories) which I've redesigned in several configurations (and turned into Victorian row houses). But I can't stand having kids in the family in that house. I have to go to the bigger ones once there are any kids around.

19. scarylodger

scarylodger New Member

I do find it quite impossible to keep them small. They just seem to grow and sprawl as build them. And they often end up in bizzare shapes too :D
    x

20. lewdini

lewdini Moderate Sith Lord

I like to keep my houses small and slowly expand them as the family gets bigger and richer.