Troubleshooting to all computer whizzes

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by suitemichelle, Mar 15, 2008.

1. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

to all computer whizzes

free time was playing no problem, (very few downloads)... but now game is freezing without loading (3 tries this am)

presario 6031 cl pentium 4cpu 2.00 GHz 1.99 GHz, 512 mb of ram and video card adequate.... new video card which is adequate

so...any thoughts to why it won't load?

2. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Michelle, where in the loading stage is the freezing occurring? Have you tried updating the driver for the graphics card. If the freezing occurs on a neighbourhood can you load any of the hoods?

3. suitemichelle

freezes before I even get that far... usually around the logo bursting in to color. sometimes the sound will continue for a while sometimes not. doesn't seem to matter if I start from the shortcut or main catalog

sorry about repeating myself in the last message.

will see in the drivers need to be updated. I assumed that since I just installed the card that they would be.

4. suitemichelle

changing sound accelerator

Hey Mirelly checked-video card drivers-up to date however under trouble shooting from the game it suggested running DXDIAG on the sound tab to check the sound drivers. The sound accelerator was set to full, switched it to standard and the game ran fine. this may work for other folks too.

5. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Sounds like it was a lack of CPU power.

6. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

The cpu sounds more than adequate if it's a hyperthreaded cpu(from the look of it). you've done the usual by removing the groups cache and accessories cache too?

7. suitemichelle

it's not for nothing my husband calls me a techno-nerd...

please explain so this old lady can understand

8. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Groups.cache and its pals are in the directory:

My Documents
    > EA Games
    >> The Sims 2

It's OK to delete the following:

groups.cache
    ContentRegistry
    cigen.package
    Accessory.cache

Good luck ...

9. Leticron

Leticron New Member

In case that matter isn't solved yet:
    go to \Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\
    there you'll find several .cache files which sometimes get corrupted and cause unwanted behavior.
    just delete them (they get re-created anyways, so no worries ;)

-le

10. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

You'll find the .cache files under MyDocuments/EA Games/The Sims 2. They are not in folders and people have found that if they can't load the game, that deleting them makes things start to work again.