Concerned about needing a new PC?

Discussion in 'The Sims 3' started by ManagerJosh, Mar 20, 2008.

1. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Concerned about needing a new PC?

Anybody worried they need a brand new PC because of The Sims 3? There's no official system requirements out yet for The Sims 3, but looking at how the system requirements literally doubled for The Sims 2, one couldn't help wondering if it will happen to Sims 3 :D

2. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Good point, Josh. I wonder how long people consider a computer should last?

My own feeling is that if you use a PC (or laptop) for games then a replacement or major upgrade (motherboard, cpu, gpu and ram) should be aimed at least every 4 years, if not more often.

We can only guess at the possible requirements for TS3, but it would seem reasonable to assume that 2GB of RAM will be a minimum requirement.

I seen, elsewhere, speculation that EA will avoid going with Directx 10, which seems reasonable to me, The Sims franchise is not about cinematic quality, and for every player with a geek-machine so powerful it needs its own power station there are a hundred kids using budget machines with integrated graphics ... people for whom the small print on the side of the box might as well be Will Wright's medical history.

Over on the UK EA Forums there are already nerdy 19-year olds complaining that the TS3 screenies don't look awesome enough and that they want sharper smarter graphics.

Must admit to being perplexed by people sometimes ... :rolleyes:

3. Judhudson

Judhudson is a Hi-Tech Redneck

Yep....my 5 year old PC just won't cut it anymore. Hopefully I can build one that will last another 5 years. :)

4. JohnEZ

JohnEZ The Mac Guy

None of the computers in my house are gonna cut it--I'm going to have to buy a new Mac and dual boot Vista on it... :rolleyes:

...and since the graphics card in an iMac isn't upgradeable, I'm either going to have to wait until they unveil preliminary system specs to make sure a 256MB Graphics Card is enough... OR shell out $2300 for a MacPro. :eek:

Oh what I do for my simmies. :)

5. woohoosimz2

woohoosimz2 Woohoo Simz 3

New Computer

I'll most likely need a new computer when it comes out. But thats ok. I was going to get a new laptop round about march 2009 anyway. Either an ASUS Gaming Laptop or an Alienware Gaming Laptop. That way i'll get the most out of it instead of having to get a new graphics card right after buying a new computer.

6. MurderScene.Doll

MurderScene.Doll Tamara </3

i don't think my laptop is gonna cut it, it is brandnew and still kinda laggy on the sims 2 :O. but by 2009 i should hopefully get a desktop that my brother is buying custom made for games (i convinced him he needed one for his univeristy course just so i could use it for the sims 3 :D), i just hope he will let me use it...

btw why do so many people have laptops ??? i geuss convenience :)

7. ManagerJosh

Convinence is one thing, but mainly because laptops tend to be a bit more versatile in function. You could use it in the office. You could take it somewhere to do work. It isn't constrained to the home or office space like a desktop. You can go anywhere and do anything, to a certain extent.

8. MurderScene.Doll

MurderScene.Doll Tamara </3

yea that's why i got mine, so i could take it to school and on holidays.

but i heard they are harder to upgrade?

i don't know im not a computer genious, the only reason my computer is running is because of my brother:D

9. ManagerJosh

Laptops are pretty much limited in your upgrades. The most currently you can upgrade are batteries, lcd panel, hard drives, memory, and if you are lucky, the processor.

10. mzz890

mzz890 New Member

I won't mind upgrading. This laptop does the job, but thats it. No singing dancing features here. But, for -400 in 07, I have 0 complaints.

Just use my other halfs PC :D

11. sayaka05

sayaka05 New Member

well, in the worst case scenario, i might have to get another computer...

i guess i'll just have to wait until EA releases system requirements. hopefulle, HOPEFULLY i can stick with my old one i have right now.
    :D

12. Ruthie_Faye

Ruthie_Faye New Member

Well I'll probably have to upgrade memory and maybe a new video card but hopefully that's about it.

Ruth

13. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

From what I've seen Sims3 is not much more graphics intensive than Sims2, in fact is anything really that different from Sims2?

14. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

From what I've heard, they're going to try to keep TS3 specs so that they don't have to have a TS3 and a separate "low level" similar to the Sim Stories. But I think I'll wait to believe it until I actually see the specs.

15. djrules5454

djrules5454 Wiivolutionary

It doesn't look that much better than TS2, but the changes I did notice were primarily subtler details and more functionality. It should require a monster machine, unless EA used a similar method to the way the data for Spore is going to be stored. In that case, it may require only more RAM and a better video card.