What's New - 2008?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jupitershana, Apr 1, 2008.

1. jupitershana

jupitershana Kitty Fanatic!

What's New - 2008?

We need to revive one of our old favorite threads, and since the older one died off, I'm starting a new one. This is a place to just let us know what you're up to during the day; need a place to rant about that annoying little brother or rave about that test you just passed, than this is it! Anything goes here!

So I ask you, what's new?

2. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

Not much new for me other than work,sleep,watch dvd's and slip away into whatever game I'm playing at the time! Hopefully next week I'll be indulged in Portal or Half-Life2 part 2.

3. babewithbrains_14

babewithbrains_14 The Offtopic Queen!!!

I am currently sat in Media and I'm supposed to be researching Time Warner films from the past 3 years.
    However, I despise this lesson - and majorly the teacher, who is rubbish - so I'm rebelling. Again.

On the plus side, I break up from college for 2 weeks on Friday! :D
    Oh, and btw. For some strange reason I can't get on Writer's Block anymore. :s

4. sailorchiiavalon

sailorchiiavalon Addicted to Sims 2!

I've got a job interview on Friday.

5. MegRen

MegRen New Member

Trying to get progress reports done to go home in report cards tomorrow. :(

6. jupitershana

Good luck with the job interview sailorchiiavalon! Let us know how it goes!

Meg, what ages do you teach again? Good luck with those progress reports!

What's new with me? I'm house/dog sitting for my parents while they are in the Caribbean on a lovely cruise! Makes me miss our honeymoon, can't wait to go on another cruise! Anyway, it's not too bad, but something about staying by myself in a large house kind of freaks me out at night (yes, even at age 27!).

Hubby has to stay at home to watch our cats and he's got a couple interviews this week so it doesn't work out for him to come the extra 30 minutes north for just a few hours a day. Wish him luck, he's interviewing with South St. Paul police tonight and it's a department he would LOVE to get into. They are interviewing 50 of the 80 applicants though and this is the first interview, so he's got a ways to go before he's hired on. We're really crossing our fingers and toes tight on this one.

On Saturday he's got an interview with the State Patrol! But that one might end up being rescheduled; we don't know yet. If he gets in with the State Patrol he'll be at a boot camp Jan-March (12 weeks) and then who knows where he'll be assigned, could be anywhere in the State. He is able to designate areas he would prefer though and we're looking at moving up towards Duluth area! We're crazy; we would have about a 2 weeks notice to where he would be assigned before he would have to be living in the area. I could join later after we get our apartment all ready to go (we have to give 2 months notice!), but after 12 weeks of not seeing my hubby while he's at boot camp I'll probably be itching to join him!

It's kind of an exciting time in our lives right now, trying to figure out where we're going to be living and all that! Kind of fun to think about changing up our entire lives to move up to Duluth!

7. sailorchiiavalon

Thank you Shana.

What ages do you teach Meg? I'm doing the teacher training degree in the UK at primary level (5-11 years) and I'm in my third year. It is very tiring!

8. hugzncuddles

hugzncuddles New Member

Good luck with the job interview, sailor. I did my teacher training degree (B.Ed Primary Hons) a long time ago (eek now I feel old - I'm not a teacher anymore by the way). I know that the degree courses have changed now in terms of length, I'm assuming yours is a 3 year course? Which age are you hoping to teach? I did Foundation Stage (3 - 5 years) for almost 10 years.

Meg, gotta love progress reports. :p Hope you don't have too many more left to do.

Shana, tell hubby I wish him luck with the interviews. I hope he gets the job that you both want, and in the area that you're hoping for. It all sounds hectic too if you have to move at short notice, but very exciting. And I know what you mean about sleeping alone in a house (though my house isn't that big) - when my fiance is on his night shift cycles, I have to check every room in the house to make sure it's clear. Not as bad as I used to be - before my fiance moved in, I had a habit of even checking in the wardrobes too. :eek:

Well, after 5 and a half weeks off work following my op, I went to work this morning for my first day back. Except there was nobody there. Car park was empty, and I caught the caretaker and asked if the training days (today and tomorrow) were at another venue or something. He told me that they cancelled them in favour of twilights after work later on (which won't involve me anyway :p ) so we don't go back until Monday. Haha! Not complaining about 2 more days holiday. ;)

Finally, you wouldn't believe how many typos I've fixed already in this post. My typing is seriously bad. Awful. I tried touch typing last year but gave up after a few weeks. I've decided to try again and this time I'm not giving up. I found this online touch typing course to be just at my level for now, LOL. ;)

(And by the way, Shana I saw your typing speed on the facebook test - too cool! I also saw Josh's result this morning too - :eek: *falls over, alive* )

9. sailorchiiavalon

I'm doing the B.Ed Primary Hons at the moment too and it's a four year course. I want to teach Year 3 or Year 4.

Good luck to your husband Shana with the jobs.

I've had a job interview today too (last minute) and I just remembered I'm going London in May lol.

Also I started playing Sims 2 again this year after not touching it for ages.

10. hugzncuddles

hugzncuddles New Member

Sailor, wow didn't know they still offered the 4 yr B.Ed Primary Hons. Mine was the 4 yr course too. What's weird is that my Science lecturer who was Head of Science there actually was the Lead Ofsted Inspector whose team came to my school around 9 years after I graduated. Oh yep, ya gotta love Ofsted, hehe. Year 3 and 4 is a nice age to teach; I hope you get the age you want. :)

11. muffin-tacos

muffin-tacos Queen of Xeex

I got my braises off yesterday!! :slaphappy: :slaphappy: I'm really happy about it, in case you didn't notice the smilies. :D

12. jupitershana

WOOHOO!!!! I remember being so excited to get my braces off! Way to go Muffin! Doesn't it feel weird! All...smooth, and kind of slimey and stuff? I remember my mouth feeling so odd after having my braces on for 2 years.

13. MegRen

MegRen New Member

I'm a speech therapist in an elementary school, so I've got kids age 3 to 5th grade. I spent 3 hours on the progress reports at home last night while watching Moment of Truth, American Idol, and Top Chef. Finally got them done this morning. I just have to make sure I get them passed out to all the teachers! Now I can relax a little.

Oh wait, I can't, because I'm moving in a week and I have to pack!! AGH!!! But really, I'm excited about moving. My very own place, and no more cats (no offense to cat lovers, but 5 is really hard to deal with)!

Muffin - Congrats on getting your braces off.

14. hugzncuddles

hugzncuddles New Member

Muffin, congrats on getting the braces off. I've never had braces (wish I had done instead of being stubborn when I was a teen, lol), but I'm sure the end result is worth all the discomfort, right?

Meg, very cool that you're a speech therapist. Very important that children get the right support in their early years with speech and language, and the work you do is so important.

15. muffin-tacos

muffin-tacos Queen of Xeex

Yep, the result was very much worth the discomfort. :) LOL, Shana, I know exactly what you mean about the smooth and slimey-ness. I was walking around feeling my teeth with my tongue all day yesterday. There's something really satisfactory in feeling the smooth, slimey, straightness of my teeth now. (I'm doing it now again! :D)

16. jupitershana

Ahh! I missed Top Chef last night! Since I'm house sitting my parents don't have cable and I didn't get to watch it...thank goodness it's rebroadcast like every night for a week after the show, I'll catch it Sunday when I'm finally back at home.

And American Idol....soooo addicted. I think I'm going to start a new thread about it!

17. alliekat

alliekat Insert quirky comment

Hi All. It's been a while I know. Well, what's new is we've just got home from our honeymoon cruising the South Pacific. Currently the only pics I have are on my Facebook page (not that many though).

Have a look if you like http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=633382841

If you wish to add me, that's fine, but I only add people I actually know rather than just random people, so let me know who you are beforehand please.

Anyway, back to the honeymoon. We had an awesome time, visited 3 islands in Vanuatu and 1 in New Caledonia. There were a couple of tours to do on the islands, so we visited an awesome waterfall and did some snorkelling on the reef in Vila. I'm spewing we don't have a waterproof digital camera as there were some fabulous underwater shots to take.

We drank way to much while on the boat and I was very successful in making a complete fool of myself a couple of times :D.

I am supposed to be going back to work tomorrow, but I took a couple of days off to completely recover and get some work done on assignments that were due while I was away. I really should be doing that now, but I've done about 5 hrs straight and I needed a break!!

So, how's everyone been? I see Babe is back, welcome back. And Hugz too. Yay :D!

I've been on here, but mainly lurking. Too caught up in assignments lately. That's my reason if I'm ever not here for a while. If I let myself, I can really procrastinate on WorldSims. Wonder why ;)?

18. jupitershana

Your honeymoon sounds just wonderful Alliekat! I bet you fully enjoyed every minute of it!

What's new with me...it was a HORRIBLE weekend. I was house sitting/dog sitting for my parents until Sunday. On Saturday I woke up to their 14 year old dog (had her since I was 13) throwing up everywhere. She was lethargic and loosing her balance. She was refusing to eat or drink.

Around 3:00 I was sitting on the floor with her and she started to fall to one side, I would right her back up, and she would fall again. I carried her upstairs (she's a little thing) to Brandon and woke him up (he works nights) in a panic saying something was really wrong with Cinders. She then started seizing. Brandon, known to have panic attacks, promptly has one because I just woke him up out of a dead sleep with a dog who is obviously NOT doing well, and we all love this little dog to death. So he can't breathe, his heart is racing and he tells me to call 911 for him. So I do, they come out, dog is still seizing.

Luckily Brandon's panic attack died off pretty quick and paramedics cleared him and left around 3:45pm. Cinders has now stopped seizing but now no longer has any control over her body, she's completely limp and unable to move. My parents called right about then since they were back in Florida now and off the cruise ship. I tell my mom what's going on and she immediately starts crying...again, this is our baby of the family, not just a dog. We end up bringing her to the emergency vet where my aunt (mom's sister) meets us. Cinders wasn't improving and Vet thinks she had a stroke and she has aspirations in her lung and massive heart damage. She likely wouldn't have made it through the night.

We have the Vet call my parents, they needed to make the call. We get on the phone with my parents, I'm sobbing, mom's sobbing, aunt was sobbing, dad was crying, Brandon was crying too. We decided that we had to put her down to make sure she wasn't in pain. For my parents not to be there was the hardest thing for us to do. I held her all wrapped up in her blanket that she's had since we brought her home 14 years ago while they put her to sleep. We brought her home and stayed at the house until my parents were able to get home today at 3:00 when lots more crying began.

My parents are heartbroken, I feel terrible that it happened while we were watching her, but it was obviously her time and we made the right choice. It came on so sudden, just the day before she was running around and chasing our cats and playing with her toys.

*sigh* sorry everyone, I really needed to vent that out. I'm so incredibly torn up about it, it was a real sh**ty weekend.

RIP Cinders, 3/8/1994 - 4/6/2008

Attached Files:

19. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

It's so hard to lose a pet (such an inadequate word). And just like us, I know they want to have someone they know there at the end. So you did good.

we've semi adopted a half wild cat... renamed her Squeakers. If you could hear her you'd understand. She went into heat for the first time a 3-4 weeks ago (we thought) and came to the door all beat up (the 3 neighborhood toms are twice as big as she is if not more) so Ray took her to the vet and got her rabies shot, leukemia shot, ears de-mited, flea drops, blood work. she set us back $500 bucks about, so I guess she's our cat now. any how took her in to be spade Saturday and vet calls and says she's a lot farther along that 3-4 weeks, so it cost extra. so $250 later she got a 2 plus inch incision site on her belly, is being kept indoors for a week. Is real mellow on the feline equivalent of vicadan. Got to go get her a cat license now. At least that will be free since she's spade.

Concurrently I started having this major toothache and was sure I had a nerve or something exposed and extra strength anything wasn't keeping up with the ache. I called in sick and went to the dentist this morning. The good news Dr. doesn't think that anything is wrong with teeth themselves but that I have a sinus infection that is rubbing against the ends of the roots. So, long story short no driving till I'm off the suedafed and vicadan... hopefully not to many days hence.

what a winter this has been.

20. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

Shana, I'm so sorry about Cinders. So hard to lose a pet you've had for so long. You did the right thing, though. It's our responsibility as pet owners to not let our pets suffer needlessly. She was an old dog who had a good life.