ByeBye Windows XP

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by suitemichelle, Jun 30, 2008.

1. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

ByeBye Windows XP

So Microsoft rolled out the last of the XP operating system today, with with support ending iafter 2009. Heard that they are working on another operating system besides Vista.

My hubbie is so anti Vista that he's thinking about getting a mac.

So my questions are: What have you heard about the new system? How strongly do you feel about Vista (pro or con)?

and off on a tangent, is securom found in the games made for mac?

2. Judhudson

Judhudson is a Hi-Tech Redneck

Actually...you are half right

Vista was pretty much deemed a failure by Microsoft. Microsoft has announced that they will continue to support XP until April 2014 with Security Patches and updates.

While XP will no longer be sold in stores on computers, for those that have it will not be left in the dust or forced over to Vista.

Windows 7, Microsoft's newest Windows version is set for release in sometime 2010 and according to them, it will be the real deal.

Vista gets a lot of hate for some reason. Granted that it runs like crap on a computer older than 3 years, it is very smooth for those that are new (as long as it has more than 1 Gig of memory).

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20080624/tc_nf/60443

3. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

I was gonna say the last I heard was support was gonna continue through 2014 too.
    I'm not about to switch to their crappy Vista either.
    Hopefully this new O.S. will be compatiable with XP too but I won't hold my breath.

4. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Vista is a decent OS. No complaints here :D

5. JohnEZ

JohnEZ The Mac Guy

Personally, it doesn't matter too much to me because I'm very happy as I sit here typing on my iMac. :)

However, since I'm an engineering major, I have to dual-boot Windows. And seeing how I can no longer get XP... that leaves me with Vista. Which I wouldn't complain about if it wasn't such a resource hog.

6. ManagerJosh

Pfftt... you have a new iMac John. Why are you complaining? :D

7. JohnEZ

JohnEZ The Mac Guy

Cos I really dislike Vista! :p

8. constantina

constantina New Member

No byebye XP for me. Vista simply sucks! Partly because of MSIE.

9. Leticron

Leticron New Member

I don't get the point of M$IE being the reason why Vista suxs.
    I haven't used IE in years and I do not intend to change that now :D (FF3.x as well as Opera9.x do the trick just fine :D
    My biggest complaint against Vista is the unbelievable hardware-hunger.
    It runs quite decent here (brand spanking new Dual core machine) but XP on that same machine "flies" as fast as I have never seen any windows run.
    I suggest that everyone who don't want to deal with vista: talk to your friends and relatives...esp. all those people who recently got a new computer.
    Most of them will havea n old rig with a valid XP license they might not need anymore ;)
    -le

10. hataz_gon_hate

hataz_gon_hate Be Nice

they should just phase out vista, if they are planning to release a new one on 2010. with the way things are going with them, vista will get little or no support by then.

11. swmeek

They'll keep on milking their baby as long as they can so they can keep their cashflow coming.
    Kinda like Ea and the Sims.

12. ManagerJosh

SHHH!!! We don't give EA ideas ;) :p

13. CHawk32

CHawk32 New Member

Mac . . .

Well, I don't mean to sound like one of those annoying Mac fans saying it is better and all of that . . . but you can probably tell from my avatar which one I favor. I have a Mac at home with the new OSX operating system, and at work, I use Vista, and I'm sorry to say that I am much more happy that I bought a Mac instead of a new PC that would force me to use Vista. The Mac just works so much smoother, and everything on it is just logical and makes sense. I think that Vista tried too hard to be flashy to compete with Mac's look and feel.
    I have never had any problem with downloading applications that didn't support Mac, and the only thing that is a downside is that every game is not available for MAC, but most major ones are . . .

EDIT: I am still using my MAC, for a few months now, and haven't regretted it for one second!

14. swmeek

Yeah that little fact about games would slow me down a bit.

15. JohnEZ

JohnEZ The Mac Guy

But the thing is, it doesn't have to be that way. With BootCamp, you can dual boot your Mac with Windows XP or Windows Vista. And since it runs at native speeds--without emulation--your games will run just as fast on a Mac as they would a comparable PC. :)

16. swmeek

Is this all Macs or Intel Macs only?

17. ManagerJosh

Bootcamp only works with Macs that have Intel CPUs.

18. CHawk32

CHawk32 New Member

. . . . and any new mac will have an intel chip in it!

19. Leticron

Leticron New Member

there is an alternative to Bootcamp (as long as you have enough RAM and decent hardware)
    Sun xVM VirtualBox 1.6
    That way you could install an additional windows and switch back and forth without booting.

-le

20. swmeek

I don't think I feel like learning a whole new operating system plus all the technical stuff of a MAC system.