Spore Don’t act like an @$$ in any EA forum, you could be banned from your games

Discussion in 'General Gaming Talk' started by Judhudson, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Judhudson

Judhudson is a Hi-Tech Redneck

Don’t act like an @$$ in any EA forum, you could be banned from your games

[​IMG]I don’t understand EA. In my opinion, it’s as if they do their best to piss off gamers on purpose to lose money. Sometimes I wonder if the whole EA Board of Representatives superglued their heads up their butts…

What am I talking about, to be exact? No, not the dreaded DRM topic - or even piracy. It’s about the topic of using the official EA forums. If I were you, I’d be very careful to stay away from their forums as they have implemented a new policy to where if you’re banned in the forums, you’re banned in ALL of your online-related EA games with the same account.

According to a post at the official EA forums for Command & Conquer, C&C Community Manager Aaron Kaufman speaks to gamers:

“Your forum account will be directly tied to your Master EA Account, so if we ban you on the forums, you would be banned from the game as well since the login process is the same. And you’d actually be banned from your other EA games as well since its all tied to your account. So if you have SPORE and Red Alert 3 and you get yourself banned on our forums or in-game, well, your SPORE account would be banned to. It’s all one in the same, so I strongly recommend people play nice and act mature.”

“All in all, we expect people to come on here and abide by our ToS. We hate banning people, it makes our lives a lot tougher, but its what we have to do.

Those banned will stay banned, but like most other internet services, its not that hard to create a new fake e-mail account. However, its a lot harder to get a new serial key =)”

I’m sorry…but this is just ridiculous.* I can see the fact if you act like an ass in the forums, then you should be banned from there…but from locking you out from playing all of the online-based EA games that you own?* That’s gone overboard.* Not to mention, how easy it would be to have an over-zealous mod come in and ban you for a post that they see unfit - even if it is well within terms of their policy.

And another thing…I don’t know if I’m correct on this, but if you create inappropriate custom content (or any content for that matter that someone doesn’t agree with and clicks “report”) and get banned, the same rules will most likely apply.

Kotaku, the source of this article plans to reach contact with EA on more information on this topic.

2. hugzncuddles

hugzncuddles New Member

Yet another example of how EA is choosing to seize control over its customers, because basically, EA cannot accept that it DOES NOT OWN its customers. They are trying desperately to control/ manipulate/ dictate those who still hang around, because they cannot do so with those such as myself who have walked away from being a paying customer.

EA is losing money due to piracy (NOT my chosen path, I might add) and THEY (EA) have pushed paying customers in that direction by making their choice of DRM, which HAS screwed up many computers and has installed without the end user's knowledge or permission, thus violating their right to choose whether or not to buy the game and install it.

I make no apology for walking away from a company who has no regard for its paying customers. I'm curious though, as to whether EA is still a thriving business in 2, 5, 10 years' time. It IS only a matter of time. R.I.P., EA.

3. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Well if they want to censor over there, that's fine. I don't intend to censor anyone here. :)

HEY ALL YOU BANNED PEOPLE AT THE SPORE FORUMS OR ARE AFRAID TO SPEAK UP....YOU'RE ALWAYS WELCOMED HERE!

4. Ruthie_Faye

Ruthie_Faye New Member

So basically are you saying that if you tick off ea then you would no longer be able to play spore on your home computer? I just came on here to find out how people are liking spore since it came out and find out if you need to have online service to play the game then I see this and it looks worse then I thought.

Ruth

5. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Maybe all the more reason why to hide from the official EA sites? :D

6. Ball Lightning

Ball Lightning New Member

This is just a disgrace, having moderators being able to ban you from playing a game you have have rightfully bought.

Heres another terrible story of someone getting banned for saying "Badass" in the sporepedia, getting banned for 30 days:
    http://sporedum.net/2008/10/28/badass-ea/

7. Ruthie_Faye

Ruthie_Faye New Member

THAT is SO not right!!! He paid for that game and should be allowed to play it on his personal computer no matter what he says in an ea forum!

Looks like I'll have to stick with TS2 because you know they will implement a similar form of securom with TS3! EA works with a lot of inconsistancies and double standards. The ban was probably extended to 30 days because he had the nerve to complain.

I was banned for 7 days for having a signature in support of electing John McCain for president. But they still allowed someone else to have a similar line supporting Obama. When I saw he still had his line for Obama I kept mine about McCain so they banned me again for 30 days. When I was allowed back in I changed my signature to something like I was banned for supporting the wrong candidate according to EA. After that the Obama signature was deleted.

Sounds to me like EA is getting a god complex.

Ruth

8. hugzncuddles

hugzncuddles New Member

More like, HAS a God complex. And has had it for quite some time!

The era of gaming has truly turned, and I'm just going to stick with what I have bought over all my gaming years - I'm not buying any more.

I've been a gamer since the days of the ZX Spectrum and the Commodore 64, and the ColecoVision console, and the Atari, and the Sega MegaDrive and Sega Saturn and Dreamcast and the PS1.....

.... and I am actually right now thinking of hooking those things up and reliving the glory days of gaming! :D