News EA/Maxis ignores their TS2 EULA, ‘partners’ with paysites

Discussion in 'The Sims 3' started by Judhudson, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Judhudson

Judhudson is a Hi-Tech Redneck

EA/Maxis ignores their TS2 EULA, ‘partners’ with paysites

[​IMG]Skimming over the forum at Reclaim Your Game, I stumbled upon a post that cannot be ignored and should be announced to the Sims community. It’s based on the topic that’s been struggling with The Sims 2 community for a number of years - paysites.

While it is true that I have worked on a paysite in the past (8th Deadly Sim), it wasn’t until Paysites Must Be Destroyed was created and the truth behind the game’s EULA that made me come to my senses. Sad to say, EA/Maxis have been ignoring their EULA for a long, long time…But it seems that just recently it has gotten worse.

Recent activities over at the official Sims 2 forum shows that the Maxoids are putting the banhammer down on those who link to Paysites Must Be Destroyed. Their reason?

MaxisDrea’s post:

A lot of our Simmers have been posting links to PaySitesMustBeDestroyed which is not ok. This site often posts content that is either from our TS2 Store or from partner sites which are pay/subscription based. This is considered linking to pirated content.

Wait…what?* That’s a huge stepout there, Drea!* I’m not a frequent visitor to PSMBD, but I do check it from time to time.* As I recall, they don’t post content from your store because it is official created by EA and technically is commercial content (even though it’s my opinion that it’s stupid to charge for such).* Paysites must be Destroyed was setup to host content from fan-made paysites.

Speaking of which…since when did paysites become “Partner sites”?* Isn’t this breaking your own rules?* Isn’t that why fansites usually try to include the following at the bottom of their site in the copyright notes:

This site is not endorsed by or affliliated with Electronic Arts or its licensors. Trademarks are the property of their respective owners. Game content and materials copyright Electronic Arts Inc. and its licensors. All Rights Reserved.

From The Sims Resource

So how can any fansite that charges be “partners” with EA, hmmmm, especially when it is stated in the EULA!?

This mess over at the TS2 forums has gotten so bad it’s even causing SimMasters to quit due to incompetence of the Maxoids!

Hey Maxis…let me congratulate you on screwing your customers even further!* Keep at it, pissing off your fans near the time The Sims 3 comes out is a great thing - it saves us $50 bucks to spend on something else!

Sources:

2. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

Not to mention that some of the crap off the Sims2Store isn't worth distributing free or paid for! LOL

3. hugzncuddles

hugzncuddles New Member

My jaw drops open with the paypal info sharing stuff by TSR. Also, I am still working my way through those threads at the BBS, and find it somewhat amusing that everyone's kicking up a fuss about the attitude and actions of EA, especially with regard to the 'partner sites' issue.

I mean, how stupid are some people? Did they really not know that EA has been holding hands with TSR from day one? Did EA have their eyes closed the whole of the last several years? Did EA really have no clue that TSR is a paysite? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I mean isn't it obvious that EA doesn't care about TSR's paysite status, as if I remember correctly (uhh yes I am correct), a rep from TSR has been present at many/most/if not all of the "fansite events" held at EA over the last several years. Therefore, EA either condones or permits (or couldn't legally fight) the paysite status at TSR. The question then is, is this an exception to the EULA, or is the interpretation or application of the EULA incorrect? In other words, the whole issue of whether EA can legally declare/enforce the idea of 'everything you create belongs to us' is up for debate. So is the moral aspect of paysites.

I found the BBS situation to be even more amusing because some of the long time members, mods too, have still remained with EA for a whole other year since last year's SecuROM fiasco. I have no sympathy for anyone who has stayed with EA since then - the final line was crossed IMO when EA pulled the SecuROM stunt last year, which *has* caused real problems for fans. Whatever else EA has done to *tick off its customers and fans since last year, well, the fans and customers should have made a stance - WALK AWAY FROM EA.

4. JohnEZ

JohnEZ The Mac Guy

That's three SimMasters in one weekend... :eek:

5. Judhudson

Judhudson is a Hi-Tech Redneck

You are correct on this, hugz. I've known it since day #1 but I believe this is the first time a representative for EA/Maxis has actually admitted to the public that it's true.

6. hugzncuddles

hugzncuddles New Member

To John: Yup, and though I don't know SMLisa on a personal level, I do remember her from the Maxis SimChat days when I was there in 2002/ 2003, so she's been a SM for at least 6.5 years. Although we haven't been buddies or anything and sometimes had our differences a long time ago in the past, I still think it's a shame that someone who's been a volunteer, for so long, reaches a point where they feel forced to break ties with EA due to their increasingly obvious selfishness as a company, and lack of respect or consideration toward their fans and volunteers.

EA needs to wake up - the sims community is in a mess, SecuROM has caused the opposite effect from what was intended (it PUSHED fans to the dark side to learn how to bypass it), the paysite issue and ambiguity is something which EA refuses to make crystal clear, and EA's financial losses are NOT solely due to the economic crisis.

One thing is clear - in today's economic climate, even if loyal fans wish to buy EA's games, I would think that food and shelter are the most important things on the list. Where on that list does a new game appear? Pretty low down. And now those previously loyal paying customers know exactly how to obtain illegal copies of the game and bypass the CD requirement. GG, EA: The economic crisis isn't causing your financial losses - your poor business decisions and practices should be cited as the ultimate reason for your demise.

In this thread, the post by Darqstar61 at the end (wait for the page to load and the link takes you to the post) pretty much sums up most of what I feel too, and I know we're just two of an increasingly large number of fans who feel the same way:

http://bbs.thesims2.ea.com/communit....41,item.127#6cc5a5d235cb0769b4add57c181fcad9

My decision was made last October 2007 - I've been a SimCity/Sims 1 and 2 fan since the day they first released, but no more. My simming ends with Seasons. I'm happy with what I've got, but will never buy or play a later game than Seasons ever again. My life has changed anyway, and I have new aspects to focus on (family, new career choice etc). It's just a shame that EAs persistent and consistent refusal to listen to and respect their fans/ paying customers, and inability to hold the community together, will result in the eventual death of The Sims franchise, and others too. What a shame for all the talented, hardworking people at EA who have been let down by the corporate obsession with profits ahead of simple business concepts, such as keeping the customer happy. No customers = no business. No business = unemployed corporate fat cats with corner offices with a view, and fancy cars and houses. It also means no games for the fans, but hey, there's a world out there with new hobbies for the taking.

EA needs us more than we need EA.

To Jud: Yup, you and me both, and all the other long term fans, have a long memory. EA had a large community fanbase on a platter, with a range of fansites dedicated to bringing custom content to our fingertips, to enhance our game even further. The fansites brought the game to life, and the community spirit really had an impact on a personal level for fans, and on a financial level for EA. All was good until Maxis/EA showed its disregard for fans' needs and wishes. Maxis first broke the community in September 2003 when it closed the SimChat. The community split into different directions, all hosting their own sites, and some with chatrooms (which didn't take off). One thing led to another and eventually, the community has declined amidst the paysite situation and the generally low morale amongst individual fans. Certainly, fansites bashing each other for this and that, has made things worse too. This situation is worse than the crap we have to deal with in real life, lol. Reality is becoming a fast escape from the virtual world of sims community hostility. Gah, need to draw this reply to a close, time to make dinner.

7. JohnEZ

JohnEZ The Mac Guy

I couldn't've said this better. Can I quote you?

8. Ruthie_Faye

Ruthie_Faye New Member

You know Hugz is so right. I remember when I first started playing TS1 and found the sims community. It was so warm and welcoming. Now it's so different. EA is cutting off their own nose to spite their face. It's like they are trying to destroy themselves, either that or they have begun beliving their own press that they are a god desguised as a game company.

I wish we could go back to the days of Will Wright and Maxis! The company was small but they treated their fan base, their customers like friends.

Ruth