Heavy snow hits much of England

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ManagerJosh, Feb 2, 2009.

1. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

2. NatalFenix

NatalFenix Lamb of Spiritual Flock

I know!
    I am here now!
    Back in Suffolk!(near london about an hour by train ride)
    My folks live here so i am back over here to "visit"
    it really is bad! snowing as i type!
    has been since 5 o'clock yesterday
    not showing any sign of letting up!
    SA I sorely miss ya!
    Hot sun and white sandy beaches for THIS! =D
    LOL
    glad i don't "live" here!

But now i ask myself How on earth am i gunna get back,if it doesn't let up by next week!
    Ooh great
    Anyways thanks for posting this Josh!
    you sure are clued up with all the worlds news!
    amazed!
    Feel for all the 'other' guys trapped here too!
    I met a dude he was suppsoed to be back in his country yesterday!
    but because of the "delays" he has to play it by ear i gues!
    poor bugger

3. JohnEZ

JohnEZ The Mac Guy

I wish I lived in the UK. :(

...Y'know, I read that article. It said that they got 10cm in the first few hours, with up to another 10cm expected. That's only 8". It really isn't that much :p

4. NatalFenix

NatalFenix Lamb of Spiritual Flock

LOL "really isn't that much" >_>
    yeah buddy you be here and say THAT!
    trust me i just got back from work half an hour ago it took 2 hours to get through traffic!
    and in those two hours our windows were completely iced/frosted through!
    we drove at snail pace for about an hour before hitting the dreaded pile up on the A1!
    So um yeah wanna live here?
    no probs!
    Glad i live in Sunny Durbs! (durban)
    2 weeks til I return!
    ;)
    thanks for that though it made me chuckle!

They also just announced power outs And we have been getting them regularly!
    also another scary factor is it may continue this way for 3 days solid!
    non stop snow! eugh
    3 weeks Of this?
    nah uh no thanks I'd rather be back in Sa with it's sunny charms and warm spells
    and best of all invitingly swaying palms (warmbadths .. a Resort) in the Draken Berg mountains!
    aaah

5. hugzncuddles

hugzncuddles New Member

"No excuse for a mass skive" - London mayor

"No excuse for a mass skive" - has this man any sense at all? All the current advice is to stay at home unless the journey is absolutely essential. One thing is certain, my fiance won't be travelling to his workplace tomorrow as the route is unsafe, and let's face it, our area spent 30k pounds a few years ago to determine why the gritters failed; their answer? "we used the wrong type of grit". 30k of our local taxpayers' money to reach that groundbreaking conclusion!! :rolleyes:

And if nothing else, through the economic crap we've gone through and the bleak future ahead of us all in this sorry excuse for a country, the least that Boris Johnson could do is allow those who can't travel to enjoy a day or two off and have some fun in the snow with their kids, instead of showing yet again what a clueless prat he is. Bloody pillock! :rolleyes:

6. ManagerJosh

My British english is a bit rusty, but what's a 'mass skive'?

7. hugzncuddles

hugzncuddles New Member

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Skive has the following meanings:

• To skive is British slang for the practice of avoiding responsibilities because you want to do something more fun or just don't want to do what you should be doing.
      • In the context of schooling, this is known as truancy.

/end quote

A mass skive is where workers and schoolchildren take the day off work, in this situation claiming poor weather is the cause when it may not be the case in their area, yet they go with the majority and just stay at home (to the annoyance of bosses/managers). :p

Those who can get into work would obviously not succeed in "pulling the wool over the bosses' eyes", so I don't see how Boris can accuse people of trying to do so. :rolleyes:

8. ManagerJosh

So in other words, Mr. Johnson is saying there is no reason for a "snow day" ?

Oh geees... :rolleyes:

9. hugzncuddles

hugzncuddles New Member

Exactly! I'll say again - pillock! :p

Apart from the safety aspect of treacherous travelling conditions, the snow is a sparkly invitation to have some good ol' fun, and we just don't get enough of the stuff. This video made me feel warm and fuzzy, especially the kiddies making snow angels, awww. :)

10. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

He means slacking off!
    So how much snow have you had so far Hugzie?
    Makes me wonder how my friend up in Burnley is faring in all this.
    Luckily she doesn't drive but yet she has to depend on the damned buses to get back and forth to work!
    It especially ticks her off when they don't stop at her bus stop! :ducks:

11. ManagerJosh

Well, the guy technically doesn't have to goto work :p