Help!!

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by coralark, Feb 20, 2009.

1. coralark

coralark New Member

Help!!

Some of my objects in my game aren't appearing when I try to put them in a house....i tried a lamp and the light from it showed up, but no object...some of the wallpapers aren't working either, they come up white with red x's and blue writing on them...and it's all original stuff that's not showing up. Also my mirriors don't reflect anything...i remember before if my sims were looking in a mirror i could see them in the mirror, along with the rest of the room....anyone know why it's doing that?

Ok I've narrowed it down to just my apartment life objects/wallpapers/floors...please help!

2. destiny9099

destiny9099 New Member

Dude You are having that issue too????? So am I...

3. coralark

coralark New Member

thank god someone else is having the same problem! i thought about uninstalling and reinstalling apartment life

4. destiny9099

destiny9099 New Member

apartment life issue

Well if u do will you let me know if you fixed it please. :happy: I really dont want to do that with all the downloaded stuff if you get my jest.

5. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

Reinstalling the game would probably be best. It sounds like some of the textures are missing or corrupt. Otherwise try updating you graphic drivers.

6. coralark

coralark New Member

alright, how do i uninstall and reinstall apartment life without losing all my downloads and houses i built?

7. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

Depending if you have Windows xp or Vista you would go to here and make a copy of your My Documents or ( Documents if you have Vista ) /Ea Games/ folder and copy the Sims2 folder inside.
    Save the copy and paste it in your (my) Documents/ and rename it something like back up copy
    No click the start button and go to control panel and look for the folder marked add/remove programs.
    Scroll down the list and look for your sims2 Apartment life.
    Click remove/uninstall.
    Once it's done I would suggest you defragment your hard drive by clicking start/ all programs/ accessories/system tools/ defragmenter.
    Run that and then reinstall Apartment Life.
    Once it's installed I would test it to make sure it works first before you copy over the folder.
    Once you're sure it's working go back to the Sims2 folder and delete it and replace it with the backup copy and rename it Sims2.

8. coralark

coralark New Member

Ok I uninstalled and reinstalled apartment life and everything is working fine, i didn't even have to replace my sims 2 folder with my backup copy...yay thanks everyone for your help!

hope it fixes your problem too destiny! :D

9. swmeek

Did you lose all your downloads and stuff when you reinstalled?

10. destiny9099

destiny9099 New Member

Thank You all!!!

11. Ace

Ace New Member

Interesting. I had kind of the same thing happen to me. I don't have the Apartment Life expansion though. Seasons seems to be the culprit for me. A lot of my Wallpapers don't show up at all. When I try to apply them to the walls the walls still look blank and some of my floors just show up as blue no matter what color they are supposed to be. I have a lot of objects and hair styles showing up with the red x's and blue writing on them too. I have tried reinstalling and it doesn't do any good. :cry: I'm surprised to see anyone else having similar problems. I assumed my disc was bad. I've just been putting up with it because Sims 3 was supposed to be coming out this month. Unfortunately, that's been delayed.

12. coralark

coralark New Member

i didn't lose anything when i reinstalled apartment life...after i installed it, i went into the game to see if everything was working and all my downloads were still there and my houses/families. that's the only problem i've had *knock on wood* so far and i have all the games except mansions and gardens

13. swmeek

Now would be as good time as any to back up what you have Coralark!
    Just in case knocking on wood fails!
    I've never heard of wallpapers not showing up before that I know of !
    Maybe now would be a good time to start sorting out the stuff you don't need or play with any more.
    You might try taking out the downloads folder and then start dividing things up into into folders and placing a few at a time back into the game.
    You can create a new Downloads folder and then start adding a few folders at a time to see if you start finding problems or not.
    Just keep doing that until you weed out the bad stuff.

14. Ace

Ace New Member

When I reinstalled the game I didn't just reinstall Seasons. I uninstalled and reinstalled the whole thing. I wiped everything out and started from scratch. I got rid of all my custom content and hacks. I lost all my game play but I figured if I took the game back to it's original state then the problem would disappear. Unfortunately, it made no difference. Unless someone can think of something else, my only other option would be to start eliminating original content but I'm afraid that would really screw up my game. I kind of doubt it was a download or a hack anyway. When the problem first occurred I hadn't downloaded anything for a long time. I was playing the game and everything was fine. Then all of a sudden in the middle of my game play my character's hair just turned white with the red x's and blue writing. With more exploration I discovered the wallpaper and floor tile problems as well as some of the other objects being messed up. One minute everything was fine, the next it wasn't. :confused:

15. swmeek

Could you post up a dxdiag of your system Ace.
    It might help us determine any possible problems with teh game as far as hardware goes.
    Are you playing on a xp or vista system?

16. Ace

Ace New Member

Is this what your asking for?

System Information

Operating System: Windows Vista (TM) Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001)
    Language: English
    System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion
    System Model: RK573AA-ABA a1710n
    BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64x2 Dual Core Processor 4200+(2CPUs), ~2.2 GHz
    Memory: 1534MB RAM
    Page File: 1333MB used, 1994MB available
    DirectX Version: DirectX 10

17. swmeek

We'd also need the display info too. Thanks

18. Ace

Ace New Member

O.K. Here's the display info.

Device

Name: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
    Manufactuer: NVIDIA
    Chip Type: GeForce 9600 GT
    DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Appox. Total Memory: 1013 MB
    Current Display Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: SyncMaster 931BW/906BW/931CW, SyncMaster
    Direct X Features

Direct Draw Acceleration: Enabled
    Direct 3D Acceleration: Enabled
    AGP Texture Acceleration: Enabled
    Drivers

Main Driver: nvd3dum.dll,nvwgf2um.dll
    Version: 7.15.0011.7519 (English)
    WHQL Logo'd: n/a
    DDI Version: 10

On the bottom of the page under Notes it says there are no problems found.

19. swmeek

I would suggest you download the latest version of graphics driver for your card.
    Also make sure you have the most recent version of Directx10 from Microsoft installed too.
    Then go over to www.guru3d.com and download Driver Sweeper and install it.
    Go and uninstall your graphics driver you have now.
    restart the computer and boot into safe mode by pressing F8 while the computer is booting up .
    Don't hold the button down when you do it just press it several times before the Windows Vista screen comes up.
    Once you're in safe mode run Driver Sweeper to have it clean out the Nvidia drivers.
    Simply click the box next to Nvidia display drivers and press the clean button.
    Once that's done clean out the recycle bin and defragment your computer.
    You can restart the computer or try installing the new driver but make sure the anti-virus is turned off when you do.
    Once you install the driver try running the game and see if it helps.

20. Ace

Ace New Member

:( I spent hours yesterday updating all my drivers, cleaning out all the old stuff on my computer I don't use anymore, defragmenting, etc. It runs a little better now but my game is still messed up. I think my seasons game disc must be corrupted somehow. I could replace it I suppose but I don't want to spend the money with Sims 3 coming out soon. Thanks for your help though. I didn't realize you had to update your graphics driver from time to time. How often are you supposed to do that anyway?