News VRevis: “What I did at EA”, Creator’s Camp update

Discussion in 'The Sims 3' started by Judhudson, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Judhudson

Judhudson is a Hi-Tech Redneck

VRevis: “What I did at EA”, Creator’s Camp update

With yesterday’s announcement from GameSpot about The Sims 3 Mashup Tool, VRevis made a note in her blog (A Cuppa Joe) that the NDA had been officially lifted discussing what they did/saw at the Creator’s Camp.* Free to speak her mind, she wrote on her time spent with the beta version of the MashUp tool.* Here’s a sample of her post:

In fact, by Thursday, the rest of us had yet to even USE the mash-up tool, we were having so many problems getting our shots filmed. I had my sim actors disappear every time I closed down the game. So I spent every restart in CAS, trying to recreate my sim actors, losing precious time, and having to rework a storyline to fit the ever-changing cast. To add to this, we were told that on both Thursday and Friday, we’d be leaving the lab early, to make room for testers for another game.

Eggzie sat to my right, and had going for a very dramatic shot, all week. One that desperately needed to be slowed down for effect, and he had been grumbling and mumbling to himself for a couple days, trying to get this particular shot done. He finally got it shot on Thursday, and opened up the (I’m laughing as I recall all this) mash-up tool for the first time, late that afternoon. He assembled his clips, hit preview, we all gathered around, and the clip was so fast. After a sudden sputtering of “language”, Eggzie pushed his chair back in frustration, and turned around to face the maxoids and whoever from the dev team was there and said something like “All right. Somebody’s gotta say it. This mash-up tool sucks!” and I lost it. I started laughing so hard I turned red and had tears streaming down my cheeks. We had all been so frustrated, and Eggzie’s words just seemed so damned appropriate. Of course, it was all out of frustration. His video actually turned out VERY well, all things considered.

Revis touches on the fact that the tool they’ve used was in beta, so hard times often occured - stressing users out as well.* Luckily with the extra time EA gave them, a majority of the bugs should now be corrected.* She also makes note that this tool is not for the experienced editor.* This tool will have its limitation, allowing those who have never attempted machinima to create their own stories by videos.* I think this is a fantastic approach to educating Simmers how to manage video editing so they can move on up the scale to Windows Movie Maker and any other software they may happen to own.

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Just a note, part of the NDA was lifted. We still have other items we can't say yet.

3. VRevis

VRevis New Member

Ah, so this was why you modified my blog title to say "sorta" in your other post.

The NDA regarding the mashup tool has been lifted. Period. I got the word from Drea, herself, yesterday.

Thank you for your professionalism with the story, Jud. I appreciate it.