The Sims Online Restoration Team

Discussion in 'The Sims 1' started by Webmist, May 15, 2011.

1. Webmist

Webmist New Member

It's been awhile since I've even had a passion for the Sims of any series except occasionally playing. Then I ran across TSOR and have actually gotten back into all of them. From Sims 1 to 3 and now I've seen the following call for any developers to revive TSO back online with the bonus of being free.

http://www.tsorestoration.com/forum...nd-best-way-to-help/page__pid__7733#entry7733

If you don't want to follow the link here is the bullet points.
    • TSO Restoration is a non-profit organization which is restoring and recreating The Sims Online (which was shut down in 2008).
    • TSO Restoration's website can be found athttp://www.tsorestoration.com.
    • TSO Restoration's community currently has nearly 3,000 members with over 7,000 posts, and a development team consisting of 6 fully dedicated developers.
    • We currently need programmers with experience in either C++ or C# (or both).
    • We also need talented reverse engineers/packet decryptors to help us reverse engineer file formats and packets which the game uses.
    • Presently, we need help with the FTP/patch server (coded with C++ and FTP), the update client (coded with C++, Win32 and various networking APIs), the Isometric Engine (coded with C++ and OpenGL) and various other things including format research and rendering.
    • People with knowledge of Win32 APIs such as WinSock and GDI will be especially important to the team.
    • Anyone who wishes to apply should either create an account here at TSOR and submit a development application inhttp://www.tsorestor...opers-paradise/, or email me directly at codemonkeyjonathan@gmail.com

I must say their passion for this project has actually inspired me to get back into all things Sims and I can honestly say I usually don't forward or press anyone into joining anything because I don't like it either. So please just consider this information for those interested.

ManagerJosh likes this.
  2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Wow you're kidding!! People are actually trying to revive TSO?? Are they reviving services or making it able so you can play in the TSO Universe? Or transform it into a single player like game like in The Sims?

Webmist likes this.
  3. Webmist

Webmist New Member

They are actually reviving TSO with some of the things the players always wanted. Being players themselves. Like it more when it was in beta. This time free for everyone and to eventually where you can have your own server and custom content. It's kinda weird, I ran across their forum and have since started back in player 2 & 3 more.

4. ManagerJosh

Player 2 or 3? That somewhat didn't make sense. Granted I haven't touched TSO with a ten foot pole for quite some time..

5. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

Is this allowed by EA or is EA actually behind the scenes somehow?

6. ManagerJosh

I don't see why it wouldn't be allowed. Granted the software itself is copyrighted, but they have essentially abandoned the project...

7. swmeek

Yeah but you have to consider this is one of EA's adopted babies they're not just going to let just anybody do anything that might let them do anything that let's them make a single penny off of that.(if there was any kind of charge to it that is)

8. Webmist

Webmist New Member

It's been addressed and asked several times. They are not doing it for profit and are NOT distributing the actual client, you either have to have a legal copy or download it for free from EA, they are just changing files of the modified components to allow it to run off a different login server. It will be totally free. That why it's taking so long because everyone involved is donating their free time to help with the development part on re-creating some of the code base to todays standards and to allow the authentication which is being recreated.

That actually reminds me of the debate on paying for custom content for the Sims 2. In this case though not a charge in site to anyone. So I seriously doubt EA will even get involved.

9. ManagerJosh

well EA Legal decided to assert its right and "crack down" on TSO Restoration....

And as far as I'm concerned, I really really am disliking this heavy handedness towards fans recently. EA's killing everything that's great about The Sims.

10. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

Recently Josh? They seem like they always have to me. =]

11. swmeek

I second that !