Sims Deluxe Edition Crashing (Sound Card Related?)

Discussion in 'The Sims 1' started by PsychGamer, May 10, 2015.

1. PsychGamer

PsychGamer New Member

Hello,

I'm new here, so sorry if I do anything wrong in terms of seeking help (some forums are cray).

I recently purchased the Sims Deluxe Edition from a Goodwill (the discs work just fine, I quadruple checked the quality). It installed correctly, so it seemed, but every time I load up the game and try to select a home to start playing, the game crashes. I've received no explanation, whatosever, from my computer.

Here is the event log from the last time it happened:

Faulting application name: Sims.exe, version: 1.6.1.0, time stamp: 0x3de50630
    Faulting module name: Sims.exe, version: 1.6.1.0, time stamp: 0x3de50630
    Exception code: 0xc000001d
    Fault offset: 0x00193120
    Faulting process id: 0x3a24
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d08b7dd4fe915a
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\The Sims\Sims.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Maxis\The Sims\Sims.exe
    Report Id: 2b3e6a35-f771-11e4-bf7f-935484c4deb1
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:

I ended up pinpointing the issue is with my sound card, apparently, which works just fine for other games. I found this out by creating a shortcut with -nosound and trying to run it through this shortcut. It worked, and I'm playing now. But, I'm curious, how can I fix this issue. I'd love to be able to hear what is going on in my game...anyone who can help is awesome.

2. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

TS1 is a very old game. What works with current games may not work with TS1 and unless you want to install an older card (if you could even find one), I doubt it would work. Alternatively, an older driver might work. But if you can get the game to run at all, I think you are lucky. (When I upgraded to Windows 7, I lost the ability to even install my SimCity4! Very disappointed in that. And SC4 is only slightly newer than Sims Delux but has an upgraded game platform which was more similar to TS2.)

3. PsychGamer

PsychGamer New Member

So, there's a chance I'll just have to play with no sound? I guess it could be worse, I could've spent 10 dollars at Goodwill and received a product that doesn't work at all. I think I'll just count my lucky stars it works, at all, and go with it. Thanks for your reply :)