If The Sims 2 were online...

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Enjoji, Aug 4, 2003.

1. Enjoji

Enjoji New Member

If The Sims 2 were online...

Hello... :)

I just had a thought. I replied back to someone on the official BBS - for the last time - and I thought I'd share my idea here with others. If it is a really bad idea, be gentle :) .

What if The Sims 2 was made to be online-compatible in the hopefull not-too-distant future? I was thinking of maybe some kind of server - similar to have they have for TSO - and on this server, you can have a mall. Okay, I'm not making sense...

Say you call up a taxi from within your game, and the option to go to, say GlobalNet Mall, comes up. The taxi comes, picks you up and drives off the screen as in hot Date. After the brief loading screen and some elevator music, you see your Sim standing on the pavement, the same as in Hot Date, too. But, instead of being IN-GAME, you would actually be connected to this online server. Here, you would be able to point & click (the same as TSO), and go into various shops, maybe a theatre/cinema, spa, a gym maybe...that kind of thing. And, every shop/spa/gym etc, could have been created by someone else in the world. If they wanted to create their own shop, they'd have to pay to use the server space - I don't really know how that all works. I could be completely wrong with that... And, maybe the clerks/attendants etc could either be NPCs or - similar to TSO - could be other Sims controlled by real people working there.
    Stupid idea, I know. But it was just a thought. I've been thinking of this for a while now, and feel more comfortable posting it here than on the offical site. Sorry if I've wasted anyone's time with it here, though. But, let me know what you think:D

Bye!

2. simsamgrl16

simsamgrl16 New Member

*understands* o i gotcha ;) nice idea!

3. SolidSnake_19

SolidSnake_19 Senior Moderator

Actually, I think that sounds like a pretty neat idea. You kind of get the best of both Sim worlds with that. ;)
    I'm sure it wouldn't be all that difficult to program into the game. :)

4. mattho

mattho New Member

I would love to just play out my sims' lives online, interacting with other people, with the Sims 2 engine. That would be awesome! I haven't tried TSO but using the online Sims 2 engine, I think it'd rock!

5. Enjoji

Enjoji New Member

I'm glad you guys think it's a good idea. It's something that has been rolling around my head for a while:) . I'm sure Maxis or EA would be able to do something like that in the future. Hmm, maybe I should give 'em a call?:D

6. simsamgrl16

simsamgrl16 New Member

yea ;) lol ure welcume for keepin ya'll confident lol

7. mattho

mattho New Member

Haha, don't bother wasting your money on your call. Either they'll make it in the future if they've thought of it, or not ;)

8. simsamgrl16

simsamgrl16 New Member

or mayb they'll jus say that n lie lol no j/k

9. lilfaeriegirl078

lilfaeriegirl078 New Member

yeah u know, they could be lieing about the release date....

10. Jake

Jake New Member

i doubt maxis would lie about anything.. they would loose prestige and credibility..

Enjoji, your idea is pretty cool. They would have to find a way to pay for the server upkeep tho.. maybe make it available to people who pay a small fee? real real small fee.. *shrug* who knows? if you post it on the bbs at the official site there is definately a chance that a maxis dude/t would see it. Where do you think they get the user ideas?

11. mattho

mattho New Member

Now that I think about it, Maxis may not even consider making (for example), a sequel to Sims Online or something similar. We all know that TSO was actually a bit of a dissapointment for Maxis, and player sign-ups were less than expected - so I don't know if that would influence Maxis' decision to make something similar in the future, if they knew a product in the franchise wasn't so sucessful.

12. simsamgrl16

simsamgrl16 New Member

really wow i think they might stop tso ne tyme soon

13. mattho

mattho New Member

I'm pretty sure they've already stated that they'll commit to TSO for 5 years minimum.

14. simsamgrl16

simsamgrl16 New Member

n i'll think they'll stick 2 that

15. lilfaeriegirl078

lilfaeriegirl078 New Member

well i didnt exactly mean lieing.. but like fibbing, so that they can surprise us with an early release date! lol i kno im being unrealistic, big whoop

16. katrina

katrina New Member

I would hate that idea. Because our connection is so slow. I played the simsonline fine before it went public and it was great, but had to stop playing it after it went public because of problems with the slow server. Now I can't even get into the game. :(

17. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

aww I'm so sorry you can't get into the game anymore! :( I just got it about 2 weeks ago and I'm having fun playing it, but not being able to customize the objects or skins is starting to bug me, I'm spoiled! :p

18. katrina

katrina New Member

The game would probably still annoy me even if I had a really fast connection. I liked it a lot more before the "wipe". When they wiped all the servers and we had to start again because it was going public to give everyone a fair start. Skills deteriated much slower, so it was much easier to have full skill points, and you didn't have to choose a category for your property, so you could have anything you wanted on it, and it was much easier to get people to come visit you. We had parties every night. It was so cool back then in the good old sim days :)

But anyway.... going back to the sims2 going online. If my server wasn't really slow, I think I might like it. It would be difficult to do though. Extremely complicated.

19. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

It sounds like the early days were the best... but I can understand they had to change it to have so many people playing it once it came out. Still, it seems the skills DO deteriorate at a ridiculously fast rate! I've had my sim sitting there studying and her skill point went back DOWN again about a minute after she just GOT it! :eek: :(

20. simsamgrl16

simsamgrl16 New Member

i kno right i hope it aint like that in ts2