What's This???

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Billie, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Billie

Billie New Member

What's This???

Why is it that the "US" is now interested in allowing broadbanded internet access over the local power lines?

Especially when they cannot guarantee power service to be reliable. I'd hazard a guess to say that the majority of the power lines crossing this country are over 20 yrs old.

Sounds like a neat idea?

Better think about RF safety...

Imagine trying to hear a battery operated radio, getting nothing but static regardless of the station you tune to.

2. lewdini

lewdini Moderate Sith Lord

hmmm....how are they gonna resolve the power grid system problem?

3. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

I guess they are thinking the power lines are already up so they won't have to set up a whole separate set of lines for the broadband if they can make it carry both at the same time... but I think we'll have to see if it's really something that could work or not. If it does work maybe there will be both power companies AND internet companies splitting the cost of upkeep on the power lines? That might be good if they get more upkeep but might be bad if they each wait for the other to fix stuff!

4. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

well if the power is out...it wouldn't matter in the first place since you need electricity to send singals in the first place :p

5. Bryan

Bryan Member

i agree why do you need internet if you dont have power?

6. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

I know a guy who actually threw a fit and forced his roomate to pay the cable bill instead of the electric bill because he said he'd rather have cable tv than electricity.... when the electricity got cut off that meant they paid a month of cable tv they didn't get to watch. :p

7. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

Some people's children....

8. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

Children? The guy who threw the fit was 35 years old! :p (very sad...)

9. suitemichelle

Well, he was somebody's kid... once.

10. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

That's true. :D I'm still a big kid sometimes but it's more of being child-like because I get excited and happy over the little things. :p

11. suitemichelle

You are amazing Fae. In spite of everything, you do remain cheerful and childlike in the best possible way.

12. OinkUsed2BABunny

OinkUsed2BABunny Perma-banned.

Ah! The pleasantries! The love! *crumples into a miserable heap* :dead:

13. suitemichelle

ahhh, p'or, p'or widdle piggy. Is ums feelin' left out? Pat, pat the bunny. There, there, it'll be ok......

14. OinkUsed2BABunny

Ahhhh! I cant stand it any more! You ppl are too nice to each other! *bites and scratches* :angry:

15. Jake

Jake New Member

... a bunny that bites and scratches.. reminds me of the rabbit on Monty Python and the Holy Grail (sp?) :D The killer rabbit.. dun dun dun.. anyway.. as far internet with no power.. it's possible.. with an UPS. and that is not the postal serverce :p i think it stand for somethin like uninterupted power system or somethin.. *shrug*

16. OinkUsed2BABunny

The UPS's going into the power business now? Wow, learn something new everyday. :p

17. lworley

lworley New Member

UPS is basically a huge battery for ya pc, they only last for so long though and yes they stand for Uninterupted Power System

18. OinkUsed2BABunny

That reminds me, my UPS hasnt been changed ever since I got this motherboard.

(And yes, I did know what it is. I was just teasing Jake.)
    :p

19. suitemichelle

That poor bunny that used to be a pig. Your avatar creeps me out.

20. OinkUsed2BABunny

I wish I could retort by saying the same to you, but...

That's why you should ALWAYS listen to Kikkoman... and watch the cartoon.
    ;)

My name in sims chat used to be "OinkOinkIAmABunny" but since that chat is now dead, I felt I needed to make a name that reflected that fact. Hence the name I'm using now.