secure sites with php

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jake, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Jake

Jake New Member

secure sites with php

Any one know how to get a secure connection (https) with php?
    Also, anyone know the basics of having persistant loggin? I figure there are sessions involved.. just not sure how to use them.

2. CallanMilne

CallanMilne Banned

Jake, I have alot of script samples and I have one on Sessions. I may have one on HTTPS, but E-Mail me so I can send you the Sessions Script.

My E-Mail:
    TheDemondWithin@hotmail.com

Please E-Mail me, dont reply to this because I very rarely check these forums so make sure you E-Mail me!

3. Jake

Jake New Member

Thanks Callan. Writtin the email to ya now..

Anyone else know how to do the https stuff? or know someone who knows how or know of somewhere that tells how? Thanks..

4. PhilipTarbuck

PhilipTarbuck New Member

I know just a bit about phpBB and it can be a nightmare if you approach it the wrong way, depending which internet service provider you happen to have. I'll tell you if you like.

5. Jake

Jake New Member

phpBB? what's that? And that would be great if you told me..

6. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

phpBB = Bulletin Board

http://www.phpbb.com

If you are going ot use phpBB, better look into vBulletin. Its a LOT better :D

7. OinkUsed2BABunny

OinkUsed2BABunny Perma-banned.

Well, I wouldnt necessarily agree w/ you there Josh. It all depends on how and what you use that board for. phpBB tailors more to my tastes than vBulletin, not to say that yours has any fault, since I'm STILL here posting. But I find phpBB boards to be more stylish and easier to interface w/. vBullertin boards are a little more professional and can handle a lot more than just plain old silly posts or general chatter. But thats just what i think.

8. ManagerJosh

Wait till I cook up something for vBulletin 3. Its going to be even more easier to use than before.

9. ManagerJosh

One more thing..... vBulletin can handle Decryption :p

10. OinkUsed2BABunny

Is that really a good thing?

11. Jake

Jake New Member

lol oink, yes it is. decryption can be entertaining. so, you dont really know anything about making secure connections then? while phpBB looks nice, it's not what i need. I plan on making my own forums anyway :D

12. OinkUsed2BABunny

True true, but if that forum is just gonna be a weekend hobby thing then phpBB just takes less work. vB would take a lot more effort to create and maintain, no?

13. Jake

Jake New Member

true, but i'm not making a forum anyway.. i am wanting to make secure pages for people to log in to and browse and not have to worry about people sniffing their info. Even if i dont need to use it right now, i could sure use the knowledge for when i do need to have a secure connection.

14. OinkUsed2BABunny

Very thoughtful. Secure pages about?

15. Jake

Jake New Member

various things... dont have anything right now that i would really want to use.. but ya never know.

16. ManagerJosh

to do HTTPS, you should consider getting a certificate from THAWTE or Verisign.

17. lworley

lworley New Member

oh certificates here we go, aren't they costly anyhow?

18. Jake

Jake New Member

how do i get one?

19. ManagerJosh

20. PhilipTarbuck

PhilipTarbuck New Member

phpBB is, as correctly stated, the php bulletin board which is very often very difficult for those of us who subscribe to AOL to get into. For some strange reason AOL don't initially tell you the real reason for that, but if you go on the phpBB board they will tell you, but it will not help you to get on.
    I had been trying to get on one board for two years and gave it up until recently when I suddenly found out what was wrong.
    If anyone wants to know then I will e-mail them. I fear I may be defrocked if I did so in public - that is if I wore a frock!