Hype, especially for Games.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by PhilipTarbuck, Oct 24, 2003.

1. PhilipTarbuck

PhilipTarbuck New Member

Hype, especially for Games.

I get fed up with the hype which everybody uses (no, not just the Americans) for new games. They promise you all sorts of good things and if you happen to like the particular subject they ask you to pre-order. Then the game doesn't come out on the date originally indicated and no guess is given as to when it will come out. Games are never quite all they are cracked up to be, are they? Some games I have got are so bad that I have only played them once or twice and couldn't do so any more, and the worst are the ones I have played over and over and over to try to get to work properly and, of course, they will not work properly at all.

2. OinkUsed2BABunny

OinkUsed2BABunny Perma-banned.

Case in point: The Sims.

3. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

It is a challenge to play it without cheating.... It is sad to discover how unsatisfied we are with what we can afford.

4. OinkUsed2BABunny

Nope, no cheating for me unless for experimentations and constructions of mansions/hotels. I even went so far as to make 8 different sims and put them all in the same house, working in the same field so i only have to click on the carpool once per day, and have them do nothing but prepare them for promotions with their spare time. It still proved to be as mundane as playing lets say a two person house. There will always be TS2... there will always be TS2... there will always...

5. PhilipTarbuck

PhilipTarbuck New Member

I am really excited over the forthcoming introduction of '......' (a quite ordinary game about to be released and/or announced.
    If someone said that to you in England it would mean that they couldn't keep still with excitement and they would be a real pain to be with. Apparently when you work for a games manufacturer then you are supposed to feel that way most of the time.

6. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Though I think you can't hype too much up in any game. MOst of the time or expectations are set by rumors circulated by fellow fans or inconclusive conclusions.

7. Shar_Teel_2222

Shar_Teel_2222 New Member

I'm on PhilipTarbuck side with "They promise you all sorts of good things and if you happen to like the particular subject they ask you to pre-order. Then the game doesn't come out on the date originally indicated and no guess is given as to when it will come out." but thats all :D.

8. OinkUsed2BABunny

That's why it's always wise to beta, if you have the chance and are eligible. You get to see what the game is gonna be like before you have to commit to anything, plus you get to play for free! :D

9. Colonel Froggie

Colonel Froggie Lord of the Frogs

Are we talking just games or movies, TV shows and every product otherwise out there?

And pretty much nothing is what it's cracked up to be (I am aware that I started a sentence with "and").

10. PhilipTarbuck

PhilipTarbuck New Member

I was just talking about games for computer, but no doubt it will apply to other 'media' as well. Thank goodness for the U.K., altough I think that we are gradually approaching the U.S. attitude,

11. lworley

lworley New Member

yeah but, wouldn't you prefer a game to be delayed but better or a game rushed to meet the deadline?

12. OinkUsed2BABunny

Does that even need answering? Only n00bs and parents who cant stand the obsessive whining of their kids would want a game to be out sooner than it should.

13. Shar_Teel_2222

Shar_Teel_2222 New Member

Ummmm Oink before you use say things like that (see quote) think.