Basements are a possibilty.

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by altec_tech, Mar 1, 2004.

1. altec_tech

altec_tech New Member

Basements are a possibilty.

In an earlier chat transcript, they stated that they have figured out how to put in basements, so they might add them now. But they removed weather as a feature because it "rained inside, it was stupid" I have to say Maxis is lazy, for not trying to solve these issues earlier, or actually trying to solve them. So no more getting struck by lightining while in the pool during a t-storm... :(

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

it isn't as easy as setting a zone and telling a computer to not have it rain inside that area.

Since each home will be different, that means the area where it should not rain is different, which is the difficulty right now.

3. Vchat20

Vchat20 New Member

i still dont see why it would be so hard. just tell the game that wherever there is a roof, awning, or floor above, that are should not be subject to weather. of course it would be harder than that, but thats the basic idea.

4. REDXIII

REDXIII New Member

whats so bad with a storm in your basement?a lil rain never hurt any1

5. Pixie

Pixie Yoga Queen

Personally, weather would have added so much to the game. I mean, weather is important in our day to day lives as it is. People are generally happier when the sun is shining. And on the flip side there is seasonal depression, (i.e. winter) If they were striving for realism on this game... weather would play an important role in the sims mood and happiness level.
    Well at any rate a basement would be super cool :)

6. FinalFantasy4ever

FinalFantasy4ever Oh where in the world...

I would rather have weather than any old basement. I mean come on, what good is a basement if you can have the house build up? I mean ours, we don't really store anything in it its got work spots since our house is only one story.

7. Mystical Druid

Mystical Druid New Member

hey they can always make the basement a rec room. Besides you don't know how complex the codingworks. Have you ever had a game where you could make an area and enter it and not have the weather effects? Maybe the sims 2 expansion packs or sims 3.

8. Buggersim

Buggersim New Member

If there are no basements, where will the grow op be set up? And where will I hide the evidence?

9. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

I'm not sure how I feel about having to trade out weather to get basements. I guess at least there will be a place to stash away that unsightly exercise equipment now though.... :p

I would have thought having weather effects appear only where there was no roof or flooring to keep it out should have been simple, but since I don't know how all that works in the first place I only have Sims 1 for reference. Still, people make fake snow and rain and stuff as downloads and they just make them some sort of animated object that can only be placed outside..... sigh.... I can hope for a weather expansion pack maybe?

10. Mystical Druid

Basements extrea featuers.

You wouldn't want to sell the teddybear would you? No you would save it for the next geration this basement was made for too young for the household toys.

11. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

Good point! We can have family keepsakes passed on for generations!!! :D

12. rainyinwa

rainyinwa New Member

i understand your being mad as i am mad also but think
    not only do thay have to make the game make it flawless(maxis has a good name thay dont want to relise a bad game just to have to recall it) thay also have to paten it publisise it mass produce it
    thers alot its not simply get a idea make the game and then done
    thers alot and this is a COMPLEX game
    i would love wether also but no raining inside is not kwel and i like the gitting struck by lightning becus everyon knows u dont swim in a lightling storm! lol

13. Vchat20

Vchat20 New Member

what do you mean flawless? as much as i like thie sims, respect and like maxis, all of the ts1 expansions and ts1 itself have had numerous patches released for them. so obviously what they released is anyting but flawless.

back on the subject, i know it is complex. thats obvious. but it doesnt mean maxis can sit back and be lasy. they could atleast try to make weather happen.

14. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

Well they already gave up on basements but then went ahead and did them... so maybe they'll work on the weather again too... eventually... :)

15. Vchat20

Vchat20 New Member

key word "eventually". ;)

16. Mystical Druid

A way for weather that is just too darn cheesy.

They could have a cheesy low quality lame way of weather. Have a little orb that shows the weather. HOWever you goet struck by lihgitning if it is a lightning storm when you get in a pool/bath/shower/hot tub. That would be too cheesy even for Electironic Arts.

17. Tri Ace Fan

Tri Ace Fan New Member

If they're going to include weather like rain, they should also consider an option for turning it off, else all that might kill my computer. x_x;

18. Bookworm42

Bookworm42 Oh No! Bathtime!

Hahaha, funny but I don't think you can get hydroponics equipment on the sims...er...did I say that or just think it?! Just kidding...wait!! Don't they already have the chemistry set on the sims for those "adventurous" types!!

Actually, a basement would be kinda cool but I thought that they couldn't make a 3rd story because of the "quadratic functions" required or something, so wouldn't there be the same problem with designing a program that could make a basement? It's too bad about the weather but having watched my kid designing objects for the game and seeing how much data goes into one item I can't really blame the programmers for saying "forget it!" on something that would be far more complex...hey, I have trouble figuring out how to make my person a superstar!!

19. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

What I heard was they were going to give up on basements at first because the surrounding terrain/ground was blocking the VIEW so you couldn't see inside the basements... but apparantly they found a way to fix that? Maybe the terrain becomes "droppable" like the walls when you're looking in the basement? I'm still surprised they came back to working on basements AFTER announcing they'd given up and there wouldn't be any!! :eek:

20. wize_guy123

wize_guy123 A ***** Retiree

Idea

Well I think I have an Idea...
    They could have made the weather not go inside... such as the sunlight... when all the walls are up... you know?
    well the possible problem is the windows... I could see rain getting in the window... maybe because it was open...
    they could have added extra stuff to the windows... more options..