Is there anywhere to download custom content yet

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by ME!, May 12, 2004.

1. ME!

ME! New Member

Is there anywhere to download custom content yet

I was just wandering if anyone had started making cutom content available for download yet because i dont know how because the instuctions from maxis on how to make custom content cant be de encrypted by my computer

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Not yet... Probably TSR would be ur best bet unless someone comes out with a site.

3. Amy Sims

Amy Sims New Member

Last night I tried to see if there was a way to download the custom Sims2 skins from The Sims2 site but I didn't have any luck. They have tons loaded but I didn't see any way to download it at this time.
    The program is very new and I am sure that anyone trying to make custom content is still in the learning stage.
    Without a doubt, sites will be popping up all over with new skins.

Amy

4. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

This site has some for download: http://light-angels.net/darkmis29/sims/

They are by Magic_Teena.

5. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

Cool! Thanks for the link! I love leopard prints so I HAD to get those, haha! ;) I haven't pulled up my old texture files I was using for sims 1 prints... now where did I put those? :rolleyes:

6. Josh

Josh Owner (SimStuff.com)

A site be be on the way quicker than you think!

7. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

Hey! It's the infamous other Josh! Hi! *wave wave!*

8. KatAnubis

9. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

Thanks for the links! I may have to start downloading stuff but not installing it till I figure out my C drive space problem!! :eek:

10. KatAnubis

Someone on the Sims2 BBS was so upset that they couldn't put their content file on a drive other than C that they were saying they were going to "sue" to make sure that Maxis would make it so that they could put it on a different drive.

While I understand the frustration, it seems to me a little foolish to say they were going to sue over such a minor detail. (But then, I'm not a fan of partitioned drives.)

11. Da Black X

Da Black X New Member

12. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

It's just very frustrating to realize you either have to reformat your entire computer system or not be able to have the custom content you wanted. :( And knowing that most computer programs allow you to choose a save path makes it a bad surprise to find out they didn't include that as an option.

13. KatAnubis

Maybe the updated version that ships with Sims2 will have that as an option.

However, when I was reading the chat from MaxisDarren from the 13th, he mentioned that the "content" needed to be on C:. I wonder *why* they would say it needed to be there. Curious. (Too bad we generally don't hear their reasonings on these things.)

14. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

I'm afraid they're doing it that way to make it simple for players to find their custom content... but it's NOT making it simple for those of us who know how to find a file! :p

15. KatAnubis

You are probably right. But why can't they do what they did for the program itself and allow for "advanced users"?

16. KatAnubis

FaeLuna, this was just posted to the SimsBBS and it might help you with the partitioned drive problem:
    ---------------------
    Subject: Re: can you change the directory for custom downloads...or any
    other data?

I also have a partitioned drive, and in my case My Documents has been
    moved to D: BodyShop plonked all of its custom content directories down
    in that, so I think the issue must be with how you've created your My
    Documents folder on the non-C: drive. As far as I can see, BodyShop
    places its files wherever the Windows registry *thinks* your My Documents
    lives.

Did you just create a folder of that name and point all your programs at
    it, or did you actually move the location so that Windows knows that X:\My
    Documents is your My Documents folder and does all the cool shortcut
    linking to it?

Link to a page describing how to move My Documents:

http://nic.phys.ethz.ch/readme/72

I still want to be able to put it exactly where *I* want it, though, which
    is in my "Games" folder. I back that one up on an entirely different
    frequency to "My Documents", and I'd like to put all those gigantic files
    where I want them rather than where Maxis has arbitrarily decreed they
    should be. :-(
    ------------------------

I saved the response just in case. Please let me know if it works. If not, I'll throw the message away.

17. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

Ooooh thank you SO much for posting this! I tried to move My Documents folder myself and I got an error message saying I couldn't move/delete it because it was necessary for Windows to function! I'll try the instructions in your link url page and hope it works!! Yay! Just the HOPE of it working cheers me up!! :D

18. KatAnubis

I hope it works for you. I thought of you as soon as I saw that message. Since then others have also posted about how to do it, although Manager Josh said he's a bit concerned about people doing it, that they may somehow mess up how Windows works.

So all I can say is: do a back up before you try anything new. That way you can do a system restore if you need to do so.

19. I_bite_138

I_bite_138 New Member

I have a site that I love to annoy people with. The link to it is in my sig. I promise it's not all crap.

I am decent in photoshop, sometimes a ninja if the conditions are right.

20. hyperactivecow

hyperactivecow New Member

Hey! I added some of my custom made stuff to the simstuff.com collection! I love that site ;-) Well worth the visit!