AMD Processor Users?

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by ManagerJosh, Jun 2, 2004.

1. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

AMD Processor Users?

Just wondering here, if I can get a sample demographics here. I've been noticing a common occurance with AMD Users not being able to take advantage of Body Shop so want to see if I can isolate the issue:

Could AMD Processor users (no Not Intel People) AMD users who have body shop answer the following?

Please get the following information from DXDIAG:

Processor:
    Memory:
    System Manufacturer
    System Model:
    Operating System:
    DirectX Version:

Display Device Name:
    Chip Type:

Last but not least, does body shop work for you? :)

2. MeanReitz

MeanReitz New Member

AMD Processors

I've already posted about this on the BBS but I figured it wouldn't hurt to put it here as well. I am running a AMD 2100 and when I first installed bodyshop it worked fine. After a week or so it crashed on me, no idea why, tried the help page fixes now it runs but has the invisible Sim. Anyway here's the computer specs. This is a computer my dad built for me, if that helps any.

System Manufacturer: GBT___
    Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 1
    BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2100+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.7GHz
    Memory: 1024MB RAM
    Page File: 256MB used, 2206MB available
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0b (4.09.0000.0902)
    DX Setup Parameters: None
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.0001.09
    Card name: RADEON 8500 SERIES
    Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
    Chip type: RADEON 8500 AGP (0x514C)02 32bit Unicode
    Display Memory: 64.0 MB

oh yeah and I have RAID but I really don't believe that's a factor..? anyway that's it off the top of my head, if I think of something else or I forgot something I'll add it later.

3. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

One of the theories about "invisible Sims" is that there is something in the motherboard that makes a difference. Perhaps that should be listed as well. It's confusing since some people have been able to fix it by putting in another Athalon processor (but an older one). Others have fixed it by changing to a different video card.

Hopefully someone will figure this out because it's frustrating a lot of people. (I don't have the problem, but I'm keeping an eye out for solutions. I figure that way I'll learn more about how computers work. Also, I may be able to help someone who does have the problem.)

4. MeanReitz

MeanReitz New Member

I think it's frustrating because really my computer should be more than enough to run the game, I don't know really. My dad and I are going to see what video cards he has laying around but honestly I won't spend more money on it to get it running. If my pre-ordered copy of the Sims2 doesn't run I suppose I'll be selling it on e-bay. I'm still crossing my fingers in the hopes that something will be resolved before the September release date or perhaps AMD will be clued in and offer a fix themselves. It's also weird but I could never get Sims Online to run on my computer but every other game seems to work fine. I am having some problems with my RAID and I'm going to be taking the computer over to my dad's this weekend to fix that. He offered to take a look at BS to see if he could figure something out, but he's just a Microsoft Engineer so *chuckles* he'll probably just charge me 70 dollars a minute and speak in a new language while asking if I "rebooted" the computer. :winks:

P.S. As far as the motherboard I'm not sure... AMD 761?

5. ManagerJosh

Any chance you know your motherboard manufacturer, model, and chipset? :)

6. MeanReitz

MeanReitz New Member

motherboard name

You know I'm not really sure how to check? Short of taking it apart? All I'm seeing is System Model AWRDACPI, I'd have to ask my father and unfortunately he's not home from work yet lol. I'll have to give him a call later tonight.

7. MeanReitz

MeanReitz New Member

Hey I got it working! I checked other gaming sites for other games experiencing problems with AMD processors, and one suggested changing the compatibility to Windows 98, so I right clicked on the Bodyshop shortcut, changed to compatibility for Windows 98 and now it works... go figure! I posted it on the BBS as well hopefully it might work for someone else.. of all the things!

8. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

Yay I'm glad you got it working! And thanks for telling us HOW you got it to work... wow, that's weird having to change the compatability, but I think I've heard of having to do that with other things before. I'll have to remember to try that next time something goes wrong like that....

9. KatAnubis

Yeah!!! I hope that other people can benefit from your experience.

10. msemliitah

msemliitah New Member

my computer specs

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.0GHz
    Memory:608MB RAM
    System Manufacturer: eMachines, Inc
    System Model: L7VMM2
    Operating System: Windows XP Home
    DirectX Version: 9.0b

Display Device Name: S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR
    Chip Type: S3 ProSavage DDR
    Memory: 32 MB

Ok, BodyShop works for me with exception to the invisible sim. I know my video card is unsupported, but I also know several people have had the same card and processor, replaced their cards with new supported cards, and still had the same problem. At the moment I'm waiting for someone to pop up with the same processor and system model as I have that have bodyshop working, and find out what video card they have..until I have that, I'm expecting that I'll have to probably go out and get a whole new computer basically(upgrading the motherboard and the video card)..anyways I hope you'll post anything you find on the sims home bbs as well ManagerJosh..

11. bratnic

bratnic New Member

Are you still doing this?

Processor: AMD Athlon 3000+ (2.2 GHz)
    Memory: 512 MB DDR RAM
    System Manufacturer: eMachines / owned by Gateway
    System Model: T3092
    Operating System: Windows XP
    DirectX Version: Directx 9 (the one that works with bodyshop)

Display Device Name: nVidia GeForce FX5200 PCI 128MB DDR
    Chip Type:??

Last but not least, does body shop work for you?
    Yes... very well actually... except my sims come up black in the showcase.

12. Kory

Kory New Member

invisibility problem

------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 8/25/2004, 14:21:59
    Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2
    System Manufacturer: HP Pavilion 061
    System Model: PC028A-ABA A620N
    BIOS: Phoenix - Award BIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3200+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.2GHz
    Memory: 448MB RAM
    Page File: 245MB used, 809MB available
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP
    Manufacturer: VIA/S3 Graphics, Inc.
    Chip type: VIA/S3G UniChrome IGP
    DAC type: Internal
    Display Memory: 64.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1600 x 1200 (32 bit) (75Hz)
    Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
    ----
    Body Shop runs fine in terms of letting me create and even export models, but there's no mannequin which means I'm pretty much flying blind. Yeah, okay, my integrated video card isn't the best, but I'm well above specs overall, and I'm not going to run out and buy a new video card just to play the Sims 2.

And no, switching compatability did nothing.

I refuse to buy a copy of the game until such time as I'm assured it will work on my machine, so I sure hope someone figures this out. Guess it's a good thing I hadn't yet pre-ordered.

13. ManagerJosh

DId you try one of the body shop solutions we listed on the forums?

14. Kory

Kory New Member

As I said, the work-around did nothing.

15. KatAnubis

The problem is probably with the video card. People who have the S3 video cards are having a really tough problem with invisible Sims. (Prosavage does it too.)

I've heard a rumor that Maxis may have worked out a fix for the incompatibilities (which are not just for TS2 but for other games such as Age of Mythology as well), but so far no one has said what they are and they have not begun to list those cards as being "supported" when the changed the supported list recently.

16. Kory

Kory New Member

Thanks, KatAnubis. I'm unfortunately not surprised, ultimately, that it's an issue, but I'm disappointed since the published game specs make it sound like video card is only important at low processor speed.

17. KatAnubis

It's a shame that they don't publish a "recommended" set of specs. That would be more indicative of how important the video card is.

However, whenever it has come up on the official BBS in the TS2 part, MaxisLucky has told us that although it may run close to the minimums, if you want a good gaming experience the key really is to have the best possible video card your machine can use with the most video memory. While that doesn't get published in the "specs" it should warn us that lower quality or older cards won't do as well.

18. daddy

daddy New Member

Hiya,

I have an:

AMD Athlon 1800+ 1.5Ghz
    384MB RAM
    GeForce 3 200ti 128MB Ram

Body Shop works great for me. Not one problem...(course now that I say this... LOL).

D

19. Kory

Kory New Member

I don't mind if it runs slow as long as it runs. I just don't have the spare cash to buy a new video card, and certainly not that AND a brand-new $50 game. I just spent all my free cash on this computer! (The old one would have died if I'd brought the game into the same room, let alone tried to install it.)

I'm not really big into gaming, and most of the games I own are older anyhow (like, say, the original Sims :D), and will run fine on this box w/o a new video card. It's true at some point I intend to upgrade but it's going to be a while before I can.

For the sake of others reading this thread: I've tried the various hardware acceleration settings on this card. On about half of them Body Shop just crashes; on the other half, I have the same problem with the invisible Sim. So unfortunately there probably isn't anything that can be done other than either getting a new card or hoping Maxis can find a fix.

20. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Re Kory's S3 card woes ... I always thought that Maxis's min sys requirements looked a bit optimistic for PCs without a T&L video card. (S3 isn't a T&L job). I suspect that by Sunday 19th Sept there'll be hoards of angry/disappointed customers clogging the returns desks at PCWorlds clones all over the planet .... :(