Does anyone have this problem???

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by EwanGirl5, Jul 15, 2004.

1. EwanGirl5

EwanGirl5 New Member

Does anyone have this problem???

It all happened a long-long time ago... I can't quite figure out what I was doing when this virus or whatever-it-was screwed up my computer but one thing I know is this... I can't open any folder (My Computer, Control Panel, etc.) and when I try to the Taskbar, along with all icons on the desktop, disappears. The computer makes a humming noise for a few seconds and then stops abruptly and everything goes back to where it was. I've lived OK with this... If I want something inside a folder I can access it through a program and create a short-cut for it on my desktop but this sure is a hassle...

Did anyone have this problem? Or at least know what it is? And how do I fix it???

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

perchance could you take a screenshot of your desktop and upload it for us to see? :D

3. EwanGirl5

EwanGirl5 New Member

The first picture is what my computer looks like when I try to open a folder then try and minimize the window I'm using... See everything goes away and since there is no taskbar for the window to go into it just shrinks into the desktop.

The second picture is what my computer looks like when I'm using a program and try to open a folder.

The only way I can access folders is through a program (picture 3)

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      149.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      311.5 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      302.4 KB
      Views:
  4. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

LOL I've never seen a computer do this although I know what's happening.
    When you do whatever you're doing, something is shutting down explorer.exe
    I used to kill explorer.exe when I played SimCity 4, to free up RAM. To restart the 'taskbar' I would press Ctrl+Alt+Delete, go to Applications, Click New Task...
    Type explorer.exe
    That's how I got it back although I don't know why your computer is doing that.:confused:

5. EwanGirl5

EwanGirl5 New Member

Thanks. But the freaky thing is that I don't even need to go into Task Manager to restart it... It restarts on it's own.

I'm just gonna have to to take it somewhere, get it fixed.

6. cyber_256

cyber_256 New Member

I have the exact same problem with XP, but all I have to do is restart explorer and things work fine. I'm sort of used to it already, :p, so I barely notice it anymore.

7. copter

copter New Member

If you kill Explorer.exe through taskman, it might respawn. More or less, it comes back just to spite you. ;p
    Copter.

8. Gebbinn

Gebbinn New Member

There are a number of things you can try. First.. go to "Start>Run" Type in "Msconfig" and hit enter... then go to the "Startup" tab and click on the "Disable All" (*NOTE: Do NOT mess with any other tab in Msconfig, you can destroy your operating system.. *NOTE: Disable All will shut down your Virus configuration files also, so be careful while running in this mode).. Now restart your computer and see if you still have the same problem.

IF you still have the problem.. go back into Msconfig and renable your programs and proceed to the next step.. IF this solves the problem.. go into Msconfig and turn programs back on ONE AT A TIME, and restart each time.. until you get the problem again.. then you know what program is causing the problem, and you can uninstall it.

IF you still have the problem after Msconfig... then you need to get your hands on a registry fixer file. Symantec system works is a good one to use. Run the registry fixer and let it fix all errors on its own. I cant tell you specifics here, because each one has its own way of doing things... you will just have to get a program and run it and learn on your own.

IF this doesnt fix the problem... Get Spybot Search and Destroy.. or any other good Spybot proggy.. Spybot is free, so thats why I suggest it... and install and run the program.. always check for updates to the program before you run it... let it run and delete all errors it finds.

IF this doesnt fix the problem... Backup all your important files.. either by burning them to CD, or putting them on a second hard drive or zip drive.. then Reformat your hard drive and reinstall windows. This is of course a last ditch effort.. but the computer repair company I work for reccomends that you reformat your hard drive and reinstall windows every 6-9 months regardless... so its something to keep in mind regardless.