Pay sites?

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by grizfan235, Aug 21, 2004.

?

Did anybody use paysites for downloading?

Poll closed Sep 5, 2004.
  1. Yes, I have, why?

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No, I have not, why?

12 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. grizfan235

grizfan235 New Member

Pay sites?

Are pay sites worth it? I never used them because I could always the stuff I wanted for free like skins/objects/npc's. Did any of you use 8th deadly sim, etc.? Stuff I most downloaded were rare stuff with realistic logos/themes(like Hooters restaurants).

I guess you could always use it once for 30 days and download everything in that time frame...

2. afropower234

afropower234 Truly Ancient

I always was able to find stuff for free so I never needed a paysite. THey actually annoyed me, who wants to pay 30 dollars for sims downloads.

3. Vchat20

Vchat20 New Member

i completely agree with afro. majority of the time, you can find what you need for free download. as well, why would anyone pay upwards of $30 just to download items where you can get the same or similar items for free. makes absolutely no sense.

4. cyber_256

cyber_256 New Member

Some paysites are run by people who actually depend on the income from the pay sites as a major source of income. Obviously, they can't compete with people who do it for fun, giving away free creations. My advice? Get a job. It's useless trying to make money online unless you're selling software that's really worth the money.

5. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

I've used some paysites in the past, mostly to get things that were not offered any other way (such as some of the clothing and head meshes.)

However, I also used them for some items which I thought were special. It turns out that I ended up not using them because they had just as many problems as things from the free sites. (Such as things from the first floor coming up through the second floor or through the wall next to it. Odd interactions sometimes happened too because they didn't take up the same space as the base object they used. All sorts of other problems.)

Since those experiences, I have rarely used paysites. I think that the only ones I'd use are ones that are vetted by others for being special (for example, things like the meshes I'd probably still go for if people used them and they weren't wonky.)

6. afropower234

Making money is hard enough as it is, so when I get my measly paycheck I try and spend it on something that I can use that will benifet me. WHich may at the time be a game, supplies for class or whatever. I cant possibly waste my precious money on something that may not even work on my computer. (Paysites are so shady.) :ermm: :ermm: :ermm: Besides some of those paysites have sold thier works to other sites who post them as free. YOu can always get sims downloads for free and I don't trust any site that doesn't say Maxis or Worldsims anymore because a bad download screwed my computer. (Thank GOd it was under warranty) because it needed almost $500 in repairs.

7. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Only once though and never again. I think it is rather sad, in some ways, that The Sims spawned so much in the way of fan-sites. Obviously it is fabulous that Maxis wants (and needs) fan support becasue the whole idea of the franchise is that we gamers are not limited to the stuff that the game's makers give us. On the downside (and this is the sad bit) running a website isn't the cinch we might want it to be. Creating a good website, such as this one, demands a level of talent that is ... professional on every level (from technical expertise thru dedication to duty to professional PR skills and discretion!). Having such skills means that the webmasters are not gonna be content with Tripod webspace. :rolleyes:

A popular website offering a few hundred downloads can easily take up 100+MB webspace and use more than 10GB/month in bandwidth ... that can cost bigtime, can't it, Josh. Someone has to pay, I suppose, but it seems daft that those who are asked to pay end up paying (indirectly) a big anonymous corp for the bandwidth and not a dedicated fan for his/her talent. :mad:

One way might be for the talented object makers, skin & mesh designers out there to offer small packages of their stuff for sale on ebay (eg 20 skins for $5 inc post and packing - sell 50 discs and after deducting costs you'd earn around $7 a skin) ... 'course pirating would be a problem ... :disappointed:

8. Supernova

Supernova New Member

I understand WHY paysites are paysites, that they need money to keep running. But I would never, ever, pay for some download in a game. I would probably lose interest in the game eventually, and then I would have wasted my money on something that didnt really matter anyway. I dont like paying for a game, and then paying more to play it. Which is why I hate MMO games. Its like Diablo 2, which there are a lot of paysites for. You pay for some super item, then forget to play you character for a few months, and your charcter is deleted. You just wasted your money.

9. grizfan235

grizfan235 New Member

Yeah, exactly. I could pay download stuff from a site, then the day after my subscription runs out and I get a virus. I would have to reboot/erase everything, so the stuff I payed for would be gone useless I payed again.

The only stuff I wanted for S1 that couldn't find was a good looking Hooters' restaurant set and 8thdeadlysim had the best. But I was going to pay for a 30day fee for possibly one or two things that I want....

10. Trinasis

Trinasis New Member

Why would I use a pay site? I think it's a waste of time for me!

11. afropower234

And Money!!

12. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

mostly I haven't wanted to use pay sites because people are willing to share for free, 2ndly I'm not signed up for paypoint or whatever. also not sure of fair prices for someones minutes or hours of work....

13. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

I have a subscription to one. I let it end when I wasn't playing The Sims as much. Now that TS2 is coming out, I renewed it to download the items for Body Shop. I totally agree that not everything you get from these sites are as top-notch as you'd expect for a pay-site. I have had several bad files that when I try to use them, the face goes black. And, I stopped using the forums because they are so closely moderated that if you ask a question they think has been answered once in their super-gigantic archives, they won't post it!!

14. Supernova

Supernova New Member

bah. I curse the money grubbing pay sites.

15. ringleesim

ringleesim Computer Overlord

I think it's a waste of money when other places are giving away the same thing for free!

16. Supernova

Supernova New Member

My thoughts exactly.

17. ringleesim

ringleesim Computer Overlord

You know every time I log on I look at The Sims 2 Cat. and this same old poll stays....... That's it, I'm posting on a different thread now!

18. ToxicSugarDotNet

ToxicSugarDotNet New Member

I used one before and it wasnt all that great! Im thinking about opening my own site where people can join and submit things and others can download and review but I havent decided! but i will never again use a pay site its not worth it!

19. Trinasis

Trinasis New Member

oh that is good! ToxicSugarDotNet! You should do that! But I think I got into alot of paysites and alot of them did waste my time but I still did it don't really know why!

20. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Isn't that what SimStuff is all about?